OpenGL error 1281 can occur out of nowhere when you play Minecraft. So, there is no shortage of individuals who look for a solid solution to overcome it.
If you fall into the same category and are looking for solutions, continue reading this article and fix the issue.
In general, OpenGL is a setting found in the Minecraft game for a specific purpose. It is there to make the game run faster without any hiccups in the midst of the game. The OpenGL sends a special set of commands to the GPU.
As per that command, the GPU will render only the graphics that are in the player’s direct view. In other words, the GPU renders the essential graphics only and thereby reduces the overall load on the GPU.
As per the default settings, OpenGL settings are activated on the system. As a result, the users will be able to experience a pretty smooth gaming experience. However, due to this very reason, players tend to experience the OpenGL error 1281 on their screen.
In general, this error can have connections with third-party variables and modules that are loaded on your system.
What Triggers OpenGL Error 1281?
Are you playing a modded version of Minecraft? If that is the case, you have a greater chance of experiencing this issue. Fully modded Minecraft may have some mod modules that can create some conflicts in the game.
As a result, the modded Minecraft version can end up giving OpenGL error 1281 more often than not. According to the information, the below-mentioned aspects can trigger OpenGL error 1281 while you play Minecraft.
PS: Get to know how to get rid of the rundll error.
Well, shaders are the graphics that can be imported by the user for their modded versions of the Minecraft game. If there are any faulty or corrupted shaders, the game can end up displaying OpenGL error 1281.
Basically, OptiFine is a third-party app that is mainly used to enhance gameplay. Also, it gives you better control over the game. If OptiFine doesn’t work as expected, it can eventually end up causing various errors in the game.
Also, it can malfunction if it fails to get updated. This can eventually lead to OpenGL error 1281.
● Version Control
If the shader and the forge version of the game don’t sync perfectly, you can experience OpenGL error 1281.
● Java Files
Some elements of Minecraft utilize Java in the game application. In general, all those Java elements are installed when you install the game. However, due to some reasons, those elements may not get installed.
In that case, you will end up experiencing various errors. By the way, what if you could not find or load main class, don’t worry. Click here for the top solutions.
Before we take a look at the solutions, you should ensure that you log in to an Administrator account. Otherwise, you may not be able to make those changes in the operating system. In addition to that, the computer must have an internet connection with good speed and enough data.
Top Solutions to Fix OpenGL Error 1281
Method 1: Get Rid of the Shaders to Fix ‘OpenGL Error 1281’
As we mentioned before, shaders for Minecraft are installed separately as add-ons. As a result of that, players can play on different terrains and settings for more excitement. In fact, those shades are more of mini-mods that can bring various changes to the game.
For instance, you can get a winter shader or a summer shader, depending on your preference. Those shaders use all the resources related to the application.
As a result, there is a huge possibility of conflicts with other mods in the game.
So, as a solution to OpenGL error 1281, you should disable the existing shaders. You can do it one by one, so the faulty one can be identified. You can start it by disabling the latest one that you install.
Likewise, you can go down and disable them one after the other. If necessary, you can even cut and paste those shaders to a different location. As a result, you can use them later on.
Besides, if you wonder is Voicemod safe, click to read more.
Method 2: Update the OptiFine to Fix ‘OpenGL Error 1281’
Previously we mentioned that OptiFine is a tool used to optimize the gaming experience of Minecraft. It ensures that the game runs faster and shows better performance.
Also, it increases the visual experience as well. It offers full support for HD textures and various other configurations that are required for modding. The users can get an FPS boost through this element.
In a way, OptiFine can be considered the driving force of the mods that are used in Minecraft. The mods will interface with each other with the assistance of OptiFine.
As per our research, we learned about several cases in which the outdated OptiFine is the culprit. In that case, the best way to address this issue is by updating the existing OptiFine.
You should check the current version of OptiFine first. If you find it to be an outdated version, you should perform an update.
To do that, you should go to their official website and download the latest version. Once the update is done, you should restart the computer and see if it works.
Method 3: Check for the Compatibility Issues
In most cases, those who have installed mods for Minecraft will experience the error more often than not. If you are using more than one mod module, the chances of experiencing the error are even greater. Also, if any module in the game fails to synchronize, errors, including OpenGL error 1281, can trigger.
So, you must double-check all the mods installed on the computer and check if their versions are compatible. If there is a mismatch between them, you should disable it first and relaunch the game. You can check the compatibility of those mods simply by visiting the website of the official developers.
Method 4: Manual Install the Java Packages
The Java file packages are required to run the Minecraft game smoothly. There is a group of Java files installed with the game installation. Due to some reason, however, the game may have corrupted or missing Java components.
As a matter of fact, the mods used in the game are designed based on Java. So, if the Java files are not installed properly on the computer, there can be various malfunctions. In other words, the absence of damage to the Java files can cause various errors in the game.
So, the best solution to address this issue is by installing the Java files manually on the computer. Then, you should restart the computer and relaunch the game. For many users, this method works perfectly.
So, let’s move to the steps to install Java and try to get this issue resolved.
- First, on your desktop, locate the icon labeled “This PC” and right-click on it.
- When you see the options on the popup menu, you should select the option called “Properties.”
- Now, you should locate the option called “System Type.” Then, you should check the type of operating system mentioned in front of it. If the type of operating system is 32-bit, you should download the 32-bit version of Java. If it is mentioned as 64-bit, you should download the compatible version for it.
- As the next step, you should extract the file you have downloaded (it can be 32- or 64-bit). Open the folder which is extracted and then copy the file version which is available.
- Now that the file is copied, you should launch Windows Explorer. To do that, you should press the “Windows” and “E” keys together. Then, you should navigate to the following directory.
C:\Program Files\Java (for 32-bit)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java (for 64-bit)
- Once you have done that, past the file which is already copied by you, and be sure to copy the name of the respective folder to which you have copied the file.
- You can now launch the Minecraft mod manager. Then, click on the option called “Edit Profile.” It can be found at the bottom of your screen.
- Underneath the Java Settings, you should search for the executable option. Then, you should replace the correct path.
- After completing all those steps, you should restart the computer. Then, you should launch Minecraft once again and see if it works. If the OpenGL Error 1281 issue is resolved, you are good to play the game. If the problem persists, you should move to the next step.
Method 5: Reinstall the Minecraft Game to Fix ‘OpenGL Error 1281’
If none of the above options have worked for you and you are still looking for a solution, try this one. In this case, you will have to reinstall the game and see if it works. However, this process will erase all the user data.
So, if you want those data back once you play the game, you should save them against the profile. If not, you should create a backup of the data. Moreover, you can copy the corresponding user data folder to any other location from the original path.
That said, mentioned below are the steps to follow and reinstall Minecraft on your PC.
- Launch the “Run” utility by pressing both “Windows” + “R” keys together. Then, enter the text called “appwiz.cpl.” Hit “Enter” or press “OK.”
- When you are in the application manager, you should locate Minecraft. Then, you should right-click on the respective icon and choose the option called “Uninstall.”
- If not, you can uninstall the game simply using the uninstaller in the directory. You must delete the mod files and temporary settings to complete the uninstallation successfully.
- Restart the computer and download the game once again through their official website.
That’s it. Per our experience, method 05 must fix OpenGL error 1281 even if all the other methods didn’t.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can outdated graphics drivers cause the OpenGL Error 1281 in Minecraft?
Yes, outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can lead to this error. Always ensure your graphics drivers are up-to-date.
- Is the OpenGL Error 1281 specific to Minecraft?
No, OpenGL errors can occur in other games or applications that utilize the OpenGL API. However, the solutions may vary.
- What role does Java play in fixing the OpenGL Error 1281?
Minecraft relies heavily on Java. An outdated or conflicting Java version can cause this error.
- Should I contact Minecraft support if I can’t fix the OpenGL Error 1281?
Yes, if all the recommended solutions fail, it’s advisable to contact Minecraft’s support team. They’re experienced in resolving such issues.
- Are there any risks to adjusting Minecraft’s video settings to fix the OpenGL Error 1281?
No significant risks exist, but changes can affect game performance. Always remember what you adjusted, so you can revert if necessary.
The OpenGL Error 1281 can be a nuisance for Minecraft players, but with the steps outlined above, you should be able to resolve it and get back to your gaming. Remember, the solutions vary depending on the exact cause of your problem, so don’t give up if the first solution doesn’t work.