Does Google Drive compress video files and drop their quality noticeably?
I have several important video files to be saved into Google Drive and am worried about the quality-drop factor.
Can someone please tell me the truth? Thanks in advance!
Does Google Drive Compress Video & How to Do It Without Losing Quality?
Many individuals want to compress images and videos for the sake of convenient sharing. More importantly, they want to compress without necessarily losing the quality of the content.
So, it’s basically compressing the images while maintaining optimal image quality. It is true that, at once, this may seem an impossible task.
However, there are principles that may be followed to reduce the size of clips without sacrificing quality.
When compressing those files, however, people and businesses may notice discrepancies. In this piece, we’ll go through some of the best methods and tools for accomplishing this task.
So, let’s discuss the question “does Google Drive compress video” and more information about it.
Part 1: Can You Compress Videos While Maintaining the Original Quality?
Thanks to modern-day advancements, it is possible to compress videos without losing the original quality.
This format is called lossless compression format. Since this technology retains the original data, the quality of the picture will stay as it is.
Also, this specific type of compression is used to preserve the overall video quality during file transfers.
Since no data is lost, the size of the video won’t have a huge difference compared to the original.
Besides, if you wonder how to combine two videos on TikTok, here, we explain how to merge videos on TikTok easily with professional tools.
Part 2: How Can You Compress Videos While Retaining the Quality?
Now, in this section of our article, let’s learn the methods you can use to compress videos.
Then, will proceed and discuss does Google Drive compresses video.
Also, if you want to transfer files from OneDrive to Google Drive for free, here are some ways to move files from one cloud service to another without losing your files.
01. Use VLC to Compress Video Files
VLC is a media player that plays audio and video files and compresses videos.
The tasks for compressing files without sacrificing quality are easily accessible in the VLC player.
By the way, Google can’t verify my account issue is one of the most common problems experienced by Google users. Let’s see how to fix it with ease.
So, Here’s How to Use This Tool on Windows
- First, install VLC and open it. Select “Media” and go to “Convert/Save.”
- Go to the option “File” and select “Add” to upload the video.
- Select “Convert/Save.”
- Choose a format.
- Click on the icon that appears as a wrench.
- Go to video codec and change it as you may need.
- Now, click “Save” and pick a destination.
How to Use It on Mac?
- Install VLC on your mac and open it.
- Select files and go to “Convert Stream.” Select “Open Media.”
- After that, select the file that should be converted.
- Select any preset.
- Go to customize.
- Then, you should select the “Video codec” page.
- Choose a bit rate that should be above 1000 bits per second.
- Select “Save as.”
- Decide a name and a destination for the file.
- Hit “Save.”
02. Use ZIP to Convert a Video File Maintaining the Original Quality
When a file is “zipped,” its size is reduced without necessarily compromising its quality.
File contents are preserved without considerable size reduction, and the respective file can be easily shared.
The process of zipping files can vary between the MacOS and Windows OS.
Compressing Video Files Using a Mac
- First, on your video file, you should perform a right-click.
- Select the option called “Compress File.”
- Then, follow the steps that are displayed on the screen.
Compressing Video Files While Retaining the Quality on a Windows PC
- Right-click on the video.
- Select “Send to.”
- After that, you should select the option called zipped compress folder.
03. Compressing Video Using HitPaw
Before discussing “does Google Drive compress video,” here’s another method to compress videos using a dedicated tool.
In this case, we use an option called “HitPaw Toolkit.” It is dedicated to the process of resizing videos.
You can use this tool to share videos through many different social media platforms.
Below is how to use this tool.
- Download the application called “HitPaw” and install it.
- Now, on the app, click on the “Home” option.
- Then, click on the option called resize. Then, select any video.
- You can import that video.
- Set the preferences on your menu bar. You can even select a preset scale to match your requirement.
- If not, you can do a manual reset in terms of the scale.
- Now, you should select any further setting.
- Preview any selected effect simply by clicking “Play.”
- Then, you should add different editing effects as well.
- Click on the option called “Export.”
- Save your “Video” to proceed.
04. Use a Cloud Service to Compress Videos
Here’s another method you should know if you want to compress videos while retaining the quality.
Here, you can use Dropbox or Google Drive. So, this section will explain does Google Drive compresses video.
Dropbox is designed to be a cloud service. This specific service allows users to upload, share, and, more importantly, store big video files.
Users with a Dropbox account can send one another links to videos to watch online or download. The user’s paid plan determines the maximum file size in Dropbox. Below is how to do that.
- Go to any web browser and reach dropbox.com.
- Then, on its top-left corner, select the grid.
- Then, go to “Transfer.”
- Select “Create Transfer.”
To add files, you can drag and drop, click the “+” icon, or select “Add from Dropbox.”
- Now, you should enter an appropriate name.
- Select the expiry date and select the transfer option.
- Now, select the option called “Send Transfer.”
Use Google Drive
Does Google Drive compress video? Yes, it does. Here’s how to do that.
- First, launch Google Drive.
- Select one or more files. You can even add a folder.
- Right-click on the file and select “Download.”
- Let the file be downloaded. You can access the compressed file now.
05. Using an Online Tool to Compress Videos
There are online video compression sites that provide instructions on ways of reducing the file size of your videos. The best thing about these tools is that they do it without sacrificing image or sound quality.
Also, they don’t even require you to run any software on any of your devices. The software integrates seamlessly into a web browser. Then, it compresses video files while preserving their quality and presents a preview before downloading.
The tool called Veed video compressor is one such program that reduces file size without compromising quality. Veed is a free video compressor that works on Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac computers.
Compressing a Video Using a Veed Video Compressor
- First, launch any browser and visit veed.io.
- Go to “New Project.”
- Click the option called “Import.” Then, browse for the video.
- Wait until the video is uploaded.
- Then, click on the option called project.
- Select “Export Settings” and choose a suitable quality.
- You can even select advanced settings and tap “Constant Rate Factor.” You can then change the settings so that they will suit your preferences.
- You can even change other parameters like Resolution, Bit Rate, FPS, etc. The video size will be displayed in MB so you can decide if it matches your requirement.
- That’s it. You can click on the option called “Compress Video.”
- Now, it’s time to select “Download.”
- Wait until the video is rendered.
- Select the option called “Show in Folder.”
- You can now view properties and share your file.
06. Use QuickTime
You can even use QuickTime to edit videos and compress them.
- Open QuickTime and select “File.”
- Load the respective video and select “Export As.”
- Define the resolution level and rename your video.
- Select a location and hit “Save.”
Does Google Drive Compress Videos or Photos During Uploads?
Now, let’s get to this question straightaway; does Google Drive compress video during uploads? The answer is no.
When you upload a video, the quality doesn’t get lost. If you intend to stop compressing videos, you may follow the steps below.
- Launch Google Photos.
- Sign in and go to Menu.
- Select “Settings” and go to “Back up and sync.”
- Choose “Upload Size” and select “Original Quality.”
Reasons Why Google Drive Delivers Poor Video Quality
In some cases, Google Photos take a very long to upload videos, especially long ones. So, during that time, the video will be processed.
If you play the video during the process, you may experience poor video quality.
Three variables often affect the time it takes for a movie to process through Google Drive. Namely, those variables are the file size, the device type, and the network speed.
Before uploading a movie to Google Drive, you can speed up the process by increasing your internet connection. Also, you can consider decreasing the file size of the video.
Well, there’s not any limit in terms of video quality (resolution) when you upload videos to Google Drive.
However, the size of the file will definitely affect the upload speed. Also, Google Drive offers 1920X1080 as the maximum playback resolution.
In fact, Google Drive is among the most impressive options in terms of Cloud Storage. However, you will have a free quota of 15 GB.
Similar to Google Drive, OneDrive may compress videos for playback but not for storage. Dropbox does not compress videos but limits video streaming to 15 minutes for non-professional users.
Uploading videos in recommended formats like MP4, MOV, and AVI can help maintain their quality on Google Drive.
So, that’s our answer to those who had the question, “does Google Drive compress video.” Do you have other doubts about this matter? Please let us know.