Liquid detected in the lightning connector on your iPhone is a severe issue. It can damage the logic board of your device and cause permanent damage to your iPhone.
The liquid detected in the lightning connector warning message may pop up on your screen if the iPhone is exposed to any liquid or due to a glitch.
If this happens, there are several things that you need to do right away so that you can save your phone from getting damaged permanently.
To learn what to do and what not to do to resolve the liquid detected in the lightning connector issue, read this article.
What Does the Warning Notice on the iPhone That Reads “Liquid Detected in Lightning Connection” Indicates?
Your iPhone has been exposed to liquid if you notice the warning message, “Liquid detected in Lightning connection,” on it.
If your phone is touched by a drop of water, coffee, beer, or any other liquid, a warning message may appear.
This is a reminder from Apple to remind you not to use your iPhone until it is adequately dried and cleaned. This does not mean there’s anything wrong with your device!
Besides, let’s figure out the possible reasons for the issue of the Find My AirPods sound pending, and we will also learn how to fix them quickly & simply.
What Should You Not Do When Liquid is Detected in the Lightning Connector on Your iPhone?
Below mentioned are the things that you should avoid doing when liquid is detected in the lightning connector on your iPhone:
- Do not use the iPhone. Liquid damage can cause short circuits and corrosion in an iPhone. This can lead to permanent damage or failure of your device.
- Do not turn on the iPhone or connect it to a computer. This may cause further damage. And doing this can also void your warranty if you still have one left over from when you first purchased it.
- Do not charge the iPhone at all. You don’t want any more water getting into it than there already has been! So, don’t think of charging the iPhone in this state. (how to get water out of iPhone charging port)
- Do not use a hair dryer to dry out your iPhone. These methods will likely cause permanent damage to the device. Also, avoid putting your iPhone in direct sunlight. Exposure to UV rays can cause corrosion and other issues with the case of the phone.
Things You Should Do When Liquid is Detected in the Lightning Connector on Your iPhone
Now let’s see what you must do to fix the liquid detected in the lightning connector problem.
So, let’s check the below fixes now. But remember, the below-mentioned steps will only work if your iPhone is exposed to liquid.
1. Unplug All iPhone Accessories from Your iPhone
If you want to fix the light detected in the lightning connector problem in your iPhone, it’s important to unplug all accessories from it.
This includes anything plugged into the lightning connector and other ports. Such as a case or charging cable. Make sure to remove any Apple Watch straps and bands as well.
When all accessories are removed, look at all sides of your phone for any signs of liquid damage. If there is no visible damage, proceed with drying out your device as described in our next section below.
If you find liquid damage, clean the phone with a microfiber cloth. Do this to remove any excess water from your iPhone. Then, leave the device alone for at least 24 hours to dry out completely.
2. Try Air-drying to Remove the Liquid Detected in the Lightning Connector
If you suspect that liquid has gotten into your iPhone’s lightning connector, the most common thing to do is air-dry it.
You can do this by placing your iPhone in a dry place. And leave it there for several hours until all visible moisture has disappeared.
Consult an expert if you’re unsure about whether liquid got into your phone and how to deal with it safely. And air-drying can help cure the iPhone with light detected in the lightning connector.
3. Keep the iPhone in a Container of Silica Gel Packets for Two Days
Silica gel packets are included in most new electronic devices. So if you have one of these items around the house, you can use it to dry out your iPhone.
Silica gel absorbs moisture and should take up to two days to completely dry your iPhone. After two days, turn the phone to see if it typically works again.
If not, continue using silica gel packets until the light detected in the lightning connector problem is fixed.
If you don’t have any silica gel packets, you can buy them from drugstores or hardware stores. You’ll need three or four packs—the exact number will depend on your container size.
4. Put the Water-damaged iPhone in a Bowl of Rice to Dry the Moisture
To help the water to dry and fix the light detected in the lightning connector, you can put the iPhone in a bowl of rice.
It is better to put the iPhone in a bowl of uncooked rice. So as to be on the safe side and prevent any more risk of damage.
Do not turn your iPhone on while it is in the rice bowl! Turning on your iPhone while still moist inside could short-circuit its electrical system and worsen things.
You shouldn’t try drying out your phone with a hair dryer or any other method that involves heating components inside the device. The goal is simply to allow evaporation over 24 hours (or however long it takes until all signs of water are gone).
After 24 hours, remove your phone from its bowl. And see if any liquid remains visible around or inside its ports or opening edges.
If there’s no sign of moisture left, you can try turning on your device again. But only do so after taking care not to disturb any loose pieces inside the iPhone.
Things to Do When Liquid Detected in a Lightning Connector Without Water Expose
If you see the liquid detected in the lightning connector message, it’s vital to take action immediately.
If your iPhone has not been in contact with water and the issue pops up, follow these instructions:
1. Force Restart Your iPhone
If the issue is with the lightning connector, sometimes it can be resolved by force restarting your iPhone.
To do this, press and hold the power button (located on the right side) and the sleep/wake button (located at the top edge) for 10 seconds.
If you still have the light detected in the lightning connector issue after doing this, try again. But keep holding down until you see the Apple logo on the screen or hear a sound.
If that doesn’t work, try a hard reset:
- Hold down on Sleep/Wake until options appear – click Power off.
- Press Volume Up when asked if you want to use Settings as an outlet to restore iPhone
- When asked which device wants to restore from the Backup, just select your Backup. And confirm once again that, yes, you would like to continue restoring from the Backup.
2. Update Your iPhone and Reboot
Here are the steps to update your iPhone to fix the light detected in the lightning connector error warning:
- Update your iPhone to the latest iOS version. If you don’t see any pending update notifications, go to Settings > General > Software Update. And tap Download and Install.
- Reboot your iPhone by holding both the Power and Home buttons simultaneously. Do this until Slide to Power off appears, then swipe right over it to restart your phone.
- Restore your iPhone from a backup if possible (Settings > General > Reset). If not, simply erase all content and settings (Settings > General > Reset) and set up as a new device.
ReiBoot is the best tool to fix liquid detected in lightning connector issues on iPhones.
It can repair or restore any iPhone and iPad model, including the latest generation. The Tenorshare ReiBoot app’s primary function is to repair iOS devices.
With this tool, you can fix all iOS issues, including battery problems, Wi-Fi connection problems, and Bluetooth problems.
And more issues related to liquid damage or water damage. You can also fix other system problems like black screen, etc., with the help of the Tenoshare ReiBoot app.
The user interface will give you two options: Standard Repair and Deep Repair. You should choose Standard Repair to fix this liquid damage or glitch if you want to quickly fix a liquid detected in a lightning connector issue on your iPhone at home without the risk of data loss.
Otherwise, you should choose Deep Repair if it’s necessary for your device. The deep repair will work if there are other problems besides liquid damage.
Don’t fear losing data when using Tenorshare ReiBoot to repair liquid detected in lightning connector issues or any other issues because its powerful backup feature will back up everything before it starts the repair process.
So that after the completion of repairs, all your data will be safe again in case something goes wrong during the repair process.
4. Factory Reset the iPhone
You can reset your iPhone to factory settings to fix the light detected in the lightning connector by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap General > Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Reset All Content and Settings at the bottom of the screen. Do this to confirm you want to reset all system settings back to their original state, including all passwords and passcodes.
- After your device restarts, sign in with your Apple ID and enter your password.
- Then select Set Up as New iPhone or Restore from iCloud Backup. This depends on which option you prefer for restoring from a backup or setting up a new device with an existing one’s data.
- Click on the correct choices and follow the prompts carefully.
How to Protect Your iPhone from Liquid Detected in Lightning Connector Issues?
- Avoid water damage: Do not expose your iPhone to water. Do not use it in the rain or around swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas. If you get your iPhone wet, immediately turn off the device and remove the battery if possible. Then, dry off any visible moisture and allow the phone to air-dry for at least 24 hours before turning it back on.
- Avoid liquid damage: Never pour liquid of any kind into your iPhone. No matter how desperate you are for a glass of wine! Even condensation can cause damage if left on too long. Apple recommends drying out all electronics after getting rained on.
- Avoid moisture damage. Keep your iPhone away from excessive heat sources like heat vents or radiators that might generate humidity inside your home. And always keep it away from steamy bathrooms!
- Avoid leaving it in places with high relative humidity. This can lead to oxidation corrosion over time. And this can permanently ruin internal components like capacitors within chipsets that store data about usage history within memory sectors. So they don’t need Power constantly running through them when not needed anymore. For example, when charging overnight.
- Also, try not to expose your iPhone to high dust particles or other particulate matter. If you’ve ever seen a device that hasn’t been cleaned in years, its fans might be clogged with dust and debris from everyday use. This can cause overheating, which leads to damage. Especially if it’s running while plugged into an electrical outlet!
- Q: Can liquid damage affect other parts of the iPhone? A: Yes, liquid damage can affect not only the Lightning connector but also other internal components of the iPhone.
- Q: Is it safe to use compressed air to clean the Lightning connector? A: Yes, using compressed air can help dislodge debris, but be careful not to apply excessive pressure.
- Q: Should I use water or any cleaning solution to clean the Lightning connector? A: It is recommended to use isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth or cotton swab to clean the Lightning connector.
- Q: What should I do if my iPhone was submerged in water? A: If your iPhone was submerged in water, immediately remove it from the water, power it off, and follow the steps mentioned in the article to prevent further damage.
- Q: Can I clean the Lightning connector myself or should I seek professional help? A: You can attempt to clean the Lightning connector yourself using the guidelines provided in the article. However, if you’re uncomfortable or the issue persists, it’s best to seek professional assistance.
The liquid detected in the lightning connector issue has been one of the most common problems on iPhones. This can be resolved by following our steps and checklists above.
The best way to protect your iPhone from this issue is by preventing it first. Make sure you don’t drop your phone in water or other liquid substances, as this can potentially damage its circuitry and ruin its functionality altogether.
If, for some reason, you drop it into the water, follow our guide carefully and get out of there as fast as possible!