Many of those who deal with multimedia content might have come across the software called Audacity.
In simplest terms, Audacity is a free video editor. It lets you record, cut, and even optimize audio tracks. As of today, Audacity has become exceptionally popular as a sound editor, which is free to use.
Despite the fact that it is offered for free, it comes with a range of features and plugins. Compared to expensive, complex audio editors, Audacity offers reasonable features being a free audio editor.
With that said, let’s take a look at what is Audacity VST enabler and how to use it.
PS: click here to learn more about how to download music from Spotify for free.
An introduction to Audacity VST enabler
First, it is better to know what an Audacity VST enabler is. One of the unique features associated with Audacity is its VST enabler plugin. The term VST stands for Virtual Studio Technology.
With that said, the Audacity VST enabler plugin is capable of allowing users to edit and mix sounds from microphones. Also, it lets you record instruments that are connected to the computer.
In a nutshell, it allows users to input sound into the software using different types of devices. If you are an audio engineer, this is the ideal type of plugin that would deliver immense benefits. Also, if you are an enthusiastic musician, you can use this plugin to record music very conveniently.
How to install Audacity VST enabler?
Installation of the Audacity VST enabler plugin should be done as per the instructions mentioned below. We explain it in several steps so things will be even clear for you.
- 01. For those who use Audacity 1.2 or even older software, you don’t get the VST enabler preinstalled. So, if you intend to use it with an older version, you should get it installed by yourself. In order to get it done, you should download the installation file of the plugin. This is available on their official website (www.audacityteam.org/vst/).
- 02. Then, you should install the DLL file into its plug-ins folder. This folder is located within the installation folder of Audacity. If you are using a Windows PC, it can be found under program files. When it comes to MacOS X, on the other hand, it can be found within the applications folder.
- 03. After getting the plugin downloaded, you will see it in the form of a ZIP file. To install it, you should extract the file into the location it recommends. Now, you will see that the Audacity VST enabler is installed.
If you are using the latest Audacity version, you don’t need to worry about this installation. New Audacity applications come with preinstalled VST enabler plugin. So you don’t need to install it separately.
- 04. In order to get the VST plugin enabled, you will have to go to the ‘Edit‘ menu first. Then, you will have to choose an option called ‘Preferences.’ Then, you should choose the option called ‘Effects.’ After that, you will have to check ‘VST,’ which is located under the ‘Enable Effects‘ heading. Save the changes to exit that plugin.
Please note that this option doesn’t install VST plugins. Instead, it enables the already installed plugins. After completing the installation process and enabling it, you should proceed to install the plugins you prefer.
These plugins are available on several websites, and they are for free. Mentioned below are some of those websites that offer Audacity VST enabler plugins for free.
After downloading each of them, you can install them into the plugins folder we mentioned earlier.
How to use Audacity VST enabler plugins
Now that you know how to install and enable Audacity VST enabler. Let’s see how to use it. In fact, using the VST plugin is a straightforward process. Nevertheless, you will have to pay attention to a couple of things before proceeding.
- 01. First of all, you should go to the ‘Preferences‘ menu which we have mentioned before. Then, you should go to the ‘Effects‘ option. After that, check the option to ‘Rescan VST Effects Next Time Audacity is Started.’ Press ‘OK‘ so you will be able to get rid of the window. Once the changes are saved, you should restart Audacity. Doing so will make Audacity load all the newly installed effects. So, close the window and just relaunch the app. The plugins will now be available for you.
- 02. Now, get an audio file to apply effects. In order to do that, you should simply import or record an audio file. Now, choose for which segment of the track you will apply the effects. After that, you should press the ‘Stop‘ button, which appears in a brown-ish square shape.
- 03. Now, you should go to the ‘Effects‘ menu once again. Now, you can see the number of effects that can be applied to the track. Choose an effect from the available options.
- 04. In most cases, you will notice a dialog box appears with several options to select. With these options, you will be able to set aspects such as intensity, timing, etc. You can set the parameters as you wish so the changes will be applied on the track. After choosing the effects and respective parameters, you should press ‘OK‘ to apply them.
Troubleshoot the issues pertaining to Audacity VST enabler
Mentioned below are some of the most common issues associated with Audacity VST enabler. We explain how to fix all those issues by troubleshooting.
01. Can we use a different way to get VST Plugins installed?
Well, the answer is YES. There is another effective way to install VST plugins. To do that, you should go to ‘Effects.’ Then, go to the option labeled ‘Manage Effects, Generators, and Analysers.’
After choosing this option, you will be able to see a new dialog box opened. In that dialog box, you will see the new effect plugins within the directory. Make sure that you enable it.
If you use this method, you can eliminate the process of finding the installation folders for newly installed plugins. Make sure that you save the changes you made. The installed plugins will now be available when opening Audacity for the next time.
02. Some of the plugins I have installed don’t work. What’s the reason behind it?
It is true that Audacity is compatible with a large number of plugins available. However, it doesn’t work with plugins like VSTi and VST Instruments. These plugins comprise synth, guitar, etc.
In addition to that, Audacity is not compatible with real-time effects. It also doesn’t work with the effects that necessarily change audio data while they are being played.
So, as a result, you will not be able to fix it by enabling or re-enabling those effects. In a nutshell, it is a compatibility issue that cannot be fixed.
03. When I apply an effect to a selected audio segment, the effects are greyed out. What’s the reason behind it?
This instance actually emerges when Audacity is currently playing the respective track. You cannot apply an effect until you stop it. So, to fix this issue, you will have to click on the ‘STOP‘ button and then start the editing process.
04. Some of the VST plugins are not displayed properly. How to fix it?
In order to fix the plugins that aren’t correctly displayed, you should go to the ‘Effects‘ option. When the dialog box opens, you should go to ‘Options.’
As a result, you will be able to open the ‘VST Effect‘ related to the respective effect. In this dialog box, you should uncheck the option called ‘Enable Graphical Interface.’ Then, press ‘OK.’ When you open the effects once again, they will be displayed in a proper manner.
That’s our introduction to Audacity VST enabler and how to use it. It is absolutely true that Audacity comes as a superb platform for editing audio files creatively. You can find plenty of effects to download from the internet and use with this software. Moreover, new effects are being introduced in a frequent manner.