Although YouTube generally functions in a very smooth manner, it may experience some issues occasionally. You are reading this article probably because you have experienced such an issue with YouTube.
Well, if you want to know why YouTube is not working, this article is a handy read. So, go through this article if the ‘YouTube Not Working‘ issue has bothered you.
Why is YouTube Not Working?
As you already know, YouTube is considered to be the biggest video-sharing platform in the world. YouTube is owned by Google, and thousands of new videos are added every moment to its massive database. As per the statistics, it will take several hundred years for a person to watch all the YouTube videos.
Like any other system made by humans, YouTube can face some issues, at least on an occasional basis. Sometimes, issues that are related to data centers can prevent users from using YouTube as usual.
Also, some other issues related to networks, client devices, and software can prevent YouTube from working. Regardless of the reason, if you wonder why YouTube is Not Working, we will explain how to solve it.
No matter whether you are using a PC, iOS, or Android device, we have presented several practical fixes. You can go through the rest of this article and learn how to resolve the YouTube not working issue.
Solutions to Address the ‘YouTube Not Working’ Issue on Computers
In this section, we reveal how to solve the issues related to YouTube and get it back to normal.
Please note that each of these methods comes with different difficulty levels. So, let’s get to the solutions right now.
#1. Check if Your Internet Connection is Working
This can be the most basic solution of all, and it is a very simple one. Although it sounds like a brainer, many individuals think there are some issues with YouTube when there’s no internet. There can be various reasons for faulty internet connections.
It can be either your ISP’s issue or your device might have some technical error. It can also be possible that you have turned off an internet connection or your data package is over. Regardless of the cause, it’s important to check if you have the internet on your device before everything else.
Before everything else, just check if you are experiencing an issue with YouTube or if everyone else has the issue. If it is just you, checking the internet connection is very important.
To check the internet connection, just try to visit a different website on the same device. If you cannot visit any website, the problem is definitely about the internet. In that case, you have to find a solution to fix the internet connection.
Also, learn more about how to fix YouTube filters not working.
#2. You Live in an Area Where YouTube is Banned
Did you know that some part of the world doesn’t allow using YouTube for people? Some governments block YouTube for various reasons, and China is a superb example.
Also, some countries block YouTube temporarily (for a day or two) for some reason. In addition, places like schools and businesses block YouTube on their networks.
That’s to prevent employees and students from wasting their time watching videos. If any of the cases apply to you, you cannot access YouTube unless you find a special solution.
The best thing to do in this case is to use a different internet connection. You can perform a Google search and find if YouTube is blocked in the area you currently live in.
Have you got to know that your ISP has blocked YouTube, and you still want to use it? In that case, the only solution you can rely on is to use a VPN.
#3. YouTube Not Working on the Google Chrome Browser
The solution should be different if the case is related to a specific platform. For instance, if you cannot access YouTube using Google Chrome, you may follow the below steps.
1) Give your computer a reboot and then restart the browser too
The most effective and basic way to address this issue is to perform a restart. That means you should restart your PC and the web browser to see if the problem is fixed. Interestingly, this trick can help many individuals to overcome this issue.
We sincerely believe that there is no necessity to explain how to restart a Windows computer. However, for those who wonder how to restart Google Chrome, here’s how to do it.
Click on the address bar and type in chrome://restart. Before doing it, be sure to exit the other work you were engaged in properly.
2) Clear Chrome’s cache when YouTube is Not Working
If restarting Chrome and your PC doesn’t resolve the issue, you should also try this method. In this case, you must clear Chrome’s cache and see if the problem is gone.
If you don’t know how to do it, follow the below steps.
- First, click on the menu button (with three dots) and access the ‘Settings‘ of your Chrome browser.
- Scroll down and locate the option labeled ‘Privacy and Security.’
- Then, click on ‘Clear browsing data.’
- Make sure that you choose ‘All Time‘ as the time range.
- Place a tick on the Cached images and files. If necessary, you can even tick Cookies and other data as well.
- Then, click on the option called ‘Clear data.’
3) Make sure that you don’t have suspicious Chrome extensions
In certain cases, you may have installed an unwanted extension on your browser, which prevents you from accessing YouTube.
So, checking if such an extension is available in your browser is important.
To do that, you should follow the steps mentioned below.
- Click on the menu icon, which appears as a three-dotted icon.
- Then, click on the option labeled ‘More Tools.’
- Then, click on the option called ‘Extensions.’
- Check if you can see suspicious browsers and, if available, remove them immediately.
4) Update Google Chrome
If you still wonder, ‘Why is YouTube Not Working‘ after all those fixes, try updating the Chrome browser. If you have an outdated version of Chrome, it can lead to various issues. An outdated browser can prevent you from using YouTube properly.
If you are unsure about the Chrome version you are running, go to ‘Help’ and choose ‘About Google Chrome.’ It will say if you are using an updated version or not.
#4. What Should You Do to Fix the Black Screen Error on YouTube?
Some users say they get a black screen error on their PCs when using YouTube. This is not caused by YouTube; it can be an issue on your end.
To fix this issue, you should try to log out of the YouTube account first. Then, log in to the account once again. In this case, one of the most important things to consider is whether you use an adblocker. If you have an ad blocker, make sure that you disable it.
In addition to that, you can fix black screen errors by clearing the browser cache, updating it, etc.
#5. Why is YouTube Not Working but Showing a Green Screen?
You may see a green screen when you launch videos like a black screen. Like the previous error, this one can be associated with your device but not with YouTube.
So, to fix the green screen, you will have to consider two fixes.
- The first fix is to disable the hardware acceleration. To do this, you will have to go to ‘More’ on your Chrome browser and choose ‘Settings.’ Then, you should go to ‘Advanced’ and locate ‘System.’ Then, you should toggle off the switch next to the button labeled ‘Use hardware acceleration when available.’ Then, go to the ‘Relaunch.’
- Then, you should consider fixing the issues related to your GPU. To do that, you should update the drivers of the graphic components. After updating the graphics drivers to the latest version, you will see that YouTube works as usual.
#6. YouTube is Playing, but It Gives Poor Quality
Some users experience the annoyance of low-quality videos, although they can play YouTube on their devices.
Some users see their videos playing in 480p, even if the 4K or 720p is selected. In that case, reloading the browser will simply solve the issue.
The main reason behind poor quality video could be associated with a poor internet connection. When your internet connection is not fast enough, you will see that the videos are buffering.
Also, the videos played after buffering will play with a lower quality. If you need to play YouTube videos without buffering and without a quality drop, your internet connection must be over 20 Mbps.
By the way, click here to find out how to fix YouTube comments not showing.
Why is YouTube Not Working on an Android Smartphone?
This is for you if you are using a smartphone to watch YouTube videos and find YouTube Not Working.
#1. Perform a Restart on Your Device
In general, minor issues pertaining to smartphones can be fixed with a simple restart. A restart ensures that the background apps are closed and gives a fresh start to the device.
In fact, restarting your device is a very simple task. Once the restarting is done, you can simply launch YouTube and see if it works.
- Press the power button of the device and hold it.
- Then, tap on the option labeled ‘Restart.’
- Once the device is restarted, play a YouTube video to see if the issue is solved.
#2. Check if the Internet Connection is Working
In many cases, you might find issues with YouTube when there is trouble with the internet connection.
So, if YouTube doesn’t work after a restart, check if you are connected to a working network. If it doesn’t work with Wi-Fi, connect to your cellular network or vice-versa.
If it still doesn’t work with any of the networks, you must perform a Google search on your device. And if not, you can simply visit any other website to see if the internet works.
If it is not, you should work out a solution to get your internet connection back on track.
However, the problem is something else if you can visit other websites but cannot load YouTube.
#3. Give Your Android OS an Update
If you are using an outdated OS on your Android, that may cause some issues. However, please note that the chances for an outdated Android OS to cause YouTube-related issues are minimal.
But we still believe updating the OS is good and will see if the problem is gone. Go to the ‘Settings‘ menu and choose ‘System Updates.’ Then, if there is an update available, just download it. Some devices ‘System Updates’ can be located under another menu.
After downloading, install it and wait for the device to be rebooted. Then, open YouTube and check if the problem is gone.
#4. Clear YouTube App Cache
If the YouTube app is filled with cache and old data, you should clean it up. Both cache and old data can hinder any app’s smooth performance.
So, it is important to clean the YouTube app regularly. To do it, you may follow the steps below.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ menu of the device.
- Then, tap on ‘Apps’ and choose ‘YouTube.’
- You can go to the ‘Storage’ option and tap on the option ‘Clear data/Clear Cache.’
#5. Check if the Date and Time Settings Are Correct
This may sound pretty weird, but the date and time settings too can cause issues on your YouTube app.
If you have the wrong date and time settings, YouTube servers may have synchronization issues with your account.
As a result, you may not be able to play YouTube videos on your device. Mentioned below are the steps to fix it.
- Go to the ‘Settings‘ menu on the device.
- Then, tap on the option labeled ‘Date & Time.’
- You can now turn on the ‘Automatic Date & Time‘ option.
#6. Update the YouTube App
You can update your YouTube app if none of the solutions have worked for you. You should go to Google Play Store and choose the ‘My Apps & Games‘ option.
Then, see if the YouTube app is listed under ‘Updates.’ If that is the case, you can hit the ‘Update‘ button and wait for the update to be completed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is my YouTube not working? There could be several reasons, including poor internet connection, browser or app issues, or problems with YouTube’s servers.
- How do I fix ‘YouTube Not Working’ on my browser? Start by clearing your browser’s cache and cookies, and ensure your browser is updated to the latest version.
- What do I do if my YouTube app is not working? Update the app to the latest version or try reinstalling it. Also, ensure your device’s software is updated.
- How do I check YouTube’s server status? You can check websites like Downdetector or YouTube’s official social media channels for updates.
- What internet speed is recommended for YouTube? YouTube recommends at least 500 Kbps for standard videos and 7 Mbps for HD videos.
- What can cause YouTube videos to buffer or lag? This could be due to slow internet speeds, outdated app or browser versions, or problems with YouTube’s servers.
While the “YouTube Not Working” message can be a frustrating experience, there are many ways to troubleshoot and resolve these issues. With this guide, you’re now equipped with the tools and knowledge to get your YouTube up and running again. So get back to streaming, sharing, and enjoying what YouTube has to offer!