As technology evolves, the way we communicate continues to revolutionize. Today, we’re shining a light on Google Hangouts and specifically, the Google Hangout Screen Share feature.
Wondering what it is? How it works? And why it can be your go-to tool for effective communication? Then, you’re in the right place!
Understanding Google Hangouts: An Overview
Before we delve into the specifics of screen sharing, let’s quickly outline what Google Hangouts is. It’s a communication platform that integrates video conferencing, voice calls, and text messaging into one application. Handy, isn’t it?
Google Hangout Screen Share is a fantastic feature within the Google Hangouts tool that allows you to share your screen with other participants in your meeting. It’s ideal for presentations, demonstrations, or even when you need some tech support!
By using this feature, you enhance the collaborative aspect of your meetings. It helps in keeping everyone on the same page, literally and figuratively! Let’s not forget, it also saves time and boosts the overall productivity of your meeting.
In this article section, we intend to explain how to share your Google Hangout screen. We will explain the process in step-by-step mode, so even a beginner will find it very useful.
1. The obvious first step to sharing the Google Hangout screen is opening the app. You can find this app pretty easily. The app icon appears as a large green color callout with white inverted commas in it.
2. Now that you have opened the app, you should click on the option labeled “compose.” And then, the option called “new video call” will be available. Just click on this option.
Then, you can find that you are given the option of selecting the people who want in the room. The video calls you made after this option will be shared with the ones you select.
After selecting the names which whom you will share the video call, click on the option “Video Call.” This is available in the form of a button.
3. You should now find the option (button) labeled “Share Screen” within Google Hangouts app. This option can be found at the third button from the top (sidebar towards the left).
You can find it pretty conveniently as it appears like a green rectangle with a white arrow. This arrow is pointed to the right-hand side. Just click on this button.
4. Immediately after clicking on this green color button, the actions you perform will be shared. That means the actions you perform will be shared with those who are joined in the video call.
The open windows you have on your computer can be shared separately. This means you can decide which folder is to be shared.
You can also decide whether or not to share the entire screen. If not, you can share specific folders as well. For instance, you can share folders like my documents or even your web browser.
Remember that the shared items should be displayed in Full-Screen mode. That is unless you share the entire screen.
5. After selecting the application or the program that needs to be shared, you should click the share button. This button is located towards the bottom right of the screen. However, this option works only if you have Google Chrome as the default browser.
On the other hand, if you have a different browser, you should see the button “Start Screenshare.” So, keep this in mind when you search for the button to share the content.
6. Please do remember that clicking on the “Share” button doesn’t share the screen instantly with the ones selected. Instead, you should give it a couple of seconds to load the contents. All you need is patience to proceed from this step to the next.
7. Once you notice that the sharing session is completely loaded successfully, you should proceed with “Present to everyone.” This option is available in the form of a button.
After clicking on this option, you will see that the others can view the selected screen. However, you should note that the contents are viewable by the selected individuals in the predefined room.
8. Now that you have come to this point, you are ready to share the action. You can share a screen, an application, or a window as you wish. You can use your keyboard or mouse to type or input anything freely. What will your input be seen by the other participants?
9. After presenting the contents over your Hangout screen and your presentation is over, what should you do? Well, you should stop the sharing process once the presentation is over.
Everything you do will be shared even when it shouldn’t. Just move back to the active hangout window and then click on the button labeled “Stop.” This appears on the top of the taskbar. Just click on this option so you can stop sharing the screen.
Apart from that, you can do the same by terminating the video call activated right now. This approach will prevent the other participants from seeing the screen you have already shared.
PS: if you wonder how to mirror a Samsung phone to a PC, this guide you should check out.
Common Issues and Troubleshooting
Issue 1: Screen Sharing Not Working
If you’re experiencing this, try checking your internet connection or refreshing the page.
Issue 2: Poor Video Quality
Again, this may be down to your internet connection. Closing other bandwidth-hungry applications may help.
Issue 3: Connection Issues
A quick fix might be to exit and rejoin the meeting or restart your device.
Rest assured, Google has made security a priority. However, it’s always wise to ensure you’re only sharing what you intend to!
In a nutshell, Google Hangout Screen Share is a powerful tool that helps you communicate more effectively. It’s easy to use, efficient, and is sure to make your online meetings more productive.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is Google Hangout Screen Share free? Yes, it’s a free feature within Google Hangouts.
- Can multiple participants share their screen at the same time? No, only one participant can share their screen at a time.
- Do all participants need to have a Google account to view the shared screen? Yes, all participants should be signed in to their Google account.
- What can I do if my Google Hangout Screen Share is not working? First, check your internet connection and ensure your browser is up to date. If the issue persists, try restarting your device.
- Can I use Google Hangout Screen Share on my mobile device? Yes, but the user experience may vary from the desktop version.