Troubleshooting an Epson printer is necessary for many users on many occasions. However, only some of them know the proper troubleshooting methods for Epson printers.
If you have bought a new Epson printer, the content of this article would be valuable for you.
Troubleshooting an Epson Printer When It is Not Printing
It’s so frustrating when you need to print something quickly, but your Epson printer isn’t producing the expected results. Epson printers might suddenly cease printing.
There are various technical reasons why this might apply to any printer, not just Epson’s. Users of printers may experience difficulty printing all of a sudden.
There might be a number of reasons for the printer’s malfunction. The majority of these issues can be readily resolved by the end user.
Epson Printers Troubleshooting Guide – How to Fix Your Printer?
In some cases, your Epson printer can become faulty as a result of a very small glitch. So, in this Epson printer’s troubleshooting guide, we intend to address such situations as well.
As a beginning, mentioned below are some of the basic steps to take before moving into advanced options.
- Check if your Epson printer is switched on.
- Check if there is a solid connection between the printer and the computer.
- Make sure that your ink cartridge is not run out.
- Make sure that the ink cartridge is installed correctly.
- Check if the papers are inserted correctly in the printer tray and if they are not jammed.
- Check if the printer gives an error message.
- Clean your printer’s printhead.
Now, in this Epson printer troubleshooting guide, we will explain the solutions one by one.
Besides, click to learn everything about the best Delta 3D Printer for faster/precise printing.
Solution 1: Clean the Printhead Properly As a Measure of Troubleshooting an Epson Printer
The first solution to try in this Epson printer troubleshooting guide is cleaning the printer head. In this case, you should follow the steps below, depending on your operating system.
For Windows OS
- Leave fresh white paper in the printer’s tray.
- Go to the control panel.
- Go to the option called Devices and Printers.
- Locate the faulty Epson printer and right-click on it.
- Select Printing Preferences.
- Now, click on the option called Maintenance.
- Then, click on the option called Head Cleaning.
- After that, click on the option called Start.
- Just follow the instructions on the screen.
- Just keep one piece of fresh paper in your printer’s tray.
- Navigate to the desktop.
- Go to Apple Menu and choose System Preferences.
- Choose Printer and Scanners.
- Go to the Printer and then go to Options & Supplies.
- Now, click Utility and click on Open Printer Utility.
- After that, click on the option called Head Cleaning.
Solution 2: Set It As the Default Printer
There can be more than one printer installed on your PC. So, your computer will choose one as its default printer. The prints are always sent to the default printer unless you specify it during each print process.
So, setting your Epson printer as the default is the solution. Let’s see how to do that.
- Go to Start Menu. Then, click on the option called Setting.
- Go to Printers and Scanners and choose Devices.
- After that, select printers and scanners.
- Select the Epson Printer and go to Manage.
- Select Set as Default.
Now, try to print something and see what happens.
Solution 3: Check the Printer’s Ink Cartridge
When it comes to Epson printers troubleshooting, it is good to check the printer’s cartridges as well. You can check it through the default tool provided by Epson.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Go to Device and Printer.
- Then, right-click on the printer labeled Epson.
- Go to Printing Preferences.
- Go to Maintenance.
- Choose Epson Status Monitor 3.
- After that, you can check the level of ink.
- If the ink levels are low, refill them or go for new ones.
Solution 4: Buy New Ink Cartridges
The Epson printer may stop operating and printing if you continue to use an outdated ink cartridge. This can happen in your printer for an extended length of time.
Many individuals try to replace their old ink cartridges, but this isn’t always a good idea for their printers.
Solution 5: Uninstall and Reinstall the Printer
As you can understand, improper installation may be the cause for your Epson printer to stop functioning. All you need is to remove the faulty Epson printer driver and reinstall it.
Follow the instructions indicated below to do that.
- First, you should go to your Control Panel and select programs. After that, you can go to Programs and Features.
- Then, you should perform right-click on the printer. Select Uninstall.
- After that, just turn off the printer and the computer.
- You can then disconnect your printer from the PC. Wait for a couple of minutes.
- After that, you should restart the PC. Then, restart the printer.
- Now, you should connect the printer to the PC.
- Then, reinstall the driver.
That should work as Epson printers troubleshooting method. Mentioned below are the steps to install your printer on different platforms.
- Go to Start and choose Settings.
- Then, go to Select Devices.
- Go to Printers and Scanners.
- Go to Add a Printer or Scanner.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
- Download the correct version of the Epson driver for macOS.
- Click on Continue and then select Agree.
- Select the option called Install.
- You will see a popup menu. Just provide the login password of your Mac.
When troubleshooting an Epson printer, the above method shows greater effectiveness.
Solution 6: Find the Correct Port
As the next Epson printer troubleshooting method, check if the printer is installed through the correct port.
- Go to Control Panel > Device and Printer.
- Select the printer and right-click. Then select Printer Properties.
- Select Port > Add Port.
- Choose its TCP/IP Port and go to New Port….
- Choose Next > Finish.
- Hit Apply.
- Restart the printer as well as the printer.
This method might work if the problem is related to the port.
Solution 7: Update the Drivers
Outdated printer drivers can often cause various errors. If that’s the case, just update the driver and see if it is fixed.
- Start > Device Manager
- Click on the Printer to open it.
- Right-click on the printer.
- Choose Update Driver and select Search Automatically….
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Solution 8: Wait Until the Printer Resumes
Sometimes, patience itself can fix many errors. Just check if there are any notifications or waiting messages on the desktop (taskbar). Also, check if the printer displays a strange signal. Just wait for about 5 minutes for the printer to be ready.
Solution 9: Clear the Longer Printing Queues
If none of the Epson printer troubleshooting methods have worked, check the printing queues and clear them. High-quality, heavy workload might take time to process. So, if you have long printing queues, just clear them and restart the jobs.
- Hit Window + R together.
- Enter the text services.msc.
- Go to the Printer Spooler, then right-click on it.
- Hit Stop.
- Open File Explorer.
- Copy and paste this address on its address bar.
- Delete the files in that folder and choose Print Spooler Properties.
- Right-click on that printer spooler and select “Start.”
Other Issues with Epson Printer
Here are some other problems associated with Epson Printer.
No Black Ink
If your Epson printer doesn’t print black ink, it can be due to an issue associated with the cartridge/printhead. So, if it doesn’t work properly, follow the steps below.
● Check the Cartridge
Your printer can print improperly due to faulty cartridges. To fix it, follow these steps.
- Take the black cartridge out.
- Place it again properly and see if it works.
● Check Its Ink Status
- Perform a double-click on the Epson Printer.
- Go to Tools.
- Select Epson Status Monitor 3.
- Check if it has enough black ink.
● Clean the Cartridge
Just take the cartridge out and clean it to expect better functionality.
Issues with the Quality of the Output
In some cases, your Epson printer might deliver poor printouts. They can be blurry, smudged, have wrong colors, have no sharpness, etc. Mentioned below are the solutions to address such errors.
● Output is Blurred
If the printer output is blurred, you can try the following steps.
- Go to the menu of Epson and choose its main menu.
- Select the main menu and go to media type.
- Check if the settings for the paper are correct.
● Prints Have Gaps
Sometimes, your printer can give printouts with gaps. If you experience that, do the following.
- Choose Media Type in its main menu. Then, check for papers.
- You should also check the expiration date of the cartridge.
- Also, use the head cleaning utility to clean the printer head.
● Misaligned Prints
If you see misaligned prints, try the solutions below.
- Go to the settings of the printer.
- Choose Advanced Settings.
- Set the printer to print slowly.
● The Printer is Slower Than Usual
If you experience slowness in the printer, you can try the steps mentioned below.
- Perform a double-click on the Printer icon on your desktop.
- Choose Print Settings and go to Advance
- Then, set a suitable speed.
And those are the Epson printer troubleshooting methods.
Avoiding Problems Related to Epson Printers
Here are some important things to consider in order to avoid potential issues related to the printer.
- Change its ink cartridge in a timely manner.
- Check if the print head is clean all the time.
- Clean the printer at least once a month.
- Never use the wrong material to print.
- Provide adequate power supply.
1. How can I check the ink levels in my Epson printer?
To check the ink levels in your Epson printer, you can usually access the ink status utility through the printer software or control panel. Alternatively, some printers have a built-in ink level indicator on the device itself.
2. Can I use third-party ink cartridges with my Epson printer?
While third-party ink cartridges may be cheaper, it is recommended to use genuine Epson cartridges. Third-party cartridges may not provide the same print quality and can potentially cause compatibility issues or damage to the printer.
3. Why am I experiencing slow printing speeds with my Epson printer?
Slow printing speeds can be caused by various factors, including large print files, high print quality settings, or connectivity issues. Ensure that you have sufficient memory allocated to the printer and consider optimizing the print settings for faster output.
4. What should I do if my Epson printer displays an error message?
When faced with an error message on your Epson printer, note down the specific error code or message and consult the user manual or Epson’s support resources. They will provide detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot and resolve the specific error.
5. How often should I clean the printhead of my Epson printer?
The frequency of printhead cleaning depends on your usage and print quality requirements. As a general guideline, it is recommended to perform printhead cleaning when you notice print quality issues such as streaks, lines, or faded prints.
So, that’s our Epson printer’s troubleshooting guide. Do you have any other doubts about Epson printer troubleshooting? If so, just let us know. We will answer your queries at our earliest convenience.