If you are an iPhone user, you might probably be using iMessage. In general, iMessage is a smoothly working feature on your iPhone.
However, in certain cases, even iMessage may malfunction for one reason.
In this article, we explain what you must do if iMessage not working on your iPhone.
An Introduction to iMessage
iMessage is Apple’s official way of sending a message to another iOS device user. In other words, iMessage is Apple’s alternative to Blackberry Messenger.
This feature has different characteristics than conventional SMS (text message) and MMS (Multimedia Messages). iMessage sends messages through the internet instead of cellular service.
In a nutshell, iMessage is a superb option that lets you allow iOS users to send and receive messages. Those who own iPhones, iPods, iPad, and Macs can message through iMessage with other iOS devices.
One of the most interesting features associated with iMessage is that it doesn’t have a character or data limit. That means you don’t have to restrict the number of characters when you send a text message.
However, one of the most notable drawbacks associated with iMessage is that it is compatible with iOS devices only. In other words, it is impossible to send an iMessage to an Android device.
Green Bubbles and Blue Bubbles – what are they?
After opening the Messages app on your iPhone, you will be able to see bubbles. These bubbles contain text messages. Some of these bubbles come in green color while others appear in blue.
Is there a significant difference between these two colors? Let’s find it out!
- If you see that the message is placed inside a blue color bubble, you have sent it through iMessage.
- However, if the bubble is green, that denotes that the message is sent using your cellular network directly. It can be either an SMS or an MMS.
PS: Let’s get to know how to add people to group text on iPhone.
If you experience any issue on iMessage, you should first do some observations. As the first step, you should find out if your iMessage is not working with a particular contact. If not, you should check if it doesn’t work with your contacts.
If you cannot send a message to a particular contact, the issue might be with that contact itself. On the other hand, if you cannot send an iMessage to any of the contacts, the issue might be yours.
To diagnose the issue correctly, you should do the following:
Send Someone a Test Message
First, find a friend who has an iPhone and sends him or her an iMessage as a text message. Simply send a short text (probably saying “text message”). If you see that the text you sent is a blue color bubble, there is no issue with iMessage.
However, if the message is in a green bubble, iMessage doesn’t work. That also means that you have sent the message through your cellular network.
Besides, if the Tap to download is not working on your iPhone, here, let’s figure out the possible reasons and the simple solutions to fix it with ease.
Now that the iMessage was not working issue has been diagnosed. Let’s see how to fix it.
01. Switch off and on iMessage Service
As the first (and the simplest method), you should switch off and on the iMessage app on your device. To do that, you should go to Settings and select the option Messages.
Then, go to the button next to iMessage and turn it off. Once the iMessage is turned off, you should restart your iOS device. To do that, you should follow the steps mentioned below.
- Press and hold the power button
- When you see the slide with “Slide to Power Off” text, slide it to turn off the device
- Then, to turn the device back, you should press and hold the power button once again
Once the device is switched on, you will have to turn on the iMessage service as well. To do that, go to the Settings app, Messages, and turn on the iMessage.
If you are lucky enough, this simple trick might work perfectly to solve the “iMessage not working” issue.
02. Configure the iMessage Correctly
Sometimes, your iMessage is not working because of a wrong configuration of the iMessage service. If the previous method didn’t work for you, you may try reconfiguring iMessage and see if it works. Let’s see how to do it.
- Go to the Settings app and select Messages.
- Then, tap on the option labeled “Send & Receive.”
- Now, you can see several phone numbers and email addresses. Your iOS device will receive and send messages through the configurations made using these numbers and email addresses.
- Navigate to the section labeled “Start New Conversations Form.”
- If you don’t find a checkmark with the phone number you are using now, add it. To do that, you should tap on the number and get it activated.
You can now check if your iMessage service is working correctly.
03. Check if the Internet Connection is Working Correctly
As you already know, having an internet connection is compulsory for you to send an iMessage. It must have mobile data or a Wi-Fi connection. If the connection is dropped or the device is not connected to the internet, you cannot send an iMessage.
So, the next obvious thing you should do is check if the device has a good internet connection. It is a very simple process. All you have to do is to open up the web browser (Safari) and visit any website you prefer.
If you don’t see the website loading, there is an issue with your internet connection. In other words, if you cannot visit a website through your iOS device, you cannot send an iMessage as well.
So, be sure to connect your iOS device to a solid network and try sending the message again.
04. Sign out and Sign in to iMessage
This is another simple trick you can try to fix iMessage. To do this, you should follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the Settings app and select Messages.
- Then, tap the “Send & Receive” option to open it.
- You should then tap on your Apple ID.
- Then, you should “Sign Out” of your account.
- Again, you should sign in with your Apple ID.
- Then, you must send an iMessage to someone you know who has an iPhone.
That should work!
05. Look if There is an iOS Update
If you haven’t performed an iOS update for a while, it is better to check for it. To do this, you should go to the Settings app and hit the “General” option.
Then, head towards the Software Update and observe if it has any iOS updates available. Perhaps, the new update will address the issue related to iMessage.
06. Perform a Network Setting Reset on the Device
The network settings of your iPhone can directly affect your iPhone’s iMessage functionality. If your iMessage is affected by such an issue, you can solve it simply by resetting the configuration settings.
To reset the device’s network settings to its factory default, you should follow these instructions. To do this, you should go to Settings and hit “General.” Then, go to Reset and select the “Reset Network Settings” option.
However, before you do it, be sure that you know the password of your Wi-Fi connection. That is because once the network settings are reset, all the configuration data will be deleted. All the saved Wi-Fi networks will be gone.
After rebooting your device, you should connect to the Wi-Fi network providing the passwords. Also, you must remember that your iOS device’s VPN settings and Bluetooth connection will be reset.
07. Get Assistance of Apple’s Official Support Service
If none of the above steps worked for you, you should consider contacting Apple’s Support. In this case, you will have to take your device to an Authorized Apple Store. Before you visit it, however, it is better to reserve an appointment.
Don’t take your iPhone to a random person who just claims to have the ability to repair iPhones. If something goes wrong, your iPhone’s warranty may be void.
PS: Let’s get to know why won’t my phone send pictures as expected.
What if you don’t want to take the trouble of taking your iPhone to an Apple store? What if you need a reliable solution to fix various other issues related to iOS devices? In this section, we will reveal an excellent tool that can address iOS issues and fix them.
If you have Tenorshare ReiBoot software, you don’t have to worry about your iOS device’s stability. It is capable of recovering your iOS device from a variety of errors without affecting your data.
The software comes with excellent reliability. It doesn’t make your device vulnerable to third parties. The data of your iPhone will be perfectly secured with Tenorshare ReiBoot (iOS System Recovery).
- Repairs your device either in advanced mode or standard mode
- Can repair issues like iPhone Reminders not working, iPhone flashlight not working, iPhone alarm not working, iPhone stuck in recovery mode, Frozen iPhone, White Screen of Death, Boot Loop, etc.
- Bypass errors related to iTunes
- Enter or exit recovery mode
- Easy-to-use interface
1. First, download the software to your computer and install it. After opening it, you should click on the Start button to begin.
2. Connect the faulty iOS device to the same computer through your USB cable.
3. Click on the “Fix Now” button to begin the process
4. You can then choose to download the firmware. Once the firmware is downloaded, it will automatically fix the issue. After the download, the program will automatically start to fix the issue.
5. At the completion of the repair process, you will see that the device is rebooting.
6. The device will now be restored to its normal mode.
Your iMessage not working issue must be fixed by now.
Well, that is the best method you can try to fix the “iMessage not working” issue on your iOS device.
We suggest you go through the options mentioned in this article and choose the best. As a general suggestion, we can mention the Tenorshare ReiBoot tool as the best option.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Why isn’t my iMessage working?
- Several factors could cause iMessage to stop working, including internet connectivity issues, incorrect Apple ID sign-in, or iMessage being disabled.
- What do I do if my iMessage doesn’t send?
- Start by checking your internet connection, ensuring you’re correctly signed in with your Apple ID, and making sure iMessage is enabled.
- How do I enable iMessage?
- Go to “Settings,” then “iMessage,” and ensure the iMessage toggle is turned on.
- How do I know if I’m signed in correctly with my Apple ID?
- Go to “Settings,” then “iMessage,” and check the Apple ID used for iMessage.
- What if the “iMessage not working” error persists?
- If the error persists, you can try troubleshooting your device or reaching out to Apple support.
In this article, we’ve explored what to do when facing the “iMessage not working” error. By checking your internet connection, ensuring you’re signed in with your Apple ID, and making sure iMessage is enabled, you should be able to get back to seamless chatting in no time. However, if all else fails, Apple support is always there to assist you.