Are you facing the stubborn 0x800706ba error? The 0x800706ba error occurs due to improper system configuration.
If you have made mistakes while configuring your machine, or if you have installed a program that meddles with system settings, you are likely to face this error.
There are special software programs to fix the 0x800706ba error. However, you must try and understand what caused the issue in the first place.
What Does 0x800706ba Mean?
By definition, the 0x800706ba error represents an application or component that has failed. The error is accompanied by details of why it happened and which component failed.
This error occurs due to a number of reasons. Thus, it is difficult to rectify and prevent the error without understanding the actual cause.
Besides, click here to find out how to fix the error 0x80072f8f.
Major Reasons Behind The 0x800706ba Error
First of all, the 0x800706ba error signals that something is wrong with your machine. And that the system is not able to function properly. Common reasons behind this error are:
- You have not installed some software correctly.
- There are invalid entries in your machine’s registry.
- It could be caused by malware or a virus.
- Your system was not shut down properly. Power failure might have caused the system to shut down abruptly.
- You may have deleted an important registry entry.
Fortunately, you can repair the 0x800706ba error easily. There are various tools to help you with the process.
Method 1 – Reset Windows Updates
First things first, you should try to reset windows updates. A major reason behind the 0x800706ba error is a failing program. And, a program that was once running fine will fail only with an update. Resetting updates using manual methods is simple and effective.
To reset windows updates, you should follow these steps:
- Login to your machine as a system administrator.
- Now, open the command prompt. Pressing the “Windows and X” keys will open the command prompt in admin mode.
- Next, you should type the following commands:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
Once the above commands are executed, verify if the 0x800706ba error is rectified. Technically, resetting windows updates should fix the problem permanently. That is because the 0x800706ba error is caused by a change that conflicts with the existing configuration of your applications.
The only catch in this method would be whether the reset happened fully or not. Since the resetting is done manually, you should watch out for missed commands.
PS: If you are facing issues like the 0x80072f8f, click to fix them now.
Method 2 – Critical Windows Update Services
There are several Windows Update services to make sure that patches and updates are downloaded into your machine and installed without any hassles. It is important to ensure that updates are securely downloaded too!
Critical windows updates services would be Background Intelligent Transfer, Workstation, and Windows Update. If any of these services are turned off, you are likely to experience the 0x800706ba error.
To fix the 0x800706ba error caused due to Windows Update services, you must follow these steps:
- Launch the run window. Now, you must type “services.msc” and select OK.
- Next, double click on the Windows Update option;
- Now, double click on the Workstation option;
- Next, double click on the Background Intelligent Transfer service option;
- And then select “Automatic” as the mode for executing these services. The “Startup Type” should be “Automatic.”
- Now, click on “Start” and then select “Apply.”
- To complete the process, you must restart your machine.
Method 3 – SFC & DISM
In many cases, the 0x800706ba error is caused due to corrupt registry entries and system files. Windows has a built-in tool to help you handle these corrupted files. And, that would be the System File Checker alias SFC.
Running the SFC scanner is a very simple process:
- Login to your machine in admin mode and run the command prompt.
- Now, you should type sfc /scannow and then hit the “Enter” key.
- You should wait for the scan to be completed. This will take several minutes.
Once the scan is done, you can expect the 0x800706ba error to be gone. However, if the SFC tool is unable to fix the 0x800706ba error, you can rely on Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM).
To execute DISM, these steps should be followed:
- Login to your machine as an administrator and run the command prompt.
- Type the following command: dism.exe /online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- If your DISM module is unable to load certain files, it will throw an error. Now, you can use your installation drive (USB or DVD) to execute the above command. However, the command to be used now is: dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source: C:/< Path to your DVD or USB> /LimitAccess
Method 4 – Update Troubleshooter to Fix 0x800706ba Error
If all of the methods mentioned above fail, you can make use of the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Once again, this is an inbuilt Windows tool. It is often used to rectify the 0x800706ba error.
However, this tool can fix the 0x800706ba error only if it is caused by updates. If the error is caused due to failing registry files, you cannot use the TroubleshooterTroubleshooter to fix the 0x800706ba issue.
Using the Windows Update Troubleshooter is extremely simple.
Here is a step overview of how the Troubleshooter can be used:
- You must navigate to “Start” and type “Settings.”
- Navigate to “Update & Security.”
- Next, select “Troubleshoot.”
- Next, look for Windows Update & select “Run the Troubleshooter.” The following screens will be comprehensive and loaded with instructions on what has to be performed. Follow these instructions and restart your machine.
Method 5 – Advanced Solution
If you are familiar with your machine, you can choose to fix the 0x800706ba error by restoring the system to an earlier point in time. In order to restore your machine to a specific time, the following steps should be performed:
- Login to your machine as an admin and click on the start button.
- Now, select “System Restore” under “System Tools.”
- Now, select “Restore my computer to an earlier time.”
- Next, you should choose a restore point. You will be given a list of restore points. Choose the ideal one.
- Click “Next” in the following confirmation window.
When your system restarts, check if the 0x800706ba error is gone. If the error is still present, you may have to choose a different restore point.
Method 6 – The Manual Method to Fix 0x800706ba Error
Last but certainly not least, you can fix the 0x800706ba error using manual updates.
Fixing the error through manual updates is not an easy task. That is because you should navigate to the Microsoft website, find their update catalog, and pick the right update. This is definitely the toughest and most time-consuming way of resolving the 0x800706ba error.
For downloading the right update, you must scan through a huge number of updates. You must spot the right update code, which caused the 0x800706ba error in the first place.
In general, all windows updates start with “KB.” The numbers following “KB” will help you find a specific update. Only when you find the right update will you be able to download, install, and fix the 0x800706ba error.
Here is a simple overview of how to download updates manually:
- Navigate to the Microsoft website and search for the Microsoft Update Catalog for Windows.
- Enter the update code, before which the 0x800706ba error was not occurring. Now hit “Enter.”
- You will find so many updates with a similar code. Choose the update that matches your system architecture.
- Download the chosen update and install it.
- After the update has been successfully installed, you must restart the machine.
When your system restarts, check if the 0x800706ba error is gone. Most of the time, the 0x800706ba error will persist if the wrong update is downloaded and installed.
And, if the error still exists, you can be sure that the updated downloaded was not right. In such a situation, you must repeat the entire process again.
As mentioned previously, choosing to install an update to fix the 0x800706ba error manually must be your last option.
Fixing the 0x800706ba error becomes easy if you are aware of how your machine was functioning before each update. Thorough knowledge of the updates executed in your machine can help you rectify the 0x800706ba error in no time!
Nevertheless, if you are unaware of the updates installed, the points discussed in this post will help you!