We all have important photos and memories stored on our Android devices. But what if you accidentally deleted some precious photos from your phone’s internal storage? Don’t panic! You can recover deleted photos on Android even without a backup.
In this comprehensive guide, you’ll learn several effective methods to restore deleted photos from Android internal memory.
Overview of Recovering Deleted Photos on Android
When you delete photos on your Android device, the files are not immediately erased. Instead, the operating system simply marks the storage space as available for new data. Your deleted photos remain in the internal memory until they are overwritten by new files.
This means it’s possible to “undelete” photos on Android if you act quickly and use data recovery software. The key is to stop capturing new photos or downloading apps, as this can overwrite the deleted files.
Then you can use either your Android’s built-in restore features or try a dedicated photo recovery app to rescue your memories. With the right tools, you can recover deleted photos from Android internal storage in a few easy steps.
- Deleted photos remain in your Android’s internal storage until overwritten by new data.
- Stop capturing new photos or downloading apps right after accidental deletion.
- Use Android’s built-in restore features or try data recovery software.
- Act quickly before the deleted photos are permanently overwritten.
- With the right method, you can recover deleted Android photos easily.
4 Methods to Recover Deleted Photos on Android
There are a few different ways to restore your deleted pictures on an Android device. Here are the top 4 methods to recover deleted photos from Android internal storage:
1. Restore Deleted Photos Using Google Photos
If you have Google Photos backup enabled, it’s the fastest way to recover deleted photos on Android. Google Photos stores all your backed up images in the cloud.
Here’s how to restore deleted photos using Google Photos:
- Open the Google Photos app and sign into your Google account.
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon ≡ and select Trash.
- Preview your deleted photos and select the ones you want to restore.
- Finally, tap Recover to restore them back to your Android device.
The great thing about Google Photos is it keeps your deleted photos in the Trash for 60 days before permanently erasing them. So you have an ample window to restore deleted pictures on Android.
2. Retrieve Photos from Your Android’s Recycle Bin
Some Android devices like Samsung have a built-in recycle bin that stores recently deleted photos. Check if your Android has this capability:
- Unlock your phone and open the Gallery app.
- Tap on the More Options menu (3 vertical dots).
- Select Recycle Bin or Trash.
- Preview and select the photos to restore.
- Tap Recover or Restore.
This method allows you to easily recover deleted photos on Android within a certain time limit, usually around 15-30 days.
3. Use a File Manager App to Find Deleted Photos
Another way is to use a file manager or file recovery app to scan your internal storage for deleted photos. Apps like DiskDigger have a good chance of recovering recently deleted photos.
Follow these steps to try this method:
- Download and install DiskDigger from the Play Store (free version is fine).
- Launch DiskDigger and grant it storage access permission.
- Select your internal storage and tap Scan for deleted photos.
- Preview found deleted photos and select those you want to recover.
- Finally, tap Recover to restore the deleted photos back to your device storage.
File manager apps can dig deep and recover deleted photos Android internal memory even without root access.
4. Use Data Recovery Software to Restore Deleted Photos
For the best chance of recovering deleted photos, use professional Android data recovery software like dr.fone. They use advanced scanning algorithms to find deleted photos in your internal storage.
Here are the key steps when using dr.fone to recover deleted photos on Android:
- Download and install dr.fone on your computer.
- Connect your Android device to the computer via USB.
- Select Recover Android Data. In the next screen, select Gallery and tap Next.
- The app will scan your Android phone thoroughly to find deleted photos.
- Preview and select the photos you want to recover.
- Finally, click Recover to restore the deleted photos back to your device.
The great thing about data recovery apps is they can recover deleted photos Android internal memory even after a factory reset. It allows you to recover call recording, and even recover data from broken Android by scanning them directly. Just avoid capturing new photos or downloading new apps after deletion.
Tips for Successful Deleted Photo Recovery on Android
Follow these tips to improve your chances of recovering deleted photos from your Android phone successfully:
- Stop using your device: Avoid capturing new photos or downloading apps after accidental deletion. This can overwrite your deleted photos making recovery difficult.
- Act quickly: Your deleted data stays on your device’s internal storage temporarily. Recover as soon as possible before it gets overwritten.
- Charge your phone: Make sure your phone is adequately charged for the data recovery process. A minimum of 50% charge is recommended.
- Enable USB debugging: This allows data recovery apps full access to your files. Enable it in Developer Options.
- Create a backup: Once you recover deleted photos, create a backup on cloud storage or external SD card to avoid future data loss.
Using Professional Data Recovery Services
If you are unable to recover deleted photos from Android internal storage on your own, consider using a professional data recovery service. Reputable companies like DriveSavers or Ontrack offer Android data recovery services.
Though expensive, they use sophisticated tools in a sterile lab environment to recover data even from severely damaged devices. This is the most reliable option to recover lost photos when all else fails.
Preventing Data Loss on Android
Prevention is better than cure when it comes to photos. Follow these tips to avoid accidental data loss on your Android device:
- Enable Google Photos backup: This automatically backs up all device photos to the cloud. Deleted photos remain in trash for 60 days.
- Use local backups: Backup photos periodically to a computer or external storage using Android backup software.
- Add SD card storage: Use a high-capacity SD card to store photos and back up the card periodically.
- Be careful when deleting: Double check before batch deleting photos or clearing app caches.
- Install anti-virus software: Use software like Avast or AVG to prevent malware that can encrypt/delete photos.
FAQs About Recovering Deleted Photos on Android
1. Where are deleted photos stored on Android?
Deleted photos remain in your Android’s internal storage without any specific folder until the space is overwritten by new data. Think of it as free space containing invisible deleted photo files.
2. How can I recover deleted photos without computer or cloud?
Use your Android’s built-in restore features like gallery recycle bin to recover deleted photos directly on your phone, without a computer. File manager apps like DiskDigger can also dig out deleted photos from internal storage without computer or cloud access.
3. Can deleted photos be recovered after factory reset?
It depends on whether the storage space of deleted photos was overwritten during the reset. If unique new data wasn’t saved, data recovery apps can still find deleted photos from internal memory after factory reset.
4. How long are deleted photos kept before overwriting?
There is no set duration as it depends on your device usage. If you continuously capture new photos and install apps, deleted photos could be overwritten within days. With low usage, even months. Act quickly for best recovery results.
5. Can I recover deleted photos after resetting my Android phone?
It’s possible to recover deleted photos even after factory resetting your Android phone using data recovery software. They can find deleted photos in internal memory unless the space was overwritten by installing new apps or saving files after the reset.
6. What happens when you delete photos on Android?
Deleting photos on Android simply marks the storage space occupied by those photos as free space. The deleted photo files still remain but become invisible. They get permanently erased only when new data overwrites that space.
7. Which app is best to recover deleted photos?
For Android, dr.fone toolkit is considered among the best for deleted photo recovery from internal storage. Other good options are DiskDigger Photo Recovery, Dumpster, etc. For deleted photos on Windows, try Recuva or Stellar Data Recovery.
8. Can deleted photos be recovered from Android if overwritten?
If storage space of your deleted photos has been overwritten by new files, it becomes almost impossible to recover them – even using data recovery software. The new data replaces older deleted data.
9. How can I recover permanently deleted photos?
If you act quickly before new data overwrites the storage space, data recovery apps can recover even permanently deleted photos on Android internal memory. Avoid using the device and recover as soon as possible.
10. Why can’t I recover deleted photos from my Android device?
Common reasons are: captured new photos or installed apps after deletion that could have overwritten the deleted files, formatting internal storage after deletion, not finding the deleted photos using incorrect data recovery methods.
Key Takeaways: How to Recover Deleted Photos Android
- Stop using your Android device immediately after deletion to avoid overwriting.
- Restore recently deleted photos using Gallery recycle bin or Google Photos trash.
- Use data recovery apps like DiskDigger to dig out deleted photos from internal storage.
- dr.fone toolkit is highly effective for recovering deleted Android photos.
- Act quickly before the storage space is overwritten by new files.
- Create frequent backups to prevent permanent data loss in future.
Accidentally losing precious photos stored on your Android device can be devastating. Thankfully, there are several effective techniques you can use to recover deleted photos – provided you act quickly before they are permanently overwritten.
Using in-built Android restore features, file recovery apps, or dedicated data recovery software can help rescue deleted photos from your phone’s internal storage easily.
Just make sure to stop capturing new images or installing apps immediately after deletion. Avoid resetting your device or formatting internal storage at all costs after losing photos.
Follow the tips outlined in this guide, and you’ll have the best chance to recover deleted photos from Android and regain those lost memories!