If javaw.exe is missing on your PC, you should not panic at all. The truth is that many users tend to frustrate a lot after seeing such an issue. But in reality, you don’t have to. Instead, stay calm and go through this article.
We will explain what javaw.exe is and how to fix it if it is missing. There is no shortage of factors that can contribute to this issue, and we intend to address them.
An Introduction to Javaw.exe
Before we go into the solutions section, let’s learn more about this element and be knowledgeable. In simplest terms, Javaw is considered to be an executable file.
It is essential to a specific runtime environment created with Oracle Java. It is commonly known as JRE (the shortened form of Java Runtime Environment).
The main purpose of javaw.exe is to launch the Java programs included in your system. That includes JAR files as well. In general, both javaw.exe and java.exe are similar elements. However, the former doesn’t have a separate console window.
With that said, some Windows users experience a specific error message related to this aspect. They say they experience this error when a Java application is launched.
The message text says Windows cannot find ‘Javaw.exe.’ Needless to say, many individuals tend to be frustrated when they see this error – particularly new users.
If you have ever come across this javaw.exe missing error, you should first check if the name is correct. That means you should check if the name is typed correctly. Then, give it a try once again.
If it still fails, you can try the solutions mentioned in the articles below. So, let’s go ahead and read about some practical solutions. We hope these solutions help you fix this error and let you use your applications smoothly.
What Are the Solutions to Try if Javaw.exe is Missing?
Now, let’s look at the possible solutions you can try if Javaw is missing. Some of these solutions might sound pretty obvious but are worth trying. On the other hand, you don’t have to use all those solutions at once.
Instead, you may try one solution after the other until you succeed. In fact, there are three solutions to try. Hopefully, these solutions will get you out of this situation.
Fix 1: Perform a Malware Scan Before Everything else
In many cases, javaw.exe missing can occur due to a malware infection. You may already know that malware can cause various issues in your system and prevent smooth operation. A missing Javaw is one of those issues that can result from a malware attack.
So, as the first step, you may assume that your computer is infected with malware. Then, you should perform a malware scan using a reliable malware scanner. In this case, you can use two main options. You can either use a third-party tool or the built-in tool provided by Microsoft itself.
This specific tool is named “Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.” You can get it free on your Windows PC and protect your system from malware. Also, you may use a third-party malware scanner to get it done. Be sure that the respective malware scanner is updated properly before the scan is commenced.
In addition to that, performing a malware scan regularly is important to maintain optimal security. Once the scan is completed, please restart the computer and check if the javaw.exe is missing.
Fix 2: Add the Path of Javaw to the System’s Environmental Variable
Let’s try this one if you didn’t acquire any satisfying results with the previous solution. With this specific method, you will manually change the variable path. This error appears when the system cannot find the Javaw file as expected.
So, the solution here is to add the respective executable file’s path to the environment variable path. And this time, you should do it manually. The truth is that many novice users are not aware of the process.
So, if you don’t know how to perform this solution, let’s learn how to do it.
01. As the first step, you should hit the Windows key and R key at the same time. That will bring the “Run” utility up.
02. Once the run utility is open, you can enter the text “sysdm.cpl” in the same box. After that, you can hit the “OK” or “Enter” key. That will bring up a separate window called “System Properties”.
03. When you are in the “System Properties” window, you should click on the tab “Advanced.” Then, you can see an “Environment Variables” option. Click on that option to proceed.
04. In the fourth step, you will see another popup menu. In this menu, you should hit the button labeled “New.” You can find this button under the section labeled “System Variables.”
05. Now, when you are in the new window, you will see two fields to input some text. You will see a field called “Variable Name.” Type the text “Path” in it and move to the next field called “Variable Value.”
In that, you are supposed to type the path of the Javaw file properly. Be sure that you type the path correctly because a single mistake can make errors. If you don’t know, mentioned below is the path for javaw.exe.
- For Windows 64-bit systems
- For Windows 32-bit systems
Important: If you are unaware of the correct path, you are supposed to perform a search in your system. You can use the search utility built into the system and perform a search with the keyword “Javaw.” Once the search results are displayed, you should perform right-click on the icon. After that, you will see a popup menu. Please click on the “Open File Location” to proceed. As a result, Windows File Explorer will open a new window with Javaw.
06. Now, you are supposed to click on the button labeled “OK.” That means the OK button in the window “New System Variable.” After that, you should click on the “OK” button, which is located in the windows called “Environment Variables.” You should also do the same in the window labeled “System Properties” to proceed.
Hopefully, the above should fix the javaw.exe missing error. If not, you can use the final solution mentioned below.
Fix 3: Go for a Java Reinstallation if Javaw.exe Is Missing
Well, if none of the above fixes have helped you so far, you should consider reinstalling Java. In fact, with a reinstallation, you can get rid of all the outdated or problematic versions of Java.
Then, with the installation of a fresh copy, you can expect a smoother operation. Eventually, you will not see the javaw.exe missing error anymore.
Let’s see how to perform this fix.
- First, please go to the “Control Panel” of the system.
- You can see a “View By” option when you are in the new window. Click on that and choose “Category.” After that, click on the “Uninstall a program” option.
- When you are in the new “Programs and Features” window, you should right-click on the option “Java.” Then, you should select the “Uninstall” option.
- You are supposed to follow the instructions displayed to complete the process.
- Restart the computer. After that, download the respective installed (Java). Then, run it and install it.
- Then, launch it and see if the error is gone.
So, those are the fixes to try if javaw.exe is missing. Hopefully, one of the above methods should fix this error and get things in order.