Are you reading this article because you are bothered by 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG?
If yes, this article comprises the answers to that question. So you may learn how to address the issue without worrying anymore.
In simplest terms, DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG is a pretty common error related to DirectX in your Windows Operating System.
Well, this error can appear along with some other text. It may read, “Directx function “GetDeviceRemoveRreason” failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG.”
Otherwise, the same error can be displayed with the error code 0x887a0006. This specific error tends to appear particularly when you play games. Immediately after the appearance of this 0x887a0006 error, the respective game will crash.
And it is an annoying experience. But you shouldn’t worry – below are the solutions you can try.
PS: here are the top solutions to fix the HDMI port not working issue you should check out.
Solution 1: Update the Graphics Card Drives
Did you know that missing or outdated video card drivers can cause 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG? The truth is that it is one of the major causes of this error.
So, if you experience DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG upon launching a game, be sure that you check the graphics card’s drivers. You should immediately fix it if it is not up-to-date by downloading the latest, most appropriate drivers.
With that said, there are two main ways to update the graphics. They are; the manual method and the automatic method. In the below section, let’s take a look at both of those options and proceed.
● Manual Method
The manual method, of course, is pretty challenging and time-consuming compared to the automatic method. It best suits those with enough patience and experience in handling driver updates.
As per this method, you should visit the manufacturer’s official website and search for the respective driver. Then, download the driver and install it on the faulty computer where 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG is present.
In this case, you should be very careful in choosing the correct driver from the correct website. Otherwise, you may download the old, wrong, or incompatible driver.
If not, you may even download malware mistakenly. That will only worsen the case. So, if you are a novice or don’t have enough time, just look for the automatic method.
● Automatic Method
Those with little or no time to waste can consider an automatic method the best. You will seek the assistance of a special Driver Easy tool in this method.
Driver Easy is a powerful tool that can recognize your system easily. It can find the correct drivers with ease from the official manufacturer. This tool will never leave any room for error in searching for drivers.
The best thing about this tool is that it automates the entire process. To download and install drivers, you can simply use a single-click operation. It doesn’t want you to know the technical specifications of the PC or the drivers.
When it comes to Driver Easy, it gives you two main options; the Free version and the Pro version. Even the free version lets you download drivers from official sites, but one by one.
On the other hand, the pro version downloads all the drivers at once with a single click. So you can decide which option to use.
Mentioned Below Are the Steps to Update Drivers Using Driver Easy.
- First, download Driver Easy on your PC and install it.
- You can launch Driver Easy to see its main interface. Then, click on the option called “Scan Now.” After that, Driver Easy will perform a scan of the PC. Then, it will look for potential errors related to drivers.
- Now, you should click on the option called “Update.” It is located next to the flagged graphics card. Driver Easy will download the correct, most recent version of the driver. Please note that even the free version of Driver Easy will do this.
- However, if you want to update all drivers at once, go for the Pro version. That will let you download and install drivers with a single-click operation. To do that, click on “Update All.”
- Once the update is done, restart the PC, and the changes will be applied.
Besides, if you wonder how to fix the blue screen dxgkrnl.sys error, this post will tell you what causes this issue and how you can resolve it.
Solution 2: If the CPU Is Overclocked, Stop It
Because of the increased CPU speed, your applications or games may crash. As a result, you may get a 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG message.
So, if you have already overclocked the CPU, you will have to reduce the clock speed. If, on the other hand, you haven’t overclocked your CPU, you can skip this solution.
- First, you should perform a restart on your PC. You can then enter BIOS. That can be done by pressing the F2 or Delete keys. That should be done when your manufacturer’s logo appears on the screen.
- Now, select Advanced Chipset Features and go to CPU Multiplier. That appears in the drop-down menu.
- As the final step, enter the command Restore Default Settings into the text box.
- You can then press F10 to save the settings and exit BIOS.
Please remember that BIOS settings may vary from one system to another. So, you should read the instructions on the screen when proceeding.
Once you have done that, run the game again after restarting your computer, so it should work now. That means the 0x887a0006 issue is gone.
Solution 3: Update your PC’s DirectX
Well, 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG occurs because of the result of the DirectX feature on your computer. Because of that, you can try to update DirectX and see if you can fix the 0x887a0006 error.
If you are unsure about doing it, please follow the steps below for guidance.
- First, you should launch DirectX Diagnostic Tool on your PC. You can do that by entering “dxdiag” in the Run window and pressing Enter to launch it.
Please note that you’ll see a confirmation dialog box when you open DirectX Diagnostic Tool for the first time. All you need is to say “Yes” to that.
- Now, in the System Information section of the System tab, you’ll see what DirectX version you are running.
If you have Windows 11/10/8/8.1, you can update your operating system to install the most recent DirectX version.
However, the approach differs for Windows 7, Vista, and XP. In that case, you can access the Microsoft website to obtain the necessary instructions.
Solution 4: Adding a Registry Key
- To open Search, press Windows + S on your keyboard. Then, in the search box, type registry and select Registry Editor APP from the results list.
- Navigation to the following location is required in this step. Graphics Drivers can be found under Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Then, choose SYSTEM and go to CurrentControlSet. Finally, go to Control.
- Now, check if the GraphicsDrivers folder has been checked before proceeding. You should now proceed to create a new registry key. Start by right-clicking any empty area in the right pane. Then, go to New and select QWORD (64-bit) from the context menu.
Choose New and DWORD (32-bit) if your system runs on a 32-bit OS.
- Then, you should specify the name TdrLevel for the new key.
- Now, you should double-click TdrLevel to make some changes.
- Set the value of the date to zero (0) in the Value date field.
- Also, “Hexadecimal” should be selected as the base option.
- Now, hit “OK” and restart the PC. Check if the 0x887a0006 error is gone.
Solution 5: Roll-back Drivers
The following procedure can be used to restore previous versions of the driver if the current version is corrupt.
- First, you should go to the Device Manager. Just enter the text Device Manager in the search box so you can do that.
- Now, select the graphics card that you are currently using from the list of Display adapters.
- After that, right-click on it and choose Properties.
- Now, you can navigate to the “Driver.”
- Select the option called “Roll back driver.” After that, please select a reason from the drop-down menu that appears and click Yes to complete it.
Solution 6: Deactivate the Sound Card
Sometimes, you can fix the 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error by deactivating the sound card. Here’s how to do that.
- Open Device Manager and select Sound, Video, and Audio Devices from the drop-down menu.
- Disable your sound card device by selecting it from the context menu of the right-click menu.
- Check to see if the problem continues.
- If not, you can even physically unplug your sound card from your computer if possible.
Solution 7: Check Your RAM Sticks
If you have multiple RAM cards installed and one is faulty, 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG can occur. So, check that by unplugging each stick.
1. What causes the 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error?
It can be caused by several factors such as outdated or corrupt graphics drivers, overheating, or the GPU being unable to cope with high demand.
2. Can I prevent the 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error?
Yes, maintaining good PC practices and regularly updating your software can prevent this error.
3. Does the 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error only affect gamers?
No, it can affect any user but it is more common in gamers due to the high demand placed on the GPU by modern games.
4. What should I do when I see the 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error?
You can try restarting your system, updating your graphics driver, adjusting your graphics settings, reinstalling your graphics driver, or checking for Windows updates.
5. Will replacing my GPU solve the 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error?
While this could solve the problem, it is advisable to try the other solutions mentioned above first, as these are less drastic measures.
The 0x887a0006 DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG can be annoying, especially when you’re in the middle of something exciting. But with a little bit of tech know-how, it’s a problem you can solve. So next time this error pops up, don’t panic. You’ve got the tools to deal with it.