“Failed To Play Test Tone” is an error associated with various aspects of your system. For instance, it could be due to audio drivers, sound configurations, or even corrupted Windows files.
The purpose of this article is to teach you how to solve the issue easily. So, continue reading and learn how to get it fixed. The solutions included in this article can be applied to all the Windows versions from Windows 7 to 10.
Fix 1: Restart the Windows Audio Service in case of “Failed To Play Test Tone” error
Let’s start with the most basic solution. Although this method sounds very simple, it is equally effective. So, just go through the simple steps mentioned below and get the “Failed To Play Test Tone” issue fixed.
- First of all, you should bring the “Run” utility up. To do that, you can use the “Windows” key and “R” key on the keyboard simultaneously. Once the “Run” utility is opened, you can see that there is an empty box to type.
- You should type the text “services.msc” in the given field. Then, you should either hit the “Enter” key or press the “OK” button to proceed.
- That will bring up a separate window labeled “Services.” In this new window, you will be able to see plenty of services. Locate the option called “Windows Audio.” Then, right-click on it. You will see several options on the popup menu. Select “Restart” from the list. Now, the audio service will be restarted.
- You can now check if the problem is resolved.
PS: let’s figure out how to fix issues of The Audio Service Is Not Running with ease.
Fix 2: Repair the corrupted files in your Windows OS
As we have mentioned earlier, the “Failed To Play Test Tone,” error can occur due to bad system files too. In that case, the solution is to repair those corrupted files and get them working properly. Please follow the below guide if you don’t know how to repair the corrupted system files.
- First, you should launch the Run utility on your system. To do that, you should press and hold “Windows” and “R” keys simultaneously on the keyboard. Once the “Run” utility is launched, you can enter text there. In this case, just enter the text “CMD.”
- Once you have done that, hit the “Enter” key or press “OK” on the dialog box.
- When the command prompt is opened, you will see a blank space to type. In that, type the text “sfc / scannow” (without inverted commas). Once the line is typed, make sure to hit the “Enter” key on the keyboard.
- Well, the scanning process will take a while to be completed. So, all you should do now is to wait patiently.
This will scan for all the corrupted files in your OS and repair them. If the “Failed To Play Test Tone” is caused due to corrupted system files, it must have fixed now.
You must make sure that you run the command with Administrator privileges. Otherwise, you will get an error message mentioning that the system is unable to proceed. If you get such a message, just relaunch the command prompt using administrator privileges.
If you do not know how to open command prompt using administrator privileges, you should follow the steps below.
- Press “Windows” + “R” to bring the “Run” utility up.
- Then, type the text “CMD.”
- Then, you should press “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Enter” at once.
- That’s it.
- Hit the “Windows” key alone so it will bring the Start Menu up.
- Then, in the search field, type the text “CMD.”
- When the icon labeled “Command Prompt” appears, just right-click on it.
- Choose the option labeled “Run as Administrator” on it.
Besides, if you are experiencing the issue of no sound on YouTube, here are the best answers for you.
Fix 3: Change the Playback Properties’ sample rate in case of Failed To Play Test Tone
In certain cases, the problem can occur due to an incompatible sample rate as well. If none of the above fixes have worked, the sample rate could be the issue.
So, changing the sample rate back to normal mode would be the issue. To learn how to change the sample rate, read the following steps.
- First, you should locate the sound icon. This icon is located in the bottom-right corner of the screen. You should right-click on the icon so you can see its popup.
- Choose the option called “Playback Devices” on that option.
- After choosing the Playback tab, you should choose the installed sound card on the computer. Then, click on the option called “Properties” as well.
- Then, click on the option labeled “Advanced” tab. You will be able to see the default sample rate as 16-bit, 44100 Hz. You should change it to a different sample rate profile and hit “Apply” to save it. Then, check if the issue is resolved. If it is not resolved, you should choose a different sample rate once again and see if it works.
- Do you see the sample rate is set to something else other than default? If you see such a case, you should click on the option called “Restore Defaults.” Then, test if you hear the sound.
Fix 4: If you have enabled any audio enhancements, disable them
If none of the above options have worked for you so far, here’s the next solution. In this solution, you are required to disable the audio enhancements you have enabled on your PC. If you want to learn how to do it, read the following steps carefully.
- First, locate the sound icon found at the bottom-right corner. Then, right-click on the icon to see a popup menu. You can then see the option called “Playback Devices.” Just click on it to select.
- Now, select the option labeled “Speakers” and then go to the “Properties” of it.
- You can then see a tab called “Enhancements.” Just click on it. You will be able to see an option called “Disable all enhancements” on the screen. It has a checkbox as well. You should check that box. However, in some Windows versions, it may appear like “Disable all sound effects.” Select the respective option and then click on the option called “Apply,” so the settings will be saved.
- Now, you should check if you can hear the audio without any problem.
Fix 5: Reinstall your Audio Drivers to fix ‘Failed To Play Test Tone’
Do you still have the same issue? Can you not hear any audio yet? Don’t worry. The problem might be related to the audio drivers of the PC. That means wrong or corrupted audio drivers on your PC can trigger the “Failed To Play Test Tone” issue.
So, it is obvious that its worth reinstalling your drivers. Basically, audio drivers are the program that links corresponding hardware into the operating system. This special program can get corrupted or outdated as you use the PC for quite a while.
When the drivers fail, the operating system becomes unable to detect the respective hardware component. In that case, you will either have to update or reinstall the drivers for the hardware to work again.
Just follow below simple steps in order to reinstall your audio drivers.
- First, you should launch the Device Manager on your PC. To do that, you should hit the “Windows” key and “R” key on the keyboard. Then, once the “Run” utility appears, enter the text “devmgmt.msc.” Then, hit “Enter” or even press “OK” on the keyboard.
- Then, the device manager will be opened. You should see a list of categories now. You can click on those categories to expand them. In this case, you should expand the category called “Sound, video, and game controllers.”
- Once it is expanded, you should right-click on the name of the audio device installed. Then, click on the option called “Uninstall.”
- Once the driver is uninstalled, you should perform a restart. Then, your operating system will install the audio driver automatically.
- However, for some users, that doesn’t work as expected. If you face such a situation, you will have to download it manually through the manufacturer’s website. For many users, that can be a tiresome task.
Update the drivers automatically using Driver Easy (a professional software to update drivers easily)
Many of us don’t have any time to waste on finding drivers through various websites. So, it would be better if we have a convenient, fast, and reliable way to download drivers.
This is when a program like Driver Easy comes to play. This special software can download drivers automatically, and the best part is that it has a free version.
Driver Easy scans your PC for the outdated drivers. Then, it directly downloads the respective drivers from respective official websites. Thanks to this smart and efficient functionality, Driver Easy doesn’t download malware or wrong drivers.
If you go for its Pro version, you can download all the drivers in two clicks. With that said, let’s see how to download drivers using Driver Easy.
- First, download Driver Easy and get it installed on your PC.
- Then, you should launch it to see the home screen. On that, you should see a button called “Scan Now.” Then Driver Easy will scan the PC for outdated or corrupted drivers.
- Now, please click on the option called “Update,” which is next to the flagged audio driver. Once the driver is downloaded, you can simply install it manually. This can be done using the free version of Driver Easy.
- However, if you want to update all the drivers automatically with two clicks, go for the Pro version. Then, all you should do is to click on the button labeled “Update All.”
So, that’s what you should do if you see the “Failed To Play Test Tone” error on your PC. Good luck!