If you are an Instagram user, you might already know its limitations when uploading videos. Instagram supports only MP4 videos, but it also comes with some special guidelines.
Instagram implements this initiative to maintain better speed. Heavier videos with a longer duration can slow down the performance and decrease the loading speed.
The guidelines for the Instagram video format are mentioned below for your reference.
Guideline for Instagram Video Format
- Video Codec: H.264, the VP8 codec
- Audio Codec: AAC and Vorbis codec
- Supported Instagram video format: MP4
- Supported audio format: Stereo AAC and 128Kbps+
- Total video length: 03 seconds (minimum) to 60 seconds (maximum)
- Supported framerate: 29.96 FPS
- Compatible bitrate: 3500 Kbps
- Maximum width: 1080 pixels
- Maximum height: 920 pixels
PS: here, you will learn more about how to view a private Instagram account without following it.
How to Convert an Ordinary Video into an Instagram Video Format?
As a matter of fact, we shoot plenty of videos on a daily basis using our smartphones and cameras. However, not all these videos are compatible with Instagram. That is because the video must fit into the category we mentioned in the previous paragraph.
So, what if you have a video that doesn’t fit into the above criteria? In that case, you will have to work on it a bit (you will have to convert the video).
To get this done, you can get the assistance of professional video editing software. You can adjust the size of the video, resolution, and other properties and change it to be Instagram-compatible.
However, as we believe, you don’t want to buy expensive professional software just to convert a video. Instead, you can use an online converter. When it comes to online video converters, there is no shortage of options, so select one carefully.
But don’t worry; we have done enough amount of research and ended up with the best options in the industry. Listed below are those free options which you can use to get your videos compatible with Instagram.
Besides, you will figure out why we get Instagram screenshot notifications.
01. iTubeGo Video Downloader (the Best Option)
iTubeGo is indeed a handy tool for downloading videos. However, it can also be used to convert videos to be compatible with Instagram.
With the assistance of iTubeGo, you can easily convert other video formats into MP4 files. Also, the best thing is that you can download any of the video files through sharing sites.
Features of iTubeGo
- This tool can convert both offline and online videos into Instagram video format without any hassle.
- iTubeGo is capable of downloading videos through over 10,000 video-sharing platforms.
- iTubeGo provides a video recording feature. With that, you will be able to record online videos and video chats without hassle.
- This smart program can directly transfer downloaded and recorded files into your mobile device.
- This program can download multiple videos simultaneously (batch downloading is possible).
- Convenient user interface that can be used even by a novice user.
Kapwing is considered one of the most popular and easy-to-use video editing tools for free. The tagline of this tool describes its functionality. Apart from converting any video into an Instagram-compatible one, Kapwing is equipped with many other tools.
Thanks to these tools, it can perform pretty much all the basic tasks without any issues. For instance, Kapwing can trim, rotate, add text, add music, and trim the video using this tool.
As the name suggests, Online convert is another handy tool to convert your videos online. This is a completely free tool that is compatible with pretty much all the digital file types used.
More importantly, it has separate pages dedicated to each social media platform. So, converting the files to be compatible with each social media platform is made simple with this tool. To convert a file to be compatible with Instagram, you should select the page titled Instagram, and that’s it.
In addition to that, you can even upload the video into the desired service directly through cloud storage. For instance, you can upload videos either from Dropbox or Google Drive.
Things You Must Know About Instagram Video Format
Now that you have a good idea about the Instagram video format. Let’s get to know some other important things.
In Which Aspect Ratio Should You Upload Instagram Videos?
Well, as mentioned before, there are some specifications when uploading a video to Instagram. Maintaining the perfect aspect ratio is one of the key things you should consider in this case. When it comes to the aspect ratio, which will work best for Instagram?
Videos are used for different purposes on Instagram, as you already know. For instance, there are Instagram TV Videos (IGTV videos), Instagram Stories, and Instagram Live Videos.
If you are looking for the best Instagram video format, an aspect ratio of 9:16 would be the best. In fact, 9:16 is the most common video size on most smartphone screens.
The dimensions of the ideal Instagram video format should be 1080 pixels by 1920 pixels. In a simpler explanation, the Instagram video must have a width of 1080 pixels and a height of 1920 pixels. These dimensions and aspect ratios will allow you to have the best quality video on your Instagram account.
Specification for Instagram Feed Video
In general, Instagram is compatible with a large range of video dimensions when it comes to Feed posts. To make it compatible with the purpose of Instagram Feed, what would be the best aspect ratio?
Well, you should keep the aspect ratio between the values of 1.91:1 and 4:5. You can maintain this aspect ratio in both portrait and landscape video clips you intend to upload.
When it comes to the dimensions for Instagram Feed video, maintain the values of 1080p X 608p. If not, you can even use 1080p X 1350p as well. You may use any aspect ratio between these specifications and make your video compatible with Instagram Feed functionality.
For instance, you will be able to share a video on your Instagram Feed with an aspect ratio of 1:1. Also, you can keep the dimensions to 1080p X 1080p. As you would notice, it would be a square video, and yet it will be compatible with Instagram Feed.
However, you must also consider the user-experience aspect as well when uploading such videos. In other words, the videos you upload must be friendly for users to watch.
You must also remember that the Instagram mobile app doesn’t change its orientation on smartphones. So, when you choose an aspect ratio for the videos, you should be smart. If not, the video will not be that friendly for the user. In addition, the vast majority of individuals hold their phones in a vertical position in everyday use.
So, if you share a video on Instagram with a widescreen, it will appear in a very small size. Needless to say, it is not the ideal size for a viewer. In other words, it is far from perfect when you need to get some followers.
Besides, it is exceptionally important that your videos are cropped into a 4:5 aspect ratio in IGTV and Feed. The video will automatically crop, no matter what the original aspect ratio is. So, make sure that you maintain the proper aspect ratio to avoid weirdly cut videos.
What is the Best Length for Instagram Videos?
When it comes to the length of the videos, it differs depending on the type of video. Different video lengths are acceptable for Feeds, Stories, IGTV, and Live Videos.
Below are some important instructions to determine the video length for each type.
- For Instagram Feed Video: the length of the video must be between 3 and 60 seconds.
- For Instagram Story Video: The length of the video must be 15 seconds or shorter.
- When it comes to IGTV Video: it must be between 15 seconds to 10 minutes.
- For Instagram Live Video: it must be 60 minutes or shorter.
But what happens if you upload a video longer than 15 seconds? In that case, the Instagram app will split the respective video into clips with a length of 15 seconds.
But you should also know that it can create only 04 pieces of 15-second videos. So, as long as the video doesn’t exceed 60 seconds, that would be fine. If not, the rest will be omitted.
When it comes to IGTV, you are permitted to upload videos shorter than 60 minutes. However, these clips can be uploaded using verified or larger accounts. Also, the clips must be uploaded through a computer.
Some time ago, both Instagram and Facebook introduced new features for larger accounts before they were introduced to others. So, we expect this upload limit to be changed pretty soon for other accounts as well.
As you may be aware, Instagram introduced IGTV in 2018. There is indeed a standalone app for IGTV. It is developed to be fully compatible with the main services Instagram offers. Therefore, you can easily access the services through the Instagram app.
In fact, uploading a video to IGTV can be done using this app. To upload a video to Instagram, there are three main ways.
- You can upload videos using the IGTV app
- You can use the Instagram app
- Or, you can simply use a web browser
As a matter of fact, uploading content directly through a web browser (using a computer) is pretty exciting. This is a pretty new feature integrated into Instagram.
With this option, things have obviously become more convenient. Thanks to this feature, you can now upload a quality video on Instagram without any issues.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Can I upload videos longer than 60 minutes on Instagram? No, regular accounts can upload videos up to 10 minutes, while verified accounts and larger creators can upload videos up to 60 minutes on IGTV.
- What are the recommended dimensions for Instagram videos? The recommended resolution for Instagram videos is 1080×1080 pixels, but Instagram supports other resolutions as well.
- Can I add captions or subtitles to my Instagram videos? Yes, adding captions and subtitles is encouraged as it enhances accessibility and engagement.
- What are some effective strategies to promote Instagram videos? Promote your videos through teasers, cross-promotion, collaborations, and utilizing Instagram ads.
- How can I analyze the performance of my Instagram videos? Utilize Instagram Insights and analytics tools to track metrics such as views, engagement rate, and audience demographics.
Well, that’s about the best Instagram video format you can use to impress your audience. With these instructions, you will be able to create the most compatible videos on your Instagram account. The ultimate goal of using the proper video format is to offer a better user experience.
And if you follow the guidelines mentioned above, creating such a highly compatible video is not a difficult task. To make the process more convenient, you may use any of the software tools mentioned in this article.