Looking to send someone a message on TikTok but don’t know how to DM people on TikTok. We have got you covered with this article!
TikTok has achieved unprecedented growth, unlike any other social networking site! People adore the new notion of short-timed entertainment, which can provide them with a wide range of feelings, such as happiness and joy, in 15-30 seconds.
As the popularity of short clips grew, other social networking sites added a “similar” function in their applications.
However, at its core, TikTok is just a social networking platform, and thus the primary motivation for its creation was to interact and converse with users you know as well as do not know. And if you’ve ever wondered how to DM someone on TikTok, today is your lucky day.
Restrictions to Send/Receive DMs On TikTok
TikTok users may send or receive direct messages using the application. However, there are some restrictions as to who may send or receive DMs.
Direct messaging is a regular phenomenon on social networking sites ranging from Instagram and Snapchat, or even Facebook has its very own Messaging service dedicated to DMs.
TikTok enables users to share direct messages (DMs) with other users, much like every other social networking site. Nevertheless, delivering any direct message using TikTok differs from other apps.
For example, TikTok members under the age of 16 are not permitted to communicate and exchange direct messages with all other users. This limitation was put in place to safeguard youngsters, who make up the majority of TikTok’s members.
TikTok users of every age could send texts to everyone else until 2020; however, the site has prohibited users under the age of 16 from using the DM functionality.
When you join the app, you will then be prompted to enter your birthday, which will decide whether you may use the direct message feature on TikTok.
How to DM Someone on TikTok?
We have included easy, step-by-step instructions for how to DM people on TikTok. But first, let us distinguish between the two basic methods for messaging another user on the app.
If you wish to communicate with somebody on TikTok, you may do it from your computer and their application. However, the application is far faster than the PC version; therefore, you should probably use it. This is how to utilize the app’s Direct Messaging function.
PS: let’s learn more about how to combine two videos on TikTok.
The First Method
- Launch the TikTok application. After logging in, hit the Inbox symbol at the bottom of the page.
- After that, you will be able to access your network of friends. Your TikTok friends are the individuals you follow and also who follow you back. Click the direct messaging icon (airplane symbol) on the upper right side of the application.
- Choose the individual with whom you wish to speak. You may now write them a direct message using the TikTok app.
Besides, if you wonder, can you see who views your TikToks? This guide you should check out.
The Second Method
- If you wish to communicate with a TikTok member but can not locate them on your friend list, you may go to that user’s profile instead and contact them there.
- Navigate to the user profile of the individual to whom you wish to deliver a message. In case you are not already following this individual, you will notice a Follow option beneath their profile photo.
- You cannot send a direct message to any user with whom you are not friends. Before you may start sending messages to one another, you must first follow them and make sure they follow you. You will, however, be capable of communicating with them if you happen to be friends with them.
- Navigate to the person’s profile after you have become friends with them. You may now write a direct message to that person if the Message option is visible on their profile.
The Third Method
- You may now deliver a direct message to some other user from your desktop rather than the application. Simply return to TikTok, then tap the airplane symbol once again.
- Choose the user to whom you want to write a direct message, and then click Send.
- However, some functionalities, such as GIFs, are not supported via Direct Messages through a desktop. You will receive a notice stating that this kind of communication is not permitted, so you must install the TikTok application on your smartphone instead.
- As with the application edition, you can only exchange direct messages with those already following you.
Also, we will discuss how to blow up on TikTok. If you are trying to gain fame and desire to become popular on Tiktok, read carefully.
5 Tips for Sending TikTok Direct Messages
The above section was about how to DM someone on TikTok, but since the concept of DMing on TikTok is slightly different from the users, you should keep a few things in mind.
By the way, let’s figure out how to change the phone number on TikTok, as well as how to remove a phone number from a TikTok account with ease.
1. First, Make Friends.
It is a great thing to really get to know somebody before DMing them on TikTok. They may restrict their texts to only the friends on their list, and in such a situation, you would have to be one of their friends prior to you sending the message.
Therefore, if you wish to DM somebody you do not know, start by commenting on those users’ posts, reacting to their videos, or dueting them!
Although they might have their direct messages accessible to everyone, building this relationship will increase the likelihood that they will know your identity and be open as well as react to the message you send.
In addition, if you wonder how to block a sound on TikTok, the best approach is to select “Not Interested.” You can do it with the simple steps listed here.
2. Make Use of a Real Phone Number
When learning how to DM people on TikTok, you should know that you will be unable to send DMs on TikTok unless you have a legitimate phone number associated with your profile.
This is a security function of TikTok, so ensure that your profile is correctly set up. Furthermore, if you are ever accidentally logged off, you may re-enter your account using that mobile number.
3. Limit Who Can Direct Message You
Recall how we stated that everyone could manage who may send them texts by selecting their DM preferences. That also applies to your account.
You can change your DM settings to whatever you like, meaning that you will have the upper hand over who will reach out to you on TikTok. This is one of the more wonderful features of the app.
To modify your DM preferences, navigate to your account and then press the three dots on the upper right-hand side. Choose Privacy from the menu, and then select Who can send me direct messages? Decide between everyone, friends, and no one at this stage.
There is no need to worry since this setting can be changed whenever you wish. So, in case you want to limit or broaden the criteria of people who can DM you, just go back and adjust accordingly.
4. Send Them Content That You Think Them Will Like.
The coolest feature of TikTok’s Direct messages is the ease with which you may exchange videos with your contacts. Send them posts they would like to see, whether it be a funny video, anything you find especially intriguing, or a service or brand you believe they will like.
Perhaps you would like to challenge the other user to a new dancing or fashion trend. Or perhaps you simply wish to share the most recent track from your beloved musician.
Maybe you would like to share posts from a company you know they enjoy. In any case, be certain that you are sending them content that they will appreciate.
5. Maintain Consistency While Avoiding Spam
Lastly, make it a habit to DM your contacts on TikTok on a regular basis. This is the cornerstone for developing great relationships, whether it is delivering them fresh information or simply keeping in touch with them on a regular basis.
Simultaneously time, you do not want to overload and bombard the other user with too many texts. What is the limit of what is considered excessive when it comes to messaging?
Sadly, there is not a one-size-fits-all response to that. It all depends on how you feel about this person. If it is a close friend, you could definitely send them texts on a daily basis.
If you are communicating with a prospective customer or an acquaintance you made through the application, you should consider sending them texts less regularly.
Why Am I Unable to DM Anyone on TikTok?
You may be unable to DM people on the TikTok application if you happen to be under the age of 16 or if you do not follow one another, which means the two of you have to be mutual followers.
Aside from the aforementioned two primary reasons, a network failure may be preventing you from texting individuals on TikTok. In such a situation, you have no choice but to approach the TikTok customer service team. In most cases, the problem is addressed within a couple of hours, so you do not have to stress about it.
And if you want to know how to hide chat on TikTok live, which is very annoying, then learn how to easily hide the chats that appear on your TikTok live screen.
1. Can I send a DM to someone who doesn’t follow me back on TikTok?
Yes, you can send a DM to a user who doesn’t follow you back by using the “Send Message” option in the chat window.
2. How can I mention someone in a DM on TikTok?
To mention someone in a DM, use the “@” symbol followed by their username. This will notify the user that you’ve mentioned them in the conversation.
3. Can I react to DMs on TikTok?
Yes, you can react to DMs on TikTok by tapping and holding on the message bubble. This reveals reaction options such as “Like,” “Heart,” and “Reply.”
4. How do I delete a message in TikTok’s messaging feature?
To delete a message, swipe left on the message in the chat window and tap on the trash bin icon.
5. What should I do if I receive inappropriate content in my DMs on TikTok?
If you encounter inappropriate content in your DMs, report it by tapping on the three dots (ellipsis) icon and selecting the “Report” option.
TikTok’s recent meteoric rise, while exciting, raises certain issues. The company has strong community guidelines because most of the application’s users are relatively young people, usually underage adolescents.
Aside from being unable to DM someone who doesn’t follow you or you don’t follow back, you may also prevent any user from writing an improper message.
To do so, navigate to that chat, tap on the three dots, and afterward select “Report” and “Block.” This will forward the disputed text to moderators for evaluation and prohibit the user from viewing your profile.
In this article, we have thoroughly explained how to DM people on TikTok so that if you are a newcomer to the app, you should have no confusion about how to contact people on the app.