Have you ever tried launching iTunes on your Windows 10 PC only to find that nothing happens? The iTunes icon stares back at you when you double click on it, almost mocking you.
Don’t worry – you’re not alone. The “iTunes won’t open on Windows 10” problem catches many people by surprise. But take a deep breath and relax – in most cases, this issue can be easily fixed with a few simple steps.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the top reasons why iTunes fails to launch on Windows 10 and show you how to get it working again.
Common Causes of iTunes Not Opening
Before we jump into the solutions, it helps to understand what might be causing the “iTunes won’t open” problem in the first place. Here are some of the most common culprits:
- Software conflicts: Other programs installed on your computer may interfere with iTunes components. Antivirus software is a common offender.
- Corrupted iTunes files: Errors in critical iTunes files can prevent the app from launching properly. This often happens after a faulty software update.
- Outdated Windows version: Using an older version of Windows that is no longer compatible with the latest iTunes can lead to startup issues.
- Incorrect permissions: iTunes may fail to open if it or related components lack the necessary administrative permissions.
- Too many iTunes plugins: Having too many third-party iTunes plugins can sometimes stop it from launching correctly.
- Problems with Bonjour: Issues with the Bonjour networking service, used by iTunes, can also block the app from opening.
- Broken shortcuts: Corrupted iTunes shortcuts on your desktop or Start menu won’t launch the app even if it is installed.
Now let’s go through each of the top solutions for getting iTunes up and running again on Windows 10.
14 Fixes for iTunes Not Opening in Windows 10
1. Restart your PC
The simplest first troubleshooting step is to restart your computer. This clears out any memory issues or software conflicts that may be preventing iTunes from opening.
Restarting your PC essentially provides a “clean slate” for iTunes to launch properly. It’s quick, easy, and may resolve the issue right off the bat.
2. Update Windows
An outdated Windows version can sometimes cause compatibility issues with the latest iTunes release.
Updating Windows is an easy fix – just head to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC. This will ensure you have the most up-to-date Windows版本 that works with iTunes.
3. Update iTunes
Just like Windows, running an old iTunes version can lead to launch problems. Go to the iTunes Help menu and select Check for Updates to see if you’re running the latest release.
If an update is available, download and install it. Keeping iTunes updated prevents bugs and resolves compatibility issues.
4. Run iTunes as Administrator
Access permission errors can sometimes stop iTunes from opening. To bypass this, right-click the iTunes app shortcut and select Run as administrator.
When prompted by User Account Control, click Yes to launch iTunes with admin rights. This grants the elevated privileges needed for the app to open correctly.
5. Reinstall iTunes
If iTunes is corrupted or damaged, fully reinstalling the application can fix launch issues.
6. Disable Antivirus Software
Antivirus tools like Windows Defender can occasionally block apps from launching. As a test, try temporarily disabling your antivirus to see if iTunes will open.
You can re-enable antivirus protection afterward – this just determines if anti-malware software is the culprit behind iTunes not opening.
7. Boot into Safe Mode
Booting into Windows Safe Mode loads a bare minimum version of the operating system. This can isolate software conflicts that prevent iTunes from launching normally.
To enter Safe Mode, press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog. Type “msconfig” and press Enter. Go to the Boot tab, check Safe boot then click OK. When prompted, restart your PC in Safe Mode and try running iTunes.
If iTunes opens in Safe Mode, a conflicting app is likely causing issues during regular startup.
8. Reset iTunes Components
Resetting all iTunes components to their default settings can resolve launch problems. This clears out any corrupted files or registry issues.
Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features, select iTunes and click Advanced options > Reset. This will reinstall iTunes, losing your preferences and login details but often fixing the launch issue.
Also read: Here are the best iPhone Explorer alternatives for Windows or Mac Users.
9. Create New User Account
Sometimes, iTunes fails to launch due to problems with your user profile. Testing a new user account isolates whether issues are restricted to your profile.
Open the Control Panel and under User Accounts, select Manage another account. Click Add a new user to create a fresh test account. Log into this account and see if iTunes opens properly.
If it does, the issue is isolated to your original profile and you can transfer iTunes data to the new account after deleting the old one.
10. Uninstall Bonjour
The Bonjour services that facilitate automatic iTunes connections can get corrupted and prevent iTunes from opening.
Try uninstalling Bonjour from the Control Panel, restarting your PC, then reinstalling the latest Bonjour version from Apple’s website. This resets Bonjour and resolves iTunes launch problems stemming from it.
11. Delete iTunes Plugins
Too many iTunes plugins from third-party developers can overload iTunes and stop it from working correctly. Removing these addons may fix launch issues.
Navigate to C:\Users[user]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes Plug-ins and delete all non-essential plugins. You can add them back one by one later to identify any problematic plugins causing iTunes to fail when launching.
12. Repair iTunes Library
Corrupted data in your iTunes library can also block the application from opening correctly.
As a last resort, you can recreate your iTunes library to essentially “start fresh”. Move your existing iTunes folder to your desktop, open iTunes so it creates a new empty library, add media folders, then migrate any non-corrupted data into this new library.
13. Using TunesCare to Fix iTunes Won’t Open on Windows 10
Although there are several methods to try when iTunes won’t open on Windows 10, it’s better to rely on a professional tool. The best tool we can recommend to fix this issue (for obvious reasons) is Tenorshare Tunescare. Just as the name suggests, Tenorshare Tunescare is a designated tool to fix problems related to iTunes.
It can repair both the iTunes and Windows components. You can download this repair tool for Windows 7/8/10/11. Moreover, Tenorshare Tunescare is a user-friendly application.
- It can detect the issues related to your iTunes at the launch itself and fix them quicker.
- It comes with a powerful repair feature.
- In addition to the “iTunes not opening” issue, it can fix various other iTunes-related issues.
- It protects your iTunes data (repairs iTunes-related issues without losing the library).
- Under the professional modes, it clears the iTunes junk and cache and optimizes your Windows PC.
- It can remove iTunes completely without leaving any traces.
1. Grab Tenorshare TunesCare to download and install. Once done, click ‘Fix All iTunes Issues‘ to kick off iTunes repair.
2. Next, hit ‘Repair iTunes‘ to download iTunes drives for repair.
3. After downloading the repairing drives for iTunes, TunesCare will start repairing your iTunes. When repair is completed, your iTunes will automatically restart.
Key Takeaways and Recommendations
To summarize, here are the key tips to remember if iTunes won’t open on Windows 10:
- Restart your PC and keep Windows updated
- Check for iTunes updates and reinstall if needed
- Run iTunes as administrator to grant permissions
- Disable antivirus software as a test
- Boot into Safe Mode to isolate conflicts
- Reset components like Bonjour and plugins
- Create a new user profile to rule out account issues
- Repair or recreate your iTunes library if corrupted
Following this troubleshooting guide should resolve nearly any iTunes launch issue you encounter on Windows 10. Stick to the basics first – update software, restart your system, reinstall iTunes if needed.
For tricky cases, boot into Safe Mode, strip away plugins, and reset components to isolate the cause. And when in doubt, repairing or rebuilding your iTunes library often does the trick.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here are answers to some common questions about fixing iTunes failing to open on Windows 10:
Q: Why does iTunes open then immediately close on my PC?
A: This is likely due to a plugin conflict. Boot into Safe Mode and remove all third-party iTunes plugins. Re-enable them one at a time until you identify the problematic plugin causing the crash.
Q: How do I reset my iTunes library on Windows?
A: Exit iTunes, press Windows + R, enter “%AppData%\Apple Computer\iTunes”, hit Enter. Delete the “iTunes Library.itl” and “iTunes Library Genius.idb” files. Open iTunes, which will create a new empty library. Then add your media back into this new library.
Q: Why does iTunes say it’s open but I can’t see it?
A: This is generally fixed by right-clicking the taskbar, selecting Task Manager, going to the Processes tab, finding iTunes and clicking End Task. Then restart iTunes normally and it should display properly.
Q: I get error code 100 when trying to open iTunes – how do I fix this?
A: Error 100 indicates the iTunes installer is damaged. Download the latest version from Apple’s website and reinstall it. Make sure to uninstall the existing corrupted iTunes version first via the Control Panel.
Q: How can I stop Windows Defender blocking iTunes from opening?
A: Open Windows Defender Security Center, go to Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & Threat Protection Settings > Add Exclusions and add an exclusion for the iTunes app and related executable files so Defender ignores them.
Q: What’s the easiest way to update iTunes on Windows 10?
A: Open the Microsoft Store app, go to the Updates section, find iTunes and click Update. This is the quickest way to update iTunes through the Microsoft Store on Windows 10.
Also read: How to fix iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. the value is missing error.
Troubleshooting iTunes failing to launch on Windows 10 can be frustrating, but fixing it is possible in most cases. Start with simple solutions like updating software and restarting your computer. For tougher cases, you may need to isolate conflicts, reset components, or repair your iTunes library files.
Following this guide will get iTunes back up and running smoothly in no time. Just stay calm, work through each solution methodically, and your iTunes will be launching and playing your music collection again.