Windows has been the best but not free from flaws, and one such flaw gets exhibited in the form of the default gateway not available error.
This issue has been reported most by Windows 10 users. There can be many reasons for it, and what you would want the most is solutions for them.
Aiming at that, we dedicate this article to you, where we provide you with the 11 best fixes when you see that the default gateway is not available. Read on.
Understanding the default gateway
The main purpose of a default gateway is that it facilitates communication between two devices operating in different network zones. So basically, it acts like an access point that is used by any PC for sending information to any other PC which is running in another network zone.
The absence of the configuration of any default gateway on any PC implies that there exists no intermediary pathway connecting the internet and the local area network. This also means that the devices working in one network zone will not be able to communicate with the devices in another network zone.
The best solution to try when the default gateway is not available
Following is a list of the methods that you can try to get the default gateway to work.
Besides, click here to figure out how to fix the 0x80072f8f error on Windows.
1. Update the drivers of the Network Adapter to fix ‘Default Gateway Not Available’
Open Device Manager on the PC. Select the option Network Adapters. Choose your network and then hit right-click over it. In the next menu, select the option Update Driver Software.
Select the option ‘Search automatically for updated driver software.’ Now allows Windows to look for available updates for the system software and the network drivers.
Many times it happens that when searched, Windows fails to find any recent updates, but this is not the case in reality. The latest version might surely be there.
You should visit the official website of the manufacturer of the network adapter that you have on the PC. You can check this on the Download page and install it if any update is available.
One thing you have to ensure while the update is getting downloaded is a smooth internet connection. If it’s unstable, then you have to deal with it.
1. Search Troubleshooting and then select the option Windows Troubleshooter.
2. Click Network and Internet. Hit the option Internet connections.
3. Click on Next, and then the last option to select is Troubleshoot my Internet Connection.
4. Follow the instructions as they appear on the screen.
5. The internet connection will become better now.
If you do not want to take this risk, then you can download that update on any other PC and then transfer it to the target PC with the help of a USB or DVD.
2. Uninstall the drivers of the network adapter to fix ‘Default Gateway Not Available’
This is another solution that you can try to fix the faulty drivers and prevent them from causing the problem of the default gateway not being available. This method is going to be useful for users of the Windows 8 system.
Don’t get worried as you might think that this way you would lose the drivers forever. That’s not going to be the case, as Windows will later detect the adapters soon after the system reboots. It will then reinstall them into the PC.
Look for Device Manager and then open it. Open the option of Network adapters. Find your adapter and then right-click over it. Hit on Uninstall and then confirm it to bring the process into action.
Restart the PC. The Windows will detect the adapter again if you want to reconnect. Then it will reinstall the drivers of that adapter into the PC.
By the way, if you are facing the issues of Windows has detected an IP address conflict or the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG, click to fix them now.
3. Disable the feature of power conservation to fix ‘Default Gateway Not Available’
The recent Windows versions have a power saver feature that conserves the battery of the PC by disabling some drivers on it. However, this feature may start malfunctioning and thereby cause the default gateway to be not an available error by permanently disabling the drivers.
You can disable this feature by following these steps:
1. Press the Windows+R keys to open the Run prompt.
2. Enter ‘devmgmt.msc‘. Click Enter.
3. Click twice on the option of Network Adapter present in the drop list.
4. Find the name of your driver and then right-click on it. Click Properties now.
5. Hit the tab Power Management. Tick off the option Allows the computer to turn off this device to conserve power.
4. Disable the power-saving mode of the wireless adapter to fix ‘Default Gateway Not Available’
You can change the power settings of the wireless adapter on Windows 10, which will probably fix the default gateway, not available error, as many users have claimed. Follow the given steps to do so:
1. Press the Windows+S keys. Search for power options. In the menu that appears, click on Power Options.
2. Now, the next window will look at your plan. From there, click on the option of Change plan settings.
3. Select the option of Change advanced power settings next.
4. Navigate and find the option of Wireless Adapter Settings. Change the setting to Maximum Performance.
5. Now hit the option of Apply. Click OK to save the changes.
5. Change the wireless router’s channel
Sometimes it happens that the wireless channel and the wireless adapters with dual-band catch problems and then cause the error of the default gateway is not available. You can fix this particular issue by accessing the wireless router. Then you will change the automatic value of its channel by entering a new one.
Mostly, the users claimed that they changed the channel to six, and this resolved the issue altogether. However, we would suggest you try the other channels too. For better help on this issue, read through the manual provided with your router.
Another option apart from channel changing suggested by a lot of users is changing the encryption method. The WPA-WPA 2 encryption worked for a lot of people, and you should also give it a try. If this fails to give the desired results, then try the other encryption methods too.
Remember that the encryption methods can be outdated too, and you might end up having incomplete protection. So keep the other fixes in hand.
6. Set a new frequency for the wireless router
The recent routers have a frequency of 5 GHz, but if the present adapter is an old one, then it might not support it. In this case, you would need to change the frequency of your router to 2.4 GHz. Many users gave thumbs up to this method for solving the default gateway not available problem.
7. Install the latest version of the Ethernet driver
The Windows 10 PC might be facing the gateway error because of an outdated Ethernet driver, so to get rid of it, you must install its updated and latest version.
To do so, go to the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard and then search for the latest driver suitable for the device. Once downloaded, finish the installation process. This might probably get fixed if the default gateway is not available.
A thing to note is that you should be careful during this process as downloading new drivers can potentially harm your system, either permanently or significantly. Manual downloading should always be done with the necessary precautions.
8. Remove the McAfee antivirus to fix ‘Default Gateway Not Available’
Sometimes the antivirus programs also cause an interruption in the network configurations. McAfee users have reported such a problem most often. We recommend you remove or uninstall the antivirus from the PC, which might fix the issue.
Open the Control Panel of the device. Select the option Programs and then click Programs and Features. You will see the active McAfee programs here and then uninstall all of them completely. You can also press the Windows+R keys and select Add & Remove Programs. Enter the command appwiz.cpl into the Run box.
It might happen that the removal of antivirus programs may not be complete as the registry entries or some files might remain. To remove this possibility, we suggest you get help from any third-party app the removal.
Once you delete the antivirus software, your PC will then be safeguarded by the Windows Defender. However, you can put any other antivirus on the job instead.
9. Try the netshell resetting command
Resetting the IP/TCP of the system has been reported by many users as a probable solution of the default gateway not available problem. To begin with it, you must first launch the Command prompt and then enter the reset command of IP.
Follow the steps below:
1. Run the Command Prompt as the administrator. Do this by pressing the Windows+X keys and then selecting the Command Prompt (Admin) in the popped menu.
2. Once the Command Prompt opens, enter the command nets hint ip reset. Hit Enter.
3. Once you are done with the process, close the Command Prompt. Restart the PC.
10. Change the mode of wireless to 802.11g to fix ‘Default Gateway Not Available’
This can be another great fix to try when the default gateway is not available, as it is easy to do. You have to change your wireless mode to 802.1g from the previous 802.11g/b. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Open the Network Connections window by pressing the Windows+X keys. Select the apt option in the popped pane.
2. Navigate and find your network adapter, and then right-click on it. Select the option of Properties in the menu.
3. Hit the button Configure.
4. Hit the tab Advanced. Click Wireless mode. Choose 802.11g on that menu.
Save the changes and then see if that solved your problem.
11. Disable the feature of Auto Log-on
This feature of Auto Log-on is a part of Windows 8, and its users have called it out as being the reason for the default gateway not available error.
This feature auto launches upon opening the computer and starts running the User account that was active before the last shutdown of the PC.
There are no proper instructional guidelines to disable this feature. However, what you can do is assign a password for all the active accounts on the PC.
This will prevent the Auto Log-on from getting auto-activated and thereby logging in to the accounts themselves.
If you feel that settings passwords are a risky affair, we advise you to create simple and short passwords that you can remember easily. You may also set password hints for convenience.
All this will be even easier if you choose Microsoft Accounts rather than Local Accounts, as password setting gets more convenient here with a recovery option through an e-mail account.
We hope that the solutions that we provided you to get rid of the problem of the default gateway not being available will prove to be very useful.
Ascertain the cause of the issue is important, and this article will give you a fair idea of that. Just pick a solution that serves the purpose for you and gets you going.