As an iOS device user, you will experience numerous updates in a timely manner. These updates are offered to provide a better user experience and security for the user.
However, in the real world, you are not always prepared to install updates due to various reasons.
For instance, if the Wi-Fi connection is not reliable, you will not want to use it to install updates.
Also, if your Wi-Fi connection doesn’t have enough data, you will have to postpone the update until later. In that case, it would be handy to know how to cancel the iPhone update.
In addition to that, there can be other instances where you’ll have to know how to cancel the iPhone update. For instance, what if you accidentally tapped on ‘Download and Install’ when you play around with it?
And you don’t want to install the update because you really love your current iOS version. In that case, you will have to stop the update even if it has already started. So, how to resolve it?
The truth is that updating an iOS device is pretty easy. However, you will find it pretty difficult if you want to cancel the process. That is because you don’t see any button or an option to cancel or go back during the update.
Does that mean that you cannot cancel the update? Probably not. There is good news for those who want to know how to cancel the update. That means there is a way to cancel an ongoing update.
The only thing is that you should act fast to get it stopped. The purpose of this article is to explain how to do it.
Common Questions Related to Canceling an iPhone Update
Getting a clear idea about iPhone updates is always better before you learn how to cancel them. The best approach is to read some of the questions asked by users and their respective answers.
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions by iPhone users about the update.
Question 1: Is It Possible to Cancel An iOS Update if It’s Already Started?
Answer: Well, there is no straightforward method to cancel this process. That means you will not see any ‘Cancel’ or ‘Back’ button to stop the update once it has begun. However, you can stop using a different method even if the download has started.
But, still, you should do it before the installation begins. We will explain how to do it and stop an ongoing update.
Question 2: Is It Possible to Halt a Progressing Update?
The simplest answer is ‘NO.’ There is no option provided to stop an update that is currently going on.
In addition to that, stopping an ongoing update in the wrong manner can cause serious problems with your device.
So, you should know the most effective and secure way to halt an update. Some of those consequences are listed below.
- The iOS device you are using doesn’t go beyond the loading screen. That means it is stuck on the loading screen, Apple logo, or elsewhere. It is needless to say, how annoying such an instance is.
- Your device is not likely to get the new features provided by the new update.
- Your device is not likely to be updated with the latest security settings due to a failed update. Potential glitches in the system will not be removed, so the device will experience various issues.
How to Cancel iPhone Update When the Downloading Process is in Progress?
Well, now you know the consequences of stopping an ongoing update.
If you still want to know how to do it despite the potential issues, follow the below steps. But, once again, please be aware of the consequences before proceeding.
- 01. Once you notice an update process in your iOS device, put it in Airplane mode ASAP. This feature can be accessed through the Control Center of the device. All you have to do is to tap on the icon ‘Airplane Mode’ so it’ll be turned on instantly. This is the fastest way to disconnect your device from all connections, including the internet. When there is no internet connection, the device cannot download files related to updates.
- 02. Now that the device is put in ‘Airplane Mode,’ you should follow the steps below. Go to the ‘Settings’ option and select ‘General.’
- 03. Under ‘General,’ you will find an option called ‘iPhone Storage.’ Tap on it and wait so the device will analyze the existing storage of the device. When the analysis is done, you should scroll down and locate the iOS update, which is to be stopped. Then, you should tap on it.
- 04. After that, you should tap the option ‘Delete Update.’ Then, you will be prompted to confirm the action; confirm it. Then, the download process will be completely stopped.
That’s it. If everything goes well, you may end up stopping the download successfully.
What Should You Do if Your Device’s iOS is Giving Some Troubles After Halting Updates?
As we have already explained, stopping an ongoing update can end up causing serious issues. In other words, you put your device in serious trouble by halting an ongoing update.
So, we strongly recommend you stop an ongoing update only when it is seriously needed. Well, what if you have already done that, and your device starts to experience some issues?
You should consider an OS repair if you have stopped an update and your device experiences issues. You cannot get the device back to its normal functionality without repairing the OS. To get it done, you will have to find a special tool.
Otherwise, repairing the iOS of your device can be very hard. In this case, the best tool you can use is the Tenorshare ReiBoot Tool. There is no shortage of reasons to consider this tool as the best option to repair your iOS.
This special tool is very user-friendly and compatible with any iOS.
In this part, we will explain the special features associated with Tenorshare ReiBoot. It will give you a clear idea about this software’s capacity so you can use it.
- Tenorshare ReiBoot can fix all the issues with iOS systems. It can address all the issues after stopping a particular update.
- You can use it exceptionally easily without experiencing any difficulties, even if you are not an expert.
- You can use it to fix the glitches associated with iOS devices without causing any data loss.
- It is compatible with all iPhone models and iOS versions. For instance, it is compatible with iOS versions up to 16. Also, it is compatible with iOS devices up to 14 and 14 Pro (Max).
How to Fix Your iPhone After a Failed or Purposely Halted the Update
Whether you halt the update purposely or fail it automatically, there will be consequences. To fix all those issues, you must follow the steps mentioned below.
- As the first step, you should download and install ReiBoot on your computer. Then, launch the application and click on ‘Standard Repair‘ in ‘iOS System Repair.’
- Connect the faulty iPhone to the same computer and use a USB cable. Also, you will have to unlock the device so the program will recognize the device easily.
- If the respective device is damaged and the program doesn’t recognize it, the device is in DFU mode. If not, you should put it on recovery mode as well. You should follow the on-screen instructions on the software’s interface to get it done.
- After putting the device on DFU/Recovery mode, ReiBoot will identify your iPhone and its model. Also, it will identify the available firmware options for the same. Just choose the preferred firmware. Then, you should click on the option labeled ‘Download.’
- When the respective firmware is downloaded, you will have to click on the option ‘Start Standard Repair.’ So, ReiBoot will start to repair the device. Once the repair is completed, you will see that the device gets restarted.
Tenorshare ReiBoot is a very handy tool that can address various issues on your iOS device. Therefore, we consider it one of the must-have utilities for any iPhone user.
The Bottom Line
Now you know how to cancel the iPhone update, you can try it at your own risk. If you experience any glitches after a halted update, you can use Tenorshare ReiBoot and fix it.
Per our experience with Tenorshare ReiBoot, it is a very effective and trustworthy tool. Please let us know in the comments section below if you have any questions related to this matter.