Netflix has become one of the most popular video streaming services; in 2019, Netflix was ranked way above other popular streaming services like HBO, Apple, Disney, etc. However, it does not always mean it is fun to use.
In addition to its pros, Netflix has a fair share of streaming problems. Factors such as third-party hardware, poor internet connectivity, and reliance on apps have resulted in Netflix not working as it should.
Some of these Netflix problems include loading a black screen on your tablet or TV set, the inability to play any TV shows or movies, the app not opening properly or crashing, etc.
Here, we have jotted down some of the most commonly faced Netflix problems. Once you are done with this article, you can also check out some additional Netflix hacks:
- 1. How do you watch Netflix (and Stranger Things) for free?
- 2. How do you use secret codes in Netflix: Binge Watching Cheat Codes
- 3. How are your favorite Netflix shows and movies pirated?
1. Is Netflix Not Working Only for Me or Others As Well? Check the Netflix Outage
Many services face an outage problem today, so you should not be surprised if Netflix suddenly stops working.
If your Netflix stops working on your smartphone or computer, you can start by checking the status of the streaming service.
Like other streaming companies, Netflix has its dedicated page that will let you know the service status of the streaming service. If you face difficulty accessing the site, you can head over to the server status page to confirm whether it is a problem faced by everyone or just you.
PS: You may like to learn more about how to clear items from continuing watching on Netflix.
1.1 Checking out Netflix’s Official Twitter Handle
If you want to know the status of the Netflix servers, you can also keep a close eye on its official Twitter page. If you do not see any information displayed on the site’s status page, Netflix might have used Twitter to reach its followers.
1.2 Some Other Sites That Can Check and Confirm the Netflix Outage
Several websites can keep track of internet services across different websites. For instance, you can use the site Down For Everyone Or Just Me to check if it is just you or everyone facing Netflix outages.
If you wish to check the Netflix outage map and find out where else the streaming service is down, you can use the Down Detector.
1.3 Has My Netflix Account Been Blocked?
While this is a rare chance of this happening, you might face circumstances where ‘Netflix not loading’ on your mobile, tablet, or computer devices because the streaming site has been blocked.
This case is common on college LAN and internet networks, where the authorities do not want their students to indulge in binge-watching. For more details, you can check out this detailed article on How to unblock websites on the Internet.
2. Netflix is Not Working on My Computer. Why?
Once you have made sure that there is nothing wrong with Netflix’s part, it might be possible that your devices are at fault. So, what should you do if Netflix is not working on your computer?
Besides, Netflix’s sound not working can be one of the last things you would expect, so let’s figure out why this happens and how to fix it with ease.
2.1 Reset the Browsing Data of Your Linux/macOS/Windows Device
While you can call tech support for advice, you can fix common Netflix problems like access to Netflix by simply deleting your browser’s cache and cookies. Doing this will remove any lingering corrupt data that might be why you cannot access Netflix on your computer.
2.2 Resetting the Netflix App on Windows 10
If you use the Netflix app made for Windows and the TV shows or movies do not play, you can try resetting it. To do this, please follow the guide mentioned below:
- Go to Settings, then Apps, and click on Apps and Features.
- Scroll and find the Netflix app on the list
- Click on the name of the app and select Advanced Options
- You will be redirected to another window; Please look for the Reset option and click it
You need to remember that this will delete all the external data from the app, so you will have to log into your Netflix account once again.
Also, you will find out how to install Bobby Movie APK.
2.3 Disabling the VPN Connection
This incident occurred to us quite a few times when we were trying to watch something on Netflix, and we did not realize that the VPN was enabled on our computer.
Because of this, your favorite TV shows and movies were not playing. But we could browse through the catalog without any Netflix problems. It took us some time to figure out the root of the problem.
While this problem is rarely seen with every VPN connection, you can try disabling your VPN if you face Netflix issues while loading your favorite TV shows or movies.
In addition, are you annoyed because your Tweets aren’t loading right now? Don’t worry, as this guide explains every possible solution to fix it for you.
2.4 Make Sure Connecting to the Internet All the Time
This is the first thing you need to check if your ‘Netflix is not working.’ Make sure to connect to the Internet first. We have noticed a lot of times that when the Internet goes off, the WiFi logo in the notification area shows no indications.
To check whether you are still connected to the Internet, you can try opening some other websites. If your WiFi connection is not working, you can try restarting your router, and hopefully, your internet connection will start running again.
2.5 Update the App to Solve Netflix Not Loading
Another piece of advice that could help you run Netflix on your Windows computer’s web browser is to ensure that your operating systems are updated.
If yes, the possibility of bugs is reduced, which could be one of the reasons why ‘Netflix not loading.’
3. Netflix Not Loading and Downloading Titles
3.1 Ask Your Buddies
While Netflix allows you to sign in to almost unlimited devices, the content can be made offline for a limited number of devices, depending on the type of plant you choose.
For example, if you choose the 800 INR plan, you will download TV shows and movies on up to four devices at any given time.
If four of your friends have offline content, you will see an error message when you try to download any movie or TV show.
In cases like these, any of your friends can simply delete their downloaded content from their devices so that you can download your stuff.
Or, you can use a nasty trick to teach them a lesson. We have found a small trick useful when you need to make Netflix content offline.
You must go to your Netflix account page and click Manage Download Devices.
Here, you will find the list of all the devices that have been downloaded from Netflix and remove any or all of them. While we know it might be rude, and it is okay in extreme situations, for instance, you realize at the last minute that you have nothing to watch on a 6-hour flight.
3.2 Disable Your WiFi-only Download Option
If you cannot download any TV series or movies on your mobile device with the help of your cellular connection, there could be a reason behind it. You need to head to the App’s Setting page to check and ensure that you disable the WiFi-only option.
Although, you need to remember that you might exhaust your monthly cap while binge-watching.
3.3 Checking the Storage Space in Your Device
If you are still facing Netflix issues and cannot download TV shows or movies, you need to check the storage space of your iOS or Android device and ensure that there is enough space to download more content.
4. What Steps Should I Take to Fix the Poor Streaming Quality of Netflix?
4.1 Check Netflix’s Default Streaming Quality
If you find out that the TV shows and movies you are watching are jittery or pixilated for some reason, you need to check the default quality option first. While doing the same on Netflix can be a hassle; you can follow the steps mentioned below:
In Your Web Browser
- Head over to the account page of your Netflix account
- Click on the My Profile section
- Next, click on the Playback Settings link
- In this tab, you can choose between the different streaming qualities like Low, Medium, and High-Quality, depending on the speed of your Internet connection; you can also choose the Auto option if you want Netflix to set the streaming quality according to the Internet connection speed
- Once you are done, you can click on Save and close the window
You might already be familiar that switching to a higher-quality option consumes more data. Hence, select the High-Quality option only if you have an unlimited data connection.
On Your iOS or Android Device
- Tap on the Netflix app and head to the More option
- Here, tap on Account
- You will be redirected to your Netflix account on your browser; the rest of the process is the same as above.
4.2 Why Does Netflix Keep Pausing? Check the Speed of Your Internet Connection
You are done with configuring your Netflix streaming quality to the highest setting; however, your titles are still being loaded in poor quality. In this case, you might want to have a look at the speed of your internet connection.
For Android Devices
Once you head to the App Settings, you will see another option that lets you know your internet connection speed.
In short, it is a link to Fast.com, which will open externally on your web browser. Alternatively, you can also download the Speed Test app for your iOS and Android devices.
4.3 Check to Make Sure That Your Internet Bandwidth is Free
You can also check if other idle apps on your device are still running. These apps tend to use bandwidth and can result in bad streaming quality on Netflix.
5. Netflix Shows You a Black Screen
One of the many Netflix issues you might face while streaming movies and TV shows on Netflix is that the streaming service might show you a black screen.
On your Windows device, if you see a black screen but can still hear the audio from Netflix, there could be a problem with your computer’s graphics driver. Make sure that you update them.
If you cannot hear any audio when the black screen appears, you can try disabling some of your browser’s extensions that could be interfering with the streaming service’s playback.
If these Netflix problems continue, you can delete the Netflix cookies from your browser and scan your computer for any possible malware problems. You can also try to run the browser in Administrator mode.
5.1 Fixing the Black Screen Problem on iPhone/Android Devices
You can first try to restart the device; however, if this plan does not work, you can disable the Color Correction option. To do this, you can head over to Settings, then Accessibility, and then Color Correction.
For iOS devices, you can simply restart the app or try playing videos from other sources. If the problem is not resolved, you can restart your device.
6. Why is Netflix Not Working on Your Android Device?
6.1 Follow the Basic Tech Support Advice
On your Android device, you can start the Netflix issues troubleshooting process by restarting your device. If this step does not help, you need to check whether your Android version and Netflix app are up to date.
6.2 Using the Network Check Tool by Netflix (for Android)
If you visit the Settings option of the Netflix app, you will see a tool that can check the speed of your network connection.
This tool will help you determine if the app is connected to the Internet and can communicate with the Netflix servers efficiently.
6.3 Netflix App Frequently Crashes – Clean Your App’s Data
Similar to your computer, you can clean out the data of your Netflix app on your Android devices. All you need to do is follow the steps below:
- Head over to Settings and tap on Apps and Notifications
- Here, head to See all Apps and then look for Netflix
- Tap on Netflix and go to the Storage
- Here, tap on the Clear Cache and Data
7. Why Is the Netflix App Not Working on iOS Devices?
If ‘Netflix not loading’ its titles on iOS devices, you can look into some solutions that can help you fix these Netflix problems.
- Update your iOS and Netflix app
- Reset your Netflix app for iOS
If your app still shows some Netflix issues, you can try resetting the app on your device. Here are the steps that can show you how:
- Head over to Settings and get the Netflix app
- Tap on the Reset toggle button at the bottom of the page
- Go back to your home screen & try to log in to your Netflix account
- Q: Can a slow internet connection cause Netflix not to work properly?
- A: Yes, a slow or unstable internet connection can result in buffering, poor video quality, or even complete playback issues on Netflix.
- Q: Will clearing cache and cookies on my device delete any important data?
- A: Clearing cache and cookies will only remove temporary files and browsing data. It won’t delete any critical personal information or saved passwords.
- Q: Why is Netflix not working on my smart TV, but it works on my phone?
- A: Device-specific issues can occur due to outdated firmware or app versions. Try updating your smart TV or contacting the TV manufacturer for assistance.
- Q: What if I can’t find the option to clear cache and cookies on my device?
- A: The location of this option can vary depending on the device and browser. Search for specific instructions or refer to the device/browser’s support documentation.
- Q: Is it necessary to contact Netflix support if none of the troubleshooting steps resolve the issue?
- A: Yes, contacting Netflix support is recommended if the problem persists after attempting the troubleshooting steps. They can provide personalized assistance and solutions.
The above were just some of the many common Netflix problems and their corresponding solutions for iOS, Android, and Windows devices.
If your ‘Netflix is not loading,’ you can use the abovementioned points. We will keep adding more points, so feel free to come back again!