The “cannot open volume for direct access” error generally pops up upon scheduling the CHKDSK utility. As you may already know, the CHKDSK utility is used to repair corrupted disks.
One of the biggest concerns you may have after noticing this cannot open volume for direct access error is the security of their data.
They are worried that the recovery process will cause data loss on the corrupted device. Let’s see if we can resolve the issue and get your data back.
Causes of “cannot open volume for direct access” issue
The actual reasons behind the above annoying cannot open volume for direct access issue vary from one instance to another.
We have prepared a list of the most common cause for your reference.
- The disk on which you intend to perform a CHKDSK is corrupted
- The disk is physically damaged
- The respective disk has stains, dirt, or other external substances
- The disk is locked by third-party software (for instance, an antivirus) for additional protection
- Your version of Windows doesn’t have the latest service pack installed
What is the best way to fix the “cannot open volume for direct access” error?
Now that you know the most common reasons behind this issue. Let’s see how to fix it. Fixing the “cannot open volume for direct access” error is easier than you think.
If you have problems with the file or the directory is corrupted and unreadable, here are the best fixes.
Method #1: Disable if you have any third-party software installed to lock the device
To begin with, let’s try one of the most basic fixes for cannot open volume for direct access issues. To do this, you should first press both the Windows and R keys together on your keyboard. Then, you should see the “Run” dialog box.
In this dialog box, you should type in the text “services.msc” (without the inverted commas). Then, you can either hit the “Enter” key or press the “OK” button.
You will now see a separate window that pops out to show the services. You can go through the list of services displayed in this window. Just scroll up and down to see the running services at the moment.
From this list, you should be able to find the services that are likely to prevent accessing your device. Right-click on the potential services and opt to view the properties of that service.
You should now change the startup type. It should disable all the third-party software applications installed on the computer that might also cause CHKDSK.
Then, you should click on the “OK” button and close the “Services” window you have been managing so far. After that, you should try opening the CHKDSK option once again to see if the problem persists.
Method #2: Perform a clean boot and then run the CHKDSK utility
A clean boot is an option that can be used to resolve potential conflicts that take place between third-party apps. However, you should remember that the steps can vary slightly depending on the Windows version.
The best thing, in this case, is to visit the Microsoft knowledge base and learn how to perform a clean boot. They will show the steps depending on the version you are using.
However, below we offer a general way to fix the potential cannot open volume for direct access issues.
- Go to the Start button and perform a search with the exact text “msconfig.”
- Click on the option called “System Configuration” from the available results.
- Now, you should select the option “Service” located on the dialog box just opened.
- Select the option “Hide all Microsoft services” and then click on the “Disable All” option.
- Click on the “Startup” tab now and open the option “Open Task Manager.”
- To find the Startup item, you will have to select each option and make it disabled.
- You can now close the “Task Manager” option and click on the “OK” option located on the “System Configuration.”
- Perform a restart on the computer.
- You should now open the command prompt once again and perform the CHKDSK utility.
PS: If you are worried about these errors, just click to find the best answers: the system cannot find the file specified.
How to recover data from an external hard drive that is corrupted?
If none of the above methods doesn’t work for you, you have very limited options to try. It is always better to back up your data with an external source. You can consider using an SD card, USB, or even an external hard disk.
If the device can be accessed (opened) after connecting to the PC, you can copy data into any device. However, if you cannot open the device, you will have to try a different method.
For instance, you can consider using a professional data recovery tool like EaseUS free data recovery.
EaseUS Data Recovery tool is one of the most prominent options when it comes to data recovery. This powerful software shows exceptionally handy features to recover your valuable data. The user interface of the tool is pretty convenient for users.
Even if you are a novice user, you will be able to use this software without any hassle. This software can easily retrieve data from a variety of devices like external hard drives, SD cards, etc.
Following is the steps you should consider to recover data from a device.
1. First, download the software and install it on your PC.
2. Connect it first if you try to recover data off an external hard drive, USB, or SD card.
3. Then, you should select which type of device you intend to scan. That means you can select from options like “External Devices,” “Hard Disk Drives,” or even “Specify a location.”
4. Then, click on the option “Scan” and let the software find the lost data for you.
5. After the scan, you will be able to preview and restore the data. You can perform double-click on the files to preview them. The tabs are as follows.
- “Deleted Files” tab – This tab displays all the deleted files on the respective drive
- “Drive X” tab (X refers to the connected device) – This tab displays all the found files that are stored on the connected device
- “Lost Partition Files” tab – This is to display whether your hard drive is formatted
- “Extra Files” tab – This file checks for the lost names or paths on the respective drive
6. After this process, you can consider using the “Filter” option. Also, you can consider using the “Search” option. Both options let you find all the lost data without wasting any time.
7. Complete the procedure by clicking on “Recover.” Then, you can save the acquired lost data to be saved at a specific location. Make sure you remember the file path and the folder name correctly.
How to repair the external hard drive, SD card, or even USB drives through EaseUS Partition
If none of the options above can solve the cannot open volume for direct access issue, you should go for a professional tool. This is when we introduce a tool called EaseUS Free Partition Software.
This is an excellent alternative to the basic CHKDSK feature. This special software comes with the ability to repair various errors on hard drives and SD cards.
It has plenty of powerful features to help you repair the disks quicker, easier, and more effectively. This software is developed to be compatible with Windows versions ranging from XP to 11.
Why use EaseUS Free Partition Software?
Let’s take a look at the reasons why you should use EaseUS Free Partition Software.
- It can partition a new disk to provide a neatly arranged storage space
- It can make the C drive extended and make your Windows operating system efficiently
- You can create a partition using this tool and store the copies of available data
- You can use it to extend virtually full partition space to make your hard drives perform faster
How to use EaseUS Free Partition Software
Now you know the characteristics of this tool, let’s take a look at how to use it. We explain this process in a step-by-step mode so you can follow it easily, even if you are a beginner.
1. Download EaseUS Free Partition software in the first place and get it installed on your PC. Then, you should launch the software.
2. Right-click on the external hard drive, SD card, or USB device and click on “Check Partition.”
3. You can choose the method you need to repair the potential errors. Select an option from “Check Partition Properties, “Surface Test,” or “Call Windows CHKDSK” and choose the option “OK.”
4. Wait for a while so EaseUS Free Partition Software will scan and repair for potential errors. To complete the process, you must click on the option “OK.”
If the repairing feature doesn’t help, you should format the corrupted device using this tool.
Well, that is how to solve the “cannot open volume for direct access” issue and use the disk again. We hope this information will be helpful for our Windows-using readers. Good luck!