As of today, Facebook Messenger has become the norm in society. It is convenient, quick, and widely available.
Combining your iPhone or Android and Facebook Messenger makes communication easier and more exciting.
However, like with any other app, users may experience various issues with the Facebook Messenger app.
This article is just for you if you experience an issue like Facebook Messenger not working on Android or iOS.
For your convenience, we have divided this article into two parts. The first part is dedicated to Android device users, and the second is written for iOS users.
If your Facebook Messenger is not working, let’s learn the possible causes and how to address them successfully.
Part 1. Facebook Messenger Not Working on Android
In this article section, we’ll explain what you must do if Facebook Messenger is not working on Android. As we notice, Facebook Messenger is an exceptionally popular app among Android users.
The Android operating system generally supports almost all apps without any trouble. Compared to iOS, Android offers more flexibility.
However, many Android users claim they experience issues with the Facebook Messenger app. If you notice that Facebook Messenger is not working on Android, this section is just for you.
Here are the most common issues associated with the Facebook Messenger app on Android OS. Now, let’s look at the above scenarios and possible solutions to address them.
Besides, if you are experiencing the Facebook dating not showing up issue, don’t worry; let’s figure out its possible reasons and the best solutions here.
1. You Cannot See the Messages on the Facebook Messenger App
This is a very common issue among Facebook Messenger users these days. Although the app looks fine, you cannot necessarily read the messages if this issue persists.
But, before looking for a fix to this issue, you should ensure that the device has internet. Many users experience the above issue due to a connectivity problem.
If the internet is available but cannot see the messages, clear the cache of Facebook Messenger.
Also, if you wonder how to unignore someone on Messenger, it is not that difficult if you know the steps correctly; here are the different methods you can try.
Steps to Clear the Cache of the Facebook Messenger.
1. Make sure that Facebook Messenger is completely stopped (it shouldn’t run in the background). Otherwise, it will add a new cache when it updates in the background.
2. Go to the settings of your Android and then go to the options Applications Manager.
3. When you are in the applications manager, you should scroll down to Facebook Messenger and get it opened. You will see a lot of details displayed under this option. The size of the app, the amount of data it has, etc., will be displayed.
4. Navigate towards the option “Clear Cache” and tap on it. Then, tap on the option “Clear Data.”
You can check the app now and see if it works correctly.
2. You Cannot Send or Receive Messages
It can be a temporary issue if you cannot send or receive messages through Facebook Messenger. It can be an internet connectivity error or another error associated with the device.
First, you must check if the friends you are trying to message haven’t blocked you. If you are not being blocked and the problem persists, you should try something else.
1. Check if the internet connectivity is up and running perfectly. To do this, you can visit a website on the same device and check.
2. Try using the message after restarting the phone. Please note that you will have to use different methods to restart different models of Android devices.
3. If none of the above works, try to clear the cache data through Applications Manager.
3. Your Facebook Messenger Not Working on Android Completely
If your Facebook Messenger app is not working on Android completely, there can be several reasons behind it. It can be a corrupted app, malware attack, outdated app, or something else.
In general, the issue might be related to software. Facebook Messenger has several minor glitches that are gradually addressed by updates.
- Launch the Google Play Store app.
- Go to My Apps & Games.
- Scroll down to Facebook Messenger and check if there is a label called “Update.”
- Tap on it to update.
However, if Facebook Messenger is already updated, you should try a reinstallation. To do that, you must first uninstall the app. Then, find the app on Google Play Store and install it.
The abovementioned options will be handy for Facebook Messenger not working on Android. However, if none of the options doesn’t work for you, you may report it to Facebook.
To minimize the issues related to Facebook Messenger, we recommend you keep it updated all the time.
Also, it is always important to keep the device’s operating system updated. Such an approach will help you experience the best out of your device, whether Android or iOS.
Part 2: Facebook Messenger Not Working on iOS
First, look at the common issues associated with the Facebook Messenger app on your iOS device.
1. Facebook Messenger Doesn’t Display the Messages
Facebook Messenger becomes utterly useless if it doesn’t display messages. What is the point of having a messaging app if you cannot see the messages? An issue must be addressed if your Facebook Messenger app doesn’t display the messages.
If you experience such an issue, the first thing is to check if there is an internet connection. It is a no-brainer that Facebook Messenger needs an internet connection to display the messages.
2. Facebook Messenger App Cannot Deliver Or Receive New Messages
This is another common problem that Facebook users experience. This issue can be a minor software glitch or a problem associated with an internet connection.
Also, it is better to check if your Facebook friends block you. Such an issue can also occur when others have marked your Facebook message as spam.
3. You Cannot Launch the Facebook Messenger App
There are many occasions when users cannot open their Facebook Messenger app on their iOS devices. Sometimes, the app tends to crash soon after opening, or it may not open.
Such an error can result from a virus attack or a software malfunction. You can either reinstall the app or update it to fix this issue. For most users, those remedies work without any issues.
4. Facebook Messenger Not Working on iOS After an iOS Update
Some iOS users say that they experience issues with their Facebook Messenger app after an iOS update.
IOS updates can necessarily affect some of the functions associated with your iPhone. To resolve this issue, Apple offers a solution to fix the issues associated with the iPhones.
What Are the Real Solutions on iOS?
Regardless of your issue with the Facebook Messenger app, here are the real fixes you can try. As we have witnessed, these solutions can fix nearly any issue associated with the Facebook app on your phone.
We expect you to go through the options mentioned below and try them leisurely without panicking.
By the way, if your OK Google is not working, just click to fix it now.
A. Restart the Facebook Messenger App
This is one of the most basic but effective solutions to address glitches associated with the Facebook Messenger app. Restarting the Facebook Messenger app takes only several seconds.
Below are the steps you should follow to restart the app.
- Perform a double tap on the home button so you will get access to the recently used app
- Locate the Facebook Messenger app and swipe it up
- Open the Facebook Messenger app once again and see if it works properly
B. Update the Existing App or Reinstall It
If you still cannot use the Facebook Messenger app, you should consider updating it or reinstalling it.
You should go to the App Store and find Facebook Messenger to update the app. If there is an update, you will be able to see it. You can proceed to update the app, and it will work perfectly.
If you don’t have an update, you should reinstall the app. To reinstall an app, you must go to the Facebook Messenger app on the home screen.
Then, tap on the app and hold it to see an “X.” Delete the app by tapping this “X.” Go to the App Store now and install the Facebook Messenger app.
C. Perform a Restart on Your iPhone
Restarting the device is a very effective option to fix various glitches associated with your iOS device. You can also try the same method to address errors associated with Facebook Messenger.
After restarting the device, you should check if the Facebook Messenger app is working.
D. Reset Your iPhone’s Network Settings
In many instances, your Facebook Messenger app may not work if your network settings are incorrect.
So, it is always better to reset the network settings and check if it works. You can follow the steps below to reset the network settings.
- Go to the “Settings” app and tap “General.”
- Tap on the option “Reset.”
- Tap on the option labeled “Reset Network Settings.”
- Confirm the action to complete the process.
In addition, here is everything about com.facebook.orca for your reference.
E. Fix Potential Errors in Your iOS
If you don’t get satisfactory results through the options above, some serious issues can be addressed. To address such an issue, you will have to fix the potential errors associated with iOS.
To do that, you will have to use a powerful tool like Tenorshare ReiBoot. This powerful tool comes with various features to repair your iOS to perfection.
- It can easily fix issues like being stuck on recovery/DFU mode, Apple Logo, etc.
- Be able to address all the iOS-related issues on your device.
- It can address potential bugs in the iOS device.
- It can help you fix the device without causing any data loss.
- Convenient user interface with impressive speed.
In a nutshell, Tenorshare ReiBoot is a must-have for any iOS device user.
Those are the real fixes you can use if Facebook Messenger is not working on the iOS device.
The Bottom Line
Please note that Facebook Messenger is a different app from the Facebook app you normally use. The sole purpose of Facebook Messenger is to send and receive messages.
You don’t need to always log in to the Facebook app when you have Facebook Messenger. Instead, you can receive, read, and send messages through Messenger.
Also, this app allows you to make video and voice call over the internet to other users. That means it also works as a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) app. So, it has become a very useful app in recent years.
If you find your Facebook Messenger not working on iOS or Android, there is no need to panic.
Instead, you can go through the options mentioned in this article and try to resolve them. If none of the options work, we recommend you report it to Facebook officials.