Even though iOS devices feature convincing performance, they tend to experience some troubles, at least on an occasional basis. ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘ is one of those issues experienced by a considerable number of iPhone users.
Well, this article is just for you if you have experienced such an issue with your iOS device lately. So, read this article.
Important: Don’t forget to create a backup of your data. We strongly recommend you create a backup of your existing data before performing any fix on your iPhone. Such an approach minimizes the risk of losing your data if anything goes wrong.
Backups become really important, particularly in the event of restoring your iPhone after a serious fix. So, don’t forget to back up your data before trying any fix on your device.
Besides, if you are bothered by cellular update failure, here are the best solutions.
Part 1: What Are the Quick Fixes to ‘Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network’ on the iPhone?
Before moving into advanced solutions, it is always better to try some quick and basic fixes on the device. Mentioned below are some of the quick fixes you can try. If you are lucky enough, these quick fixes might solve the issue without much trouble.
PS: Should you have issues with iPhone no service. Here are the best answers.
Quick Fix 01
- First, you should go to the ‘Settings‘ app and select ‘Cellular.’
- Then, tap on the ‘Cellular Data‘ switch and turn it off.
- Go back to the home screen and wait for about 30 seconds.
- Now, go to the ‘Settings‘ app and select ‘Cellular.’
- Go to ‘Cellular Data‘ and turn it on.
Quick Fix 02
- First, turn off the LTE settings of the device. To do this, you should go to the ‘Settings‘ app and select ‘Mobile‘ > ‘Mobile Data Options‘ and ‘Enable/Disable LTE‘.
Quick Fix 03
- Connect your iOS device to a trusted Wi-Fi network and wait for about 30 seconds.
Quick Fix 04
Perform a restart on your iOS device.
- If you are using iOS 11 or the newer version, go to Settings, General, and select ‘Shut Down.’
- For iPhone 8 or earlier, press and hold the Top/Side button to see the slider. Then, drag it to turn off the device. Once the device is turned off, press the same button once again to see the Apple logo.
- For iPhone X, press and hold the Side button with the Volume up or down button. Once the slider appears, just drag it to turn off the device. Press and hold the side button to see the Apple logo.
- Press and hold the Side button and either volume button until the slider appears
- To force restart an iPhone X, 8, or 8 Plus, press and release the Volume Up button. Then, do the same with the Volume Down button as well. After that, press and hold the Side button to see the Apple Logo.
- To force restart an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, press the Side and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. Hold these buttons for about 10 seconds.
- For iPhone 6S and older versions, you should press and hold the Home and Top/Side buttons simultaneously. Hold these buttons for about seconds to see the Apple logo.
Also, if you are facing the iPhone 12 unable to activate issue, here are the top solutions.
Part 2: Use 3rd Party Professional Tools (Recommended Method)
If the fixes mentioned in PART 01 don’t work for you, you might need an advanced solution. However, the term ‘Advanced’ doesn’t mean you have to be tech-savvy.
Instead, you can use a sophisticated tool like Tenorshare ReiBoot to repair your iOS device. This tool can address a variety of issues related to iOS devices but not just one issue.
For instance, it fixes issues like White Screen, Black Screen, Apple Logo, Stuck on Recovery Mode, Restart Loop, etc. The most important thing about this tool is that it doesn’t cause any data loss.
How to Repair Your iOS Device Using ReiBoot.
Step 1. Before you start repairing your iOS device, it is mandatory that you download and install this professional iOS Repair tool on your computer. And then connect your iPhone to the PC or Mac.
After that, click the iOS System Repair, which will easily fix all your iOS problems. Once your iPhone is detected, you will see it below.
Step 2. Now, please click Start Repair, then this tool will list the latest iOS firmware to download and download the right one for your iPhone.
Step 3. After downloading the firmware for your iPhone, click the ‘Standard Repair‘ button to recover your iPhone system and repair the ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ issue for you.
2. iToolab FixGo
iToolab FixGo is another professional tool that can help fix this annoying issue without affecting your iPhone’s data. It does this job automatically to save time.
Key Features of iToolab FixGo:
- Locate the issues with your iPhone/iPad using its independently developed technology & get your device back to work normally in just simple clicks with no data loss;
- Repair all software errors automatically, including iPhone being stuck in recovery mode, reboot looping, black screen, and even the issues caused by the iOS update;
- Fix problems on all iPhones, including the iPhone 14/13/12/11/XR/XS;
- Offer a 100% success rate when repairing your iOS system issues;
- Let’s you enter/exit recovery mode easily.
Simple Steps to Fix Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network Issue Via iToolab FixGo
Step 1. Please download and launch iToolab FixGo. Connect your iPhone to your PC or Mac.
Then choose the Standard Mode as below.
Step 2. Tip the Fix Now to continue. Please unlock your iPhone if it’s locked. Then iToolab FixGo can detect your iPhone.
Step 3. Now, FixGo will provide the firmware for your iPhone automatically. Please choose the right one and download it.
Step 4. Once the firmware is downloaded, click the Fix Now button. The software will locate and fix your iOS issues that cause the ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ problem properly. Please make sure your iPhone is connected well till the job is done.
When the whole process is done, your iPhone will restart, and the issue of cellular data must have gone.
Part 3: Reset the Network Settings
This is another basic fix that may work for some users. Mentioned below are the steps to do it.
- Go to the ‘Settings‘ app.
- Go to ‘General‘ and select ‘Reset.’ Tap on the option called ‘Reset Network Settings.’
- When prompted, provide the password to proceed.
- At the completion of the process, restart the iOS device, and connect it to the data network.
By the way, let’s learn more about how to unlock a MetroPCS phone.
Part 4: See If There Is a Carrier Settings Update
In certain cases, the ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ issue might occur due to carrier settings issues. In that case, you should update the carrier settings manually. Follow the steps mentioned below to get it done.
Connect the Device to Your Wi-fi Network As the First Step,
- Go to the ‘Settings‘ app and select ‘General.’ Then, select the ‘About‘ option as well. If there is an update, you will see the notification now.
- To confirm the carrier settings, go to ‘Settings‘ and select ‘General.’ Then, go to ‘About‘ and select ‘Carrier.’
Removing and Reinserting Your SIM Card is Another Handy Method to Check the Carrier Connection.
So, you can try to re-insert your SIM card to get the carrier connection refreshed. Also, if you are using a new SIM card, make sure that the carrier settings are downloaded properly.
Part 5: Perform a Factory Reset
If none of the above solutions work, you should go for a factory reset. In fact, you should consider this solution as a last resort. This method will erase all the data (including personal information as well as network settings).
Therefore, we strongly suggest you create a backup of your data before performing this method. Here’s how to do it.
- 1) Go to ‘Settings‘ and select ‘General.’ Go to ‘Reset‘ and choose ‘Reset All Content and Settings.’
- 2) After the process, your device will restart.
- 3) Go to ‘Set Up Your Device‘ on the main screen.
- 4) Select ‘Restore from iCloud Backup.’
- 5) Provide the Apple account credentials to access the backup files and restore the data.
- 6) Connect the iPhone to your computer and open iTunes.
- 7) Select the ‘Summary‘ tab and go to ‘Restore Backup.’
Also, you can try the best fix for the cellular network not available problem.
Facing the “Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network” issue can be frustrating, but as we’ve explored in this guide, there are various strategies you can use to resolve and even prevent this problem. Remember, when in doubt, reaching out to your service provider is always a viable option.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why am I seeing the “Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network” message?
This message usually appears when your device is unable to establish a connection with the cellular data network. This could be due to problems with your network provider, device settings, or device software.
2. How can I prevent cellular data activation problems?
Regularly updating your device’s software, checking network settings, and staying informed about your service provider’s updates can help prevent these issues.
3. Does restarting my device always solve the problem?
Not always, but it’s a simple first step to clear temporary software glitches. If the problem persists, further troubleshooting may be necessary.
4. Do software updates cause cellular data network activation issues?
Sometimes, software updates can introduce bugs that interfere with cellular data activation. However, software updates often also contain fixes for these issues, so it’s still important to keep your device updated.
5. Who should I contact if the problem persists?
If the issue remains unresolved after trying the provided solutions, you should contact your service provider for further assistance.