What if Hulu not working on Apple TV when you try to sit back and enjoy your favorite movie?
You may get frustrated and start trying various solutions to overcome it.
But you don’t have to look any further as this article explains every practical solution.
Introduction to Hulu
In today’s world of endless streaming options, Hulu has become a popular choice for entertainment lovers. It’s a subscription-based video-on-demand service that offers a vast collection of TV shows, movies, and documentaries from various networks.
With its user-friendly interface and diverse selection of content, Hulu has gained a loyal following of viewers. Whether you’re a fan of classic sitcoms or the latest dramas, Hulu has something for everyone. It has the ability to stream on multiple devices, including your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone. So, it lets you enjoy your favorite shows anytime, anywhere.
In this article, we’ll be focusing on how to troubleshoot Hulu not working on Apple TV. However, it’s important to note that Hulu is a fantastic streaming service that provides endless entertainment options.
What Makes Hulu Not Work on Apple TV?
There can be several reasons why Hulu is not working on an Apple TV. Here are some of the most common causes.
1. Unstable Internet Connection
Hulu requires a stable internet connection to work properly. If your internet connection is unstable or weak, it can cause buffering issues, slow loading times, and other problems.
2. Outdated App or Software
If you haven’t updated your Hulu app or Apple TV software recently, it could be causing compatibility issues. And it might prevent Hulu from working correctly.
3. Account Issues
Sometimes, Hulu may not work on your Apple TV due to account-related issues such as an expired subscription. Incorrect login details or a billing problem are among other reasons that may trigger this issue.
4. Device Malfunction
If your Apple TV is experiencing hardware or software problems, it may affect the performance of the Hulu app. That will eventually lead to malfunction.
5. Regional Restrictions
Hulu isn’t available in all countries, and even if it is, the content may vary depending on your location. If you’re trying to access Hulu from a region where it’s not available, it may not work properly.
Besides, here are the best solutions you can try if you see an Apple TV black screen. We believe at least one of these solutions will help you overcome this issue.
What Are the Solutions to Fix This Issue
Mentioned below are the solutions to try if Hulu is not working on Apple TV.
Fix 01: Restart Your Apple TV
Restarting your Apple TV is one of the first troubleshooting steps you should try. Here’s how to do it.
- Press & hold the “Menu” and “Home” buttons on your Apple TV remote simultaneously.
- Keep holding the buttons down until the light on the front of the Apple TV starts flashing rapidly.
- Release the buttons, and your Apple TV will restart.
- Once the Apple TV has restarted, launch the Hulu app and see if it’s working correctly.
Restarting your Apple TV can help clear any temporary glitches or issues that may be causing issues in Hulu.
If this doesn’t solve the problem, you can move on to other troubleshooting steps that are mentioned below.
Fix 02: Chang Your Device’s DNS Settings
Here’s another solution you can try. You should change the DNS (Domain Name System) settings on your device. Below are the steps that should be followed.
1. On your Apple TV, go to “Settings” and select “General“.
2. Scroll down and select “Network“.
3. Select the Wi-Fi network you’re currently connected to.
4. Scroll down and select “Configure DNS“.
5. Select “Manual” and enter the following DNS addresses:
- For Google DNS, enter 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
- For OpenDNS, enter 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
6. Press “Done” to save the changes.
7. Restart your Apple TV.
By changing your DNS settings, you’re essentially using a different server to connect to the internet.
This can help fix issues with your current DNS provider that may be causing Hulu to not work correctly.
After changing your DNS settings and restarting your Apple TV, launch Hulu and see if it’s working correctly.
Fix 03: Disable Your Apple TV’s 4K Option
If your Apple TV has 4K enabled in it, that might be a reason for Hulu to stop working.
In this case, you can simply fix this issue by disabling the 4K feature on your TV.
- On your Apple TV, go to “Settings” and select “Video & Audio“.
- Select “Format“.
- If “4K” is selected, switch to “1080p SDR“.
- Restart your Apple TV.
By disabling the 4K option, you’re reducing the demand on your internet connection.
This step can help improve the performance of the Hulu app.
Once you have done that, you can launch the Hulu app and see if it’s working correctly.
Fix 04: Update Your Apple TV’s Apps
If you’re experiencing issues with Hulu not working on your Apple TV, updating the app may be a solution.
Here’s how to do it.
- On your Apple TV, go to the home screen and select the “App Store” app.
- Once you’re in the App Store, select the “Updates” tab.
- If there’s an available update for the Hulu app, select “Update” next to the app.
- Wait for the update to download/install.
- Once the update is complete, launch the Hulu app and see if it’s working correctly.
Updating the Hulu app can help fix any bugs or compatibility issues that may be causing it to malfunction. It’s always a good idea to keep your apps up to date to ensure they’re working correctly.
Fix 05: Reset the TV
If Hulu is not working on Apple TV even after the above methods, here’s another option. This method will cause data loss on your device.
1. On your Apple TV, go to “Settings” and select “System“.
2. Select “Reset“.
3. Choose the option to “Reset All Settings“.
4. Enter your passcode if prompted.
5. Confirm that you want to reset your Apple TV.
6. Wait for the reset process to finish, which may take a few minutes.
7. after the reset is complete, you’ll need to set up your Apple TV again from scratch. In fact, you even have to sign in to your accounts and downloading apps.
Also, many streamers have complained about Hulu not working on Samsung Smart TV. Let’s figure out the reasons and best seven solutions to easily fix it.
What If the Problem is Directly Related to Hulu Itself?
In some cases, the issue may relate directly to Hulu itself but not Apple TV. If you have faced this issue and want to solve this issue, here’s what you can do.
Fix 01: Force Close the Hulu App and Reopen It
If you’re experiencing issues with Hulu not working on your Apple TV, this solution may work.
So, you should force closing and reopening the app is a quick and easy troubleshooting step to try.
Here’s how to do it.
- Double-click the “Home” button on your Apple TV remote to bring up the app switcher.
- Swipe left or right to locate the Hulu app.
- Swipe up on the Hulu app to force close it.
- Wait a few seconds, then press the “Home” button on your remote to return to the home screen.
- Launch the Hulu app again and see if it’s working correctly.
Force closing the Hulu app can help clear any temporary glitches that may be causing it to malfunction.
Fix 02: Check If the Hulu Servers Are Down
If Hulu is not working on Apple TV, you should check if its servers are working fine.
As you know, Hulu is a service that works online servers. If the servers are down, you cannot watch any content through Hulu.
So, it is recommended to use an online tool like Downdetector to see the status of Hulu.
Fix 03: Log out of the Hulu Profile and Log in Again
Do you notice Hulu not working on Apple TV? If so, logging out and then logging back into your Hulu account may help.
Here’s how to do it.
- Launch the Hulu app on your Apple TV.
- Navigate to the “Account” tab in the bottom navigation menu.
- Select “Log Out“.
- Wait a few seconds for the app to log you out.
- Once you are logged out successfully, select “Log In” and enter your Hulu credentials.
- Follow the prompts to complete the login process.
This method can help refresh the connection between the app and the Hulu servers. So it will resolve any issues that may be causing the app to not work properly.
Fix 04: Check for Compatibility
You must have an Apple TV 4th Gen or newer for Hulu to work properly.
Fix 05: Update the Hulu App
If nothing has worked, try to update the Hulu app and see if it works.
- On your Apple TV, go to Apple Store.
- Go to the area called “Purchased” and find Hulu.
- Click “Update“. Then, follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
- Q: Why is Hulu not working on my Apple TV?
- A: There could be several reasons, such as compatibility issues, network problems, or glitches in the Hulu app or Apple TV software.
- Q: How can I check the server status of Hulu?
- A: You can visit the Hulu website or use an online service that provides real-time server status information.
- Q: Will resetting my Apple TV erase all my data?
- A: Yes, a factory reset will remove all data and settings from your Apple TV, so it’s important to backup any important content beforehand.
- Q: What should I do if none of the troubleshooting steps work?
- A: If you have tried all the troubleshooting steps and Hulu still doesn’t work on your Apple TV, it’s recommended to contact Hulu support for further assistance.
- Q: Can I use a VPN or proxy with Hulu on Apple TV?
- A: While some VPNs or proxies may work with Hulu, it’s possible that they can cause issues. Try disabling them to see if it resolves the problem.
In conclusion, Hulu not working on Apple TV can be a frustrating issue, but there are several troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve it.
By ensuring a stable internet connection, updating the Hulu app and Apple TV software, clearing cache and data, disabling VPN or proxy services, restarting devices, checking Hulu server status, and reaching out to Hulu support if needed, you increase the chances of getting Hulu to work seamlessly on your Apple TV again.