Apple’s switch to the HEIC (High Efficiency Image Format) for photos taken on iPhone has caused compatibility issues for Android users. When an iPhone user sends HEIC photos to an Android device, they won’t display properly.
The good news is that with the right tools, you can easily convert HEIC to JPEG or other formats viewable on Android. This complete guide will teach Android users everything they need to know about transferring and converting HEIC photos from iPhone.
What is HEIC and Why Does iPhone Use It?
HEIC (High Efficiency Image Container) is a new image format Apple adopted in iOS 11.
Benefits of HEIC include:
- Smaller file sizes – HEIC compresses photos much better than JPEG.
- Faster sharing and editing – The smaller file sizes make transferring HEIC photos quicker.
- Saves storage space – With HEIC compression, your phone’s storage fills up slower.
However, HEIC has one major downside… it’s not compatible with Android! Android doesn’t natively support the HEIC format.
That’s why you need to convert HEIC images to JPEG or another common format before transferring them to Android devices.
How to Convert HEIC to JPEG on iPhone
Before sharing HEIC photos, it’s best to convert them to a more compatible format like JPEG.
The easiest way is to change your iPhone camera settings to save photos as JPEG instead of HEIC.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on Camera > Formats.
- Choose “Most Compatible” to save new photos as JPEG.
This ensures any new photos you take will be in JPEG format. However, it won’t convert existing HEIC photos. For that, you’ll need a dedicated HEIC conversion app.
Best Apps to Convert HEIC to JPEG on iPhone
Several apps on the App Store can batch convert HEIC photos to JPEG directly on your iPhone:
- HEIC Converter – Free app with no limits on conversions. Intuitive interface.
- Change HEIC – €3.99 but converts quickly. Integrates with Photos app.
- HEIC to JPEG – $2.99. Adds Share Sheet extension for easy converting.
I recommend HEIC Converter for most users since it’s free yet powerful. Here’s how it works:
- Download and install the HEIC Converter app.
- Open the app and tap “Select” to choose HEIC photos.
- Tap “Convert” and set output format to JPEG.
- Converted JPEGs are saved to your Photos app.
This gives you an easy way to bulk convert HEIC to JPEG right on your iPhone before sharing or transferring the photos.
How to Transfer Converted HEIC Photos to Android
Once your HEIC photos are converted to JPEG or another common format, you need to transfer them from your iPhone to the Android device.
There are a few ways to do this:
Via Email or Messaging App
- Email JPEG photos to yourself and download to Android.
- Text or share JPEG photos through messaging apps.
This works for small batches but can be slow for larger transfers.
Via Cloud Storage
- Upload JPEGs to cloud storage like Google Photos or Dropbox.
- Open cloud storage app on Android and download photos.
Convenient but requires internet and space in cloud storage.
Using File Transfer App
- Install a file manager app like Documents by Readdle on both devices.
- Transfer JPEGs over WiFi from iOS to Android.
No cables or internet required. Fast wireless transfer.
With Mobile Transfer Software
Mobile transfer tools like dr.fone provide the fastest, simplest way to transfer converted HEIC photos from iPhone to Android.
dr.fone – Phone Transfer transfers data directly between devices using a USB cable. No internet or cloud storage is needed.
To use dr.fone to transfer JPEG photos:
- Download and install dr.fone on your computer.
- Connect both phones to computer via USB.
- Select “Phone Transfer” in dr.fone.
- Choose photos to transfer and click Start Transfer.
- Photos will copy from iPhone to Android automatically!
dr.fone transfers any media file type seamlessly between iPhone and Android. You can even transfer HEIC files directly, as dr.fone will automatically convert them to JPEG during the transfer process.
Top 5 Benefits of dr.fone for Transferring from iOS to Android
Here’s why dr.fone is the best mobile transfer tool for sending photos and other data from an iPhone to Android device:
- Direct phone-to-phone transfers – Move data between devices connected to your computer.
- Wireless transfers – Send photos or other files wirelessly over WiFi.
- Automatic HEIC conversion – HEIC images are converted to JPEG during transfer.
- Selective transfer – Choose specific photos to transfer instead of entire albums.
- Intuitive interface – Simple user-friendly design for effortless operation.
Forget emailing photos or using cloud storage. dr.fone provides the easiest way to transfer photos of any format between your iOS and Android devices.
Top 5 Apps to View HEIC Photos on Android
If you need to view HEIC photos directly on your Android device, try one of these HEIC viewer apps:
- HEIF Viewer – Free viewer with editing tools.
- MHL Viewer – Opens HEIC files from local storage or URL.
- HEX Viewer – View HEIC metadata and EXIF data.
- Fotoable – Advanced editor with HEIC support.
- Simple HEIC Viewer – Lightweight viewer with slideshow feature.
While these HEIC viewer apps work, it’s still recommended to convert photos to JPEG for full compatibility with Android apps.
- HEIC is a new compressed photo format that saves space but has compatibility issues.
- iPhones running iOS 11 or later use HEIC format by default.
- Android can’t view HEIC photos natively – you need to convert to JPEG first.
- Use built-in settings or a conversion app to change HEIC to JPEG on iPhone.
- Transfer apps like dr.fone offer the easiest way to move JPEG photos to Android.
- Viewer apps can open HEIC files directly on Android but may be limited.
- For full compatibility, convert HEIC images before transferring to Android.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it better to keep iPhone photos as HEIC or convert to JPEG?
A: Keeping photos as HEIC saves a lot of space on your iPhone. But for sharing and transferring to Android, converting to JPEG is recommended for maximum compatibility.
Q: What’s the best free HEIC to JPEG converter app for iPhone?
A: HEIC Converter is an excellent free app that can batch convert HEIC photos to JPEG quickly and easily.
Q: Can I directly transfer HEIC photos from iPhone to Android?
A: Some transfer apps like dr.fone will automatically convert HEIC to JPEG when transferring directly between iOS and Android. But standalone HEIC images usually won’t show up properly on Android.
Q: Is AirDrop a good way to transfer photos between iPhone and Android?
A: No, AirDrop only works between Apple devices. You cannot use it to transfer photos directly from an iPhone to Android device.
Q: How can I send photos to Android if I don’t have a computer?
A: Try sharing them through email, messaging apps, or cloud storage if you don’t have a computer to transfer photos between your iPhone and Android device.
Q: Is Google Photos a good app for transferring HEIC photos from iOS to Android?
A: Yes, Google Photos can store HEIC images from your iPhone and let you access them on an Android device. But the HEIC photos will count against your cloud storage limit.
Q: What format should I use to save photos on iPhone before transferring to Android?
A: JPEG is your best bet. It’s compatible with all apps and loses the least image quality compared to smaller formats like HEIC or WebP.
I hope this complete guide has helped explain everything Android users need to know about transferring HEIC photos from an iPhone.
The key takeaways are:
- HEIC saves space but isn’t supported on Android.
- Always convert HEIC images to JPEG before transferring to Android.
- Use built-in settings or HEIC conversion apps on iPhone.
- Transfer wirelessly or use apps like dr.fone for easy file transfers.
- Viewers can open HEIC on Android but have limitations.
Converting to JPEG remains the best approach for easily sharing photos across iOS and Android platforms.