Getting a new smartphone is always exciting! However, moving all your personal data from your old device can be a tedious process. In this guide, we’ll walk through the best methods to quickly and seamlessly transfer your contacts, photos, apps and more between Android phones.
When transitioning to a new Android device, you’ll want to move over your:
- Text messages
- Photos and videos
- Apps and app data
- Call logs
- Browser data
- WiFi passwords
The easiest way to transfer all this information is wirelessly over a local network. This prevents the need for cables and adapters.
Follow along as we dive into how to securely move your data to a new Android phone in just minutes!
Using CLONEit App to Transfer Data Between Android Phones
CLONEit is one of the most popular Android data transfer apps, with over 5 million downloads. Here’s an overview of using CLONEit:
- Simple wireless transfer between Android devices
- Transfers many data types including contacts, messages, apps, photos, videos and more
- Free app available on Google Play Store
- Fast transfer speeds up to 20MB/s
- Works between any two Android devices
- Requires Android 2.2 or higher
- Both devices must be on same WiFi network
- Easy to set up and use
- No cables required
- Encrypted data transfer for security
- Only works for Android to Android
- WiFi connection needed
- Large transfers can be time consuming
Step-by-Step Guide to Using CLONEit
Follow these steps to use CLONEit for quickly transferring data between your Android devices:
- Download and install CLONEit app on both Android phones. Ensure both phones are connected to the same WiFi network.
- On new phone, enable “Unknown Sources” in Settings > Security. Also enable “Auto Install” in Settings > Accessibility.
- Open CLONEit app on both devices. Set one as “Receiver” and the other as “Sender“.
- Tap on old device name from Receiver phone’s radar screen. Allow connection when prompt appears.
- Scan will detect all transferable data. Select data types to transfer.
- Verify transfer details and click “Start” to begin data transfer between devices.
- Keep phones on WiFi throughout the process. Transfer progress can be tracked.
- Once completed, all selected data will be available on your new Android phone.
That’s it! CLONEit makes it relatively straightforward to wirelessly transfer your data to a new Android device.
Using Dr.Fone – Phone Transfer As an Alternative
Dr.Fone – Phone Transfer is a desktop app for Windows and Mac. It provides a simple alternative to CLONEit for Android to Android transfers.
- Supports Android to Android and cross-platform transfers
- Transfers all major data types
- Simple click-to-transfer user interface
- No WiFi required, uses USB cables
- Works with 8000+ Android device models
- Also supports iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
- Very easy to use
- Allows Android to iOS transfer
- Wide device compatibility
- Advanced transfer options
- Must use computer and USB cables
- Paid software with subscription
Step-by-Step Instructions for Dr.Fone – Phone Transfer
Follow these steps to use Dr.Fone to copy your data from an old Android phone to a new device:
- Download and install Dr.Fone on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Connect both Android phones to computer using USB cables.
- Launch Dr.Fone and select Phone Transfer option.
- Phones will appear side-by-side on screen. Click Flip if needed to correct positioning.
- Select data types to transfer in middle menu. Click Start Transfer.
- Review transfer progress window. Wait for completion.
- Once finished, all selected data will be available on your new device!
As you can see, Dr.Fone makes Android to Android data transfer super simple, even for non-tech-savvy users.
Key Differences Between CLONEit and Dr.Fone
|Transfer method||Wireless over WiFi||Wired via USB cables|
|Platforms supported||Android to Android only||Android, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch|
|Transfer speed||Up to 20MB/s||Up to 35MB/s|
|Ease of use||Moderate, requires app installation on both devices||Very simple, click transfer button|
|Ideal for||Quick wireless Android to Android transfer||All data transfers including Android to iPhone and iPhone to Android|
Additional Tips for Seamless Data Transfer Between Android Phones
Follow these tips to ensure a smooth, successful data transfer between your devices:
- Back up old device data – Create a backup of your old phone’s data before transferring, in case anything gets lost or corrupted.
- Transfer over WiFi – Use a WiFi connection instead of mobile data for faster, uninterrupted transfers.
- Charge devices during transfer – Keep devices plugged in if battery running low, to avoid unexpected powering off.
- Close all running apps – Apps running in background can slow down transfer process.
- Check for transfer issues – Review your data after transfer completes to make sure everything copied correctly.
- Sign out of accounts on old device – Log out of social media, email, and other accounts on your old phone once transfer is done.
- Factory reset old device – Wipe all personal data off your old phone before disposal to protect your privacy.
- CLONEit and Dr.Fone enable quick wireless Android to Android data transfer.
- CLONEit is free but limited to Android devices only. Dr.Fone – Phone Transfer is paid but supports all platforms.
- For same-Android transfers, use CLONEit over WiFi. For Android to iPhone moves, use Dr.Fone with USB cables.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions provided in this guide for smooth data transfer.
- Charge devices, close background apps, transfer over WiFi for optimal results.
- Double check transferred data and factory reset old device when done.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is my data secure when transferring between Android phones?
A: Yes, CLONEit and Dr.Fone use encryption to keep your data secure during wireless/wired transfers.
Q: How long will my data transfer take?
A: It depends on amount of data, but expect anywhere from 10 minutes for contacts to 1 hour for large transfers.
Q: Can I transfer data from Android to iPhone?
A: Dr.Fone allows seamless data transfer between any Android and iOS device. CLONEit only works for Android phones.
Q: What types of data can be transferred?
A: Contacts, messages, apps, photos, videos, call logs, documents, browser data and more can be transferred.
Q: Do I need to root my Android phone to transfer data?
A: No rooting required! Both CLONEit and Dr.Fone work with non-rooted Android devices for easy data transfer.
Q: Is my data erased from the old phone during the transfer?
A: No, the data is only copied over. You should do a factory reset on your old device once the transfer is fully complete.
Q: What should I do if my device freezes during the transfer?
A: Force close the CLONEit/Dr.Fone app, restart your device, and resume the transfer process from the beginning.
Q: Is technical expertise required to transfer my data?
A: Not at all! The step-by-step instructions in this guide make it easy for anyone to transfer data between devices.