In this article, we explain what Google update.exe is and how to get rid of it. If searching for such information, you have landed on the correct page.
So, please keep reading and learn everything about it.
What Exactly is Google Update.exe?
To begin this article, let’s examine the introduction to Google Update Service. In simplest terms, Google update.exe is a component found in Google Updater.
Also, this specific element is used to run Google Updater. The purpose of Googleupdate.exe is to download and install products that Google offers. In addition to that, the same element helps Google to remove or even update the products.
Google update.exe plays the role of a background process. The name of the service handled by Google Update Service is updated. With this service, you can keep the respective Google application always updated.
In fact, an updated version of any app works with smooth performance and better security. So, in a way, updating is a very important process.
Google Update Service gets installed on your computer automatically. That takes place when you install a specific product offered by Google.
One of the best examples of an app offered by Google is Google Chrome. This specific service can get uninstalled whenever your computer has no Google application installed on it.
If you want to find where Google update.exe is located on the computer, you can do the following.
As per this method, you are required to follow the steps mentioned below and find its location. You should enter the path below to find the location of Googleupdate.exe.
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate”
Is it safe to have Google Update Service on your computer?
As you can assume, Google update.exe is a safe application or a component. That is particularly because it is offered to you by Google itself. Also, it doesn’t offer any visible operating window in the system.
So, as long as it remains in its original location, Google update.exe is a safe option. In that case, you don’t have to worry about deleting or uninstalling it from your computer.
But what you should remember is that it can link to some issues as well in some cases. For instance, Google update.exe can be a problematic file if it has a massive file size than normal.
Also, it is an alarming sign if your Googleupdate.exe consumes a strange amount of CPU usage. Also, things can be pretty suspicious if your computer shows slow performance due to a Google update.exe. If you experience one of those instances, the chances are that there is a malware attack on your PC.
As of today, there is an uncountable number of viruses and malware applications circulating on the internet. Some malicious programs are developed to be very smart and tricky to fool users.
In some cases, even a seasoned user can get fooled by such malicious codes. One of the most cunning tricks malware developers use is camouflaging their exe files.
For instance, those malware programs can pretend to be regular, harmless programs installed in your system. So, no one will suspect them even if they do their jobs secretly from the background. The same theory can be applied to Google Update Service as well.
In this case, viruses or other malware programs can camouflage as Googleupdate.exe. So, even if you see it at a glance, you are very unlikely to suspect it. You will treat it as a regular program while it is doing its intended job. However, if you look closely at the function and its usage, you can differentiate it.
If Google update.exe shows heavy CPU usage or massive file size, that could be a virus. So, it is highly recommended to run a good antivirus program on your PC. That will detect the viruses that are disguised no matter under what name they hide.
Disabling Google Update.exe
Google Update Service is not the most important element in your Windows operating system. In other words, your system will function properly even if you disable or delete Google update.exe.
So, if you do find any issues pertaining to this specific application, you can take this step forward. That means you can uninstall or disable it from the system.
After disabling Googleupdate.exe, the Google applications you have installed in your system cannot update anymore. Also, you won’t be able to experience the latest features of Google Chrome. That could be the only disadvantage associated with uninstalling or disabling this service in your system.
Besides, if you are experiencing the issues like Chrome not playing sound, here are the top solutions for you.
So, if you are OK with that, let’s move forward and learn how to disable Google update.exe.
- To begin, you are supposed to disable Googleupdate.exe. Well, to do that, you should use a keyboard shortcut and save some time. In this case, you can press the “Windows” key and “R” on the keyboard. Then, you will see the “Run” utility is opened. Enter the text “msc” in the given space and hit “Enter” or press “OK” to continue. After doing so, you will be guided to a new window labeled “Windows Services.”
- Now, you should scroll down and find the option called “Google Update Service (gupdate).” It should appear in the list. Once you find it, you can perform double-click on it, and that will open the properties window.
- After that, please click on the option that appears as a dropdown icon. That appears next to the option called “Startup Type.” Then, you should go ahead and click on the option called “Disabled.” That will make Google update.exe disabled in your system.
- After that, please click on the “Apply” button and “OK.” That will apply to the changes you made.
Moreover, the same method can be applied to disable the updates related to the Google Chrome browser.
If you want to take an extra step forward and uninstall Google update.exe, that’s possible. However, to do that, you are supposed to install all the applications linked with Google Update Service.
Well, assume that the system doesn’t detect any Google application to use Google update.exe. If that’s the case, the update service will get uninstalled automatically.
Performing a Manual Update on Google Chrome
Sometimes, you cannot update the Google Chrome browser when the update service has issues. Although this is not a frequent matter, it can happen to any of us at anytime.
So, what if you are facing the same type of issue? In that case (if your Chrome browser doesn’t update automatically), you can do it manually.
The process is very simple. Please follow the below simple steps to update Google Chrome manually.
First, you should make sure that your computer has an internet connection. Then, launch Google Chrome on it and click on the icon that appears like three dots.
It is located in the right-hand side corner. Then, you will see a menu. Click on the “Help” option and choose “About Google Chrome.”
It is possible to check the version of your Chrome browser. Also, it will update the Chrome Browser to its most recent version.
If not, you can completely uninstall the Chrome browser. Then, reinstall the same application through their official website. That will install a fresh, updated copy of Google Chrome. At the same time, Google update.exe will be reinstalled.
- Can I safely remove the Google Update.exe Service? Yes, you can safely remove the Google Update.exe Service if you no longer wish to use it. However, keep in mind that by doing so, you might miss out on important updates for Google applications.
- Will disabling the Google Update.exe Service affect other Google software on my system? Disabling the Google Update.exe Service will prevent automatic updates for Google applications. To update these applications manually, you would need to visit the respective software’s official website and download the latest version.
- Are there any alternatives to the Google Update.exe Service? Yes, there are alternative software updaters available that can manage updates for various applications installed on your system. Some popular options include Patch My PC, SUMo (Software Update Monitor), and Ninite.
- Can I uninstall Google Update.exe Service without uninstalling the associated Google applications? No, the Google Update.exe Service is an integral part of Google applications like Google Chrome. If you uninstall the service, it will likely uninstall the associated Google application as well.
- How can I check if the Google Update.exe Service is running on my system? You can check if the Google Update.exe Service is running by opening the Task Manager (press Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and navigating to the “Services” tab. Look for entries related to Google Update or gupdate/gupdatem.
The above content explains what Google update.exe is and how it functions on your computer. Also, the same explains how to disable or uninstall Googleupdate.exe whenever you need to do so.
We hope that the above information will be handy for you. Please let us know if you have any questions about Google Update Service.