The recycle bin, also known as the trash can or trash bin, is a virtual folder present on most operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Android. When a user deletes a file, it is moved to the recycle bin, allowing for easy recovery in case of accidental deletions. However, if you prefer a cleaner desktop or wish to streamline your digital workspace, hiding the recycle bin might be a suitable option for you.
Reasons to Hide the Recycle Bin
There are several reasons why someone might choose to hide the recycle bin on their desktop:
- Aesthetic Preference: Some users find the recycle bin icon visually unappealing and prefer a cleaner desktop without unnecessary icons.
- Personalization: Hiding the recycle bin allows users to customize their desktop and make it reflect their personal style and preferences.
- Minimalist Approach: Embracing a minimalist approach to desktop organization can enhance focus and reduce distractions.
- Enhanced Productivity: By removing the recycle bin from plain sight, users can stay focused on their tasks without any visual interruptions.
Here are six effective methods that are available for you to consider. You can go through these six methods and try any of them to hide your recycle bin.
How To Hide Recycle Bin on Windows 7/10
Here are the steps to hide your Recycle Bin if you use a Windows 7 or 10 computer.
The easiest method to hide your recycle bin would be to pin it to your start menu. Below mentioned are the steps to get the job done.
- You need to go to your desktop and locate Recycle Bin. Then you should right-click on the icon.
- Now you must select “Pin to Start.”
- Once you do it, you will be able to get rid of the icon of Recycle Bin on your desktop. Instead, you will be able to see the Recycle Bin icon on your start menu.
2. Add Recycle Bin to File Explorer
It is also possible for you to add the Recycle Bin to File Explorer. This is an excellent alternative to the first method.
You will need to open up your Windows Explorer. The shortcut key combination “Windows + E” will be able to help you with that.
Once you open Windows Explorer, you will need to drag and drop the Recycle Bin into Explorer.
3. Remove Recycle Bin from the desktop settings
Desktop settings can also provide you with the chance to remove the Recycle Bin. You will have to follow the below-mentioned steps to get the job done.
Just follow them, and you will be effectively hiding the appearance of Recycle Bin on your desktop.
If you are on Windows 10, you should:
- Go to the desktop, then right-click and select “Personalize.”
- Once you are on Personalize Settings, you need to pick Themes from the left-hand column. Now you need to scroll down a bit on the right-hand column until you can see the “Desktop Icon Settings” link.
- You should open the Desktop Icon Settings link and now see what Desktop Icons should be displayed. You can remove the icon of Recycle Bin available in this list.
- Now you can save settings, and you will not be able to see Recycle Bin on the desktop.
In the case of Windows 7 or Windows 8, you should:
- Right-click on the desktop and click on “Personalize.”
- Now you need to click on the “Change Desktop Icons” link. Here, you can remove the tick for “Recycle Bin” in the checkboxes.
- You can now save settings to Hide Recycle Bin from your desktop.
How To Show The Recycle Bin If You Are On Windows 7 And Windows 10 Computer?
If you are hiding the recycling bin, you will come across the need to make it visible again. In such a situation, you can think about following these steps.
They can assist you with making your Recycle Bin visible so that you can locate all the files you have deleted.
1. Displaying Recycle Bin with the Recycle Bin Settings
Once you hide Recycle Bin, you can go to Settings and make it visible again. The steps are pretty much similar to what you followed to hide the Recycle Bin as well.
- You will need to right-click on the desktop and then click on “Personalize.”
- You should now go to the “Themes” from the left-hand panel that you can see. Along with that, you need to pick “Desktop Icon Settings.”
- And now, you will need to locate the checkbox against Recycle Bin. You can check the checkbox and save the settings. Along with that, you can make the Recycle Bin visible again.
2. A Secure Method to Find the Recycle Bin
There is a secure method available for you to locate your Recycle Bin. It is possible to follow this method, as well. Here are the steps that you must follow to get the job done.
- You should first open File Explorer. The shortcut key combination Windows + E will be able to help you with that.
- Now you must navigate to the address bar and type “Recycle Bin.” Upon typing, you should hit on the Enter button.
- Now Windows Explorer will search and help you to locate your Recycle Bin on the screen.
Also read: Ways to empty the Recycle Bin.
Hiding the Recycle Bin on Mac
Method 1: Using Terminal
- Launch Terminal from the Utilities folder in Applications.
- Type the command “defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool false” and press Enter.
- Type “killall Finder” and press Enter to restart the Finder without the recycle bin icon.
Method 2: Using Third-Party Apps
- Download and install third-party apps like “CleanMyMac X” or “DesktopUtility.”
- Use the app’s settings to hide the recycle bin icon from the desktop.
Hiding the Recycle Bin on Android
Method 1: Using a Custom Launcher
- Install a custom launcher like Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher from the Google Play Store.
- Long-press on the home screen, select “Settings,” then “App & widget drawers.”
- Toggle off the option for “Show Recycle Bin” or a similar setting, depending on the launcher used.
Method 2: Using Third-Party Apps
- Download and install apps like “Hide Recycle Bin” or “Home Screen Settings.”
- Follow the app’s instructions to hide the recycle bin icon from your Android device.
Benefits of Hiding the Recycle Bin
Reducing Visual Clutter
Hiding the recycle bin can declutter your desktop, creating a more visually appealing and organized workspace.
A cleaner desktop with hidden icons can be aesthetically pleasing and add a personal touch to your computer setup.
With fewer distractions on the desktop, you can concentrate better on your work and boost productivity.
Q1: Can I still access the Recycle Bin if it’s hidden? Yes, even if you hide the Recycle Bin icon, you can still access it by opening the File Explorer and typing “Recycle Bin” in the address bar.
Q2: Will hiding the Recycle Bin permanently delete my files? No, hiding the Recycle Bin only removes the desktop icon. Your deleted files will still be stored in the Recycle Bin until you empty it or restore the files.
Q3: How can I restore the Recycle Bin icon if I change my mind? To restore the Recycle Bin icon, follow the same steps outlined in the methods above, but check the box or select the “Disabled” option instead of unchecking or selecting “Enabled.”
Q4: Can I hide other desktop icons using these methods? Yes, the methods mentioned in this article can be used to hide other desktop icons as well. Simply follow the same steps and locate the specific icon you want to hide.
Hiding the Recycle Bin on your Windows computer can help you achieve a cleaner and more organized desktop. Whether you want to enhance aesthetics, personalize your workspace, or optimize your workflow, the methods outlined in this article give you various options to hide the Recycle Bin based on your preferences. Choose the method that suits you best and enjoy a clutter-free desktop.