Has your iPhone suddenly become unresponsive and frozen on the screen? Don’t panic – a frozen iPhone can often be fixed with a few troubleshooting steps.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk through all the common causes of iPhone freezes and actionable solutions you can try at home to get your device working again. Follow along to learn how to diagnose and address frozen iPhone issues for a smooth user experience.
What Causes an iPhone to Freeze?
Before jumping into fixes, let’s first understand what’s behind the dreaded iPhone freeze so you can better prevent and troubleshoot it. Here are some of the most common culprits:
- Software Issues: Bugs, glitches or corrupted data in iOS or apps can cause system crashes and freezes. This is one of the most frequent reasons.
- Too Many Apps Running: Having many apps open and running simultaneously can overload the device and cause it to freeze up.
- Outdated Software: Failing to update to the latest iOS version can leave you vulnerable to bugs that induce freezing.
- Low Storage Space: Insufficient storage space can lead to system slowdowns and app crashes that freeze the device.
- Hardware Problems: Faulty components like a defective logic board can cause all kinds of performance issues including freezes.
- Extreme Temperatures: Exposing your iPhone to very high or low temperatures outside its safe operating range can potentially damage components that lead to freezing issues.
Now that you know why iPhones freeze, let’s look at how to get yours working again.
5 Steps to Fix iPhone Frozen
Here are 5 troubleshooting steps to try when your iPhone is frozen:
1. Force Restart iPhone
The first thing to try is force restarting your iPhone. This acts like a refresh to reload the operating system and dismiss any glitches.
On devices with Home button (iPhone 8 and earlier)
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons together until you see the Apple logo.
On iPhone X and later
- Press and release Volume Up button
- Press and release Volume Down button
- Press and hold Side button until you see the Apple logo
This should successfully reboot your iPhone and resolve any temporary software issues leading to the freeze.
2. Close All Apps and Free Up Storage
If force restarting didn’t fix it, your iPhone is likely freezing due to too many resource-heavy apps running simultaneously or insufficient storage space.
To address this:
- Double click the Home button to bring up the app switcher and close out all recently opened apps.
- Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage to see apps taking up the most space. Delete or offload unused apps and large files like videos and photos to free up storage.
- Restart your iPhone again and check if the freezing stops.
Cleaning up cluttered apps and freeing space typically gets rid of any app-related performance issues.
3. Update to Latest iOS Version
Failing to update your operating system is another prime culprit behind iPhone freezes. Software updates fix bugs, patch security issues and improve performance.
To get the latest iOS version:
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update
- Download and install any available updates.
Updating to the most recent iOS version can prevent many common causes of iPhone crashes and freezes.
4. Reset iPhone to Factory Settings
If you’ve tried all other basic fixes with no success, resetting your iPhone to factory default settings is the next resort. This wipes the device completely clean and starts it afresh.
Before resetting, backup your iPhone data either locally through iTunes or iCloud.
To reset your iPhone:
- Go to Settings > General > Reset
- Tap “Erase All Content and Settings“
- Enter your passcode if prompted and confirm the reset
Your iPhone data will be deleted, but the device will be restored to original factory settings which should eliminate any software issues causing the freeze. You can then restore your data backup.
If none of the fixes we have shown you so far have helped you fix your frozen iPhone, using Tenorshare ReiBoot is your best choice.
This program is the perfect tool for the job and has been developed for the sole purpose of fixing iOS problems – without a doubt, the tool for the job.
Follow the steps below to fix your iPhone’s frozen screen, and if you don’t already have this program on your computer, download and install it beforehand.
#1 – Connect your iPhone using the appropriate lightning cable and launch ReiBoot to begin.
#2 – Once the program has opened, click on the “Start” option from the left panel, followed by “Standard Repair” from the shown display.
#3 – You’ll now be prompted to put your device into DFU mode (or recovery mode).
#4 – Next, you’ll be prompted to enter some basic information about your device.
Note: it’s important that you enter accurate information into the boxes shown before clicking “Download.” If the wrong firmware is installed, then you may experience major issues with your iPhone.
#5 – After entering the required information, click “Download.” ReiBoot will now download a fresh copy of iOS firmware to fix the frozen iPhone.
#6 – Lastly, once it has been downloaded, click the “Start Standard Repair” button, and ReiBoot will re-install your iPhone firmware.
This will only take a few minutes, and while you will have your data wiped from the device, you’ll quickly regain access to your iPhone.
Resetting the iPhone fixes most glitches unless there is an underlying hardware problem. If it still doesn’t work, you’ll need to contact Apple support or visit a store.
Beside, learn more about how to fix iPhone screen flickering issues.
Key Takeaways: Fixing iPhone Frozen
- Force restart your iPhone by holding Sleep/Wake and Home buttons
- Close all apps and delete unused files to free up storage space
- Keep your iPhone updated with latest iOS versions
- Reset to factory settings if basic troubleshooting doesn’t work
- Hardware problems require Apple service/replacement
- Prevent freezes by not overloading device and updating regularly
FAQs: Troubleshooting iPhone Freezes
Q1: How do I force restart my iPhone X/11/12?
Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, press and quickly release the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
Q2: Will resetting delete all my data?
Yes, resetting your iPhone erases all contents and settings, including your data. So backup your device before resetting and restore the data after.
Q3: Why does my iPhone keep freezing even after updating iOS?
This usually indicates some persistent software corruption. Try resetting your iPhone to factory settings after backing up data. If it still freezes, there may be a hardware issue.
Q4: My iPhone freezes while using certain apps. What should I do?
Delete and reinstall the problematic apps. Also check app reviews to see if others are facing similar freezes. Update or remove apps that have stability issues or bugs.
Q5: Can extreme heat cause iPhone freezes?
Yes, exposing your iPhone to very high temperatures outside its operating range of 0° to 35°C can potentially damage components and cause freezing.
Q6: How can I troubleshoot iPhone hardware issues causing freezes?
You’ll need to get in touch with Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for diagnostics. Hardware issues like motherboard problems require technician attention.
Q7: Should I replace my iPhone if restarting/resetting doesn’t help?
Not necessarily – freezing issues can often be fixed by software-based solutions. But if it persists after trying all troubleshooting steps, replacement may be needed.
Q8: Is it safe to force restart my iPhone regularly?
It’s fine to force restart occasionally but don’t make it a habit. Frequent forced restarts could potentially corrupt your device’s software over time.
Q9: Can I freeze data on my iPhone before resetting?
No, there is no selective “freezing” of data. You would need to backup the entire device before resetting which deletes all content.
Q10: How can I avoid my iPhone freezing going forward?
Keep your iPhone updated, avoid overloading it with too many apps, don’t expose it to temperature extremes, and maintain sufficient storage space for smooth performance.
iPhone freezes can certainly be annoying, but a bit of troubleshooting and maintenance goes a long way. Follow the solutions outlined in this guide to get your iPhone back up and running optimally again. Prevent future freezes by not overburdening your device, updating regularly and avoiding damage from heat/cold.
We hope these tips help you fix iPhone frozen issues for smooth sailing ahead! Let us know if you have any other questions.