In the fast-paced world of technology, software updates play a crucial role in enhancing the performance and security of our devices. iPhone users eagerly anticipate the latest updates, which bring new features and bug fixes.
However, there may be instances when you wish to cancel an iPhone update for various reasons. In this article, we will guide you through the process of canceling an iPhone update and explore the benefits of doing so.
Understanding iPhone Updates
Before we delve into canceling iPhone updates, let’s briefly understand what they are. Apple regularly releases updates for its iOS operating system, which powers iPhones.
These updates are designed to improve the user experience, introduce new features, enhance security, and fix any bugs or vulnerabilities. When a new update becomes available, your iPhone may prompt you to install it.
Also read: iPhone stuck on preparing update? – Top 6 solutions to fix it easily.
Reasons to Cancel an iPhone Update
There could be several reasons why you might want to cancel an iPhone update. One common scenario is when you accidentally initiate the update or realize that the update might cause compatibility issues with certain apps or accessories.
Additionally, some users prefer to wait before installing updates to ensure that any potential bugs or issues are addressed in subsequent updates. Whatever the reason, canceling an iPhone update is relatively straightforward.
How to Cancel iPhone Update When the Downloading Process is in Progress?
Well, now you know the consequences of stopping an ongoing update.
If you still want to know how to do it despite the potential issues, follow the below steps. But, once again, please be aware of the consequences before proceeding.
- 01. Once you notice an update process in your iOS device, put it in Airplane mode ASAP. This feature can be accessed through the Control Center of the device. All you have to do is to tap on the icon ‘Airplane Mode’ so it’ll be turned on instantly. This is the fastest way to disconnect your device from all connections, including the internet. When there is no internet connection, the device cannot download files related to updates.
- 02. Now that the device is put in ‘Airplane Mode,’ you should follow the steps below. Go to the ‘Settings’ option and select ‘General.’
- 03. Under ‘General,’ you will find an option called ‘iPhone Storage.’ Tap on it and wait so the device will analyze the existing storage of the device. When the analysis is done, you should scroll down and locate the iOS update, which is to be stopped. Then, you should tap on it.
- 04. After that, you should tap the option ‘Delete Update.’ Then, you will be prompted to confirm the action; confirm it. Then, the download process will be completely stopped.
That’s it. If everything goes well, you may end up stopping the download successfully.
What Should You Do if Your Device’s iOS is Giving Some Troubles After Halting Updates?
As we have already explained, stopping an ongoing update can end up causing serious issues. In other words, you put your device in serious trouble by halting an ongoing update.
So, we strongly recommend you stop an ongoing update only when it is seriously needed. Well, what if you have already done that, and your device starts to experience some issues?
You should consider an OS repair if you have stopped an update and your device experiences issues. You cannot get the device back to its normal functionality without repairing the OS. To get it done, you will have to find a special tool.
Otherwise, repairing the iOS of your device can be very hard. In this case, the best tool you can use is the Tenorshare ReiBoot Tool. There is no shortage of reasons to consider this tool as the best option to repair your iOS.
This special tool is very user-friendly and compatible with any iOS.
In this part, we will explain the special features associated with Tenorshare ReiBoot. It will give you a clear idea about this software’s capacity so you can use it.
- Tenorshare ReiBoot can fix all the issues with iOS systems. It can address all the issues after stopping a particular update.
- You can use it exceptionally easily without experiencing any difficulties, even if you are not an expert.
- You can use it to fix the glitches associated with iOS devices without causing any data loss.
- It is compatible with all iPhone models and iOS versions. For instance, it is compatible with iOS versions up to 16. Also, it is compatible with iOS devices up to 14 and 14 Pro (Max).
How to Fix Your iPhone After a Failed or Purposely Halted the Update
Whether you halt the update purposely or fail it automatically, there will be consequences. To fix all those issues, you must follow the steps mentioned below.
- As the first step, you should download and install ReiBoot on your computer. Then, launch the application and click on ‘Standard Repair‘ in ‘iOS System Repair.’
- Connect the faulty iPhone to the same computer and use a USB cable. Also, you will have to unlock the device so the program will recognize the device easily.
- If the respective device is damaged and the program doesn’t recognize it, the device is in DFU mode. If not, you should put it on recovery mode as well. You should follow the on-screen instructions on the software’s interface to get it done.
- After putting the device on DFU/Recovery mode, ReiBoot will identify your iPhone and its model. Also, it will identify the available firmware options for the same. Just choose the preferred firmware. Then, you should click on the option labeled ‘Download.’
- When the respective firmware is downloaded, you will have to click on the option ‘Start Standard Repair.’ So, ReiBoot will start to repair the device. Once the repair is completed, you will see that the device gets restarted.
Tenorshare ReiBoot is a very handy tool that can address various issues on your iOS device. Therefore, we consider it one of the must-have utilities for any iPhone user.
Benefits of Cancelling an iPhone Update
Canceling an iPhone update can offer several benefits. Firstly, it allows you to maintain control over your device’s software and decide when to install updates based on your convenience.
This can be particularly useful if you want to avoid any potential compatibility issues with specific apps or if you prefer to wait until any initial bugs are addressed. Additionally, canceling an update can save your device’s battery and storage as the update files won’t be downloaded or installed.
Common Questions About Cancelling iPhone Updates
FAQ 1: Can I cancel an iPhone update in progress?
No, once the update is in progress, it cannot be canceled. You can only cancel an update if it is in the download or preparation stage.
FAQ 2: Will canceling an update cause any issues with my iPhone?
No, canceling an update should not cause any issues with your iPhone. However, it is always recommended to keep your device up to date to ensure optimal performance and security.
FAQ 3: Can I pause an iPhone update instead of canceling it?
No, there is no built-in option to pause an iPhone update. You can either let the update complete or cancel it.
FAQ 4: What happens if I don’t cancel an unwanted iPhone update?
If you don’t cancel an unwanted iPhone update, your device will continue to download and install the update as per the scheduled time or when it is connected to Wi-Fi.
FAQ 5: Can I prevent automatic updates on my iPhone?
Yes, you can disable automatic updates on your iPhone. Go to “Settings,” tap on “General,” then “Software Update,” and disable the “Download iOS updates” or “Customize Automatic Updates” option.
The Bottom Line
Now you know how to cancel the iPhone update; you can try it at your own risk. If you experience any glitches after a halted update, you can use Tenorshare ReiBoot and fix it.
Per our experience with Tenorshare ReiBoot, it is a very effective and trustworthy tool. Please let us know in the comments section below if you have any questions related to this matter.