Listening to music on your iPhone can be very limiting. Not only do you have to wear earphones or carry your phone around with you, but there’s also the limitation of how loud you can have the volume.
Watching movies at home is too limiting. Televisions aren’t equipped to provide a true cinematic experience, so their volume can only be so high. There are two ways to get ahead of both these problems: either with surround sound speakers or, our preference, buying some of the best ceiling speakers.
In the past, ceiling speakers weren’t the most affordable accessory to buy. However, over the last decade, they’ve fallen in price and aren’t difficult to install either. So, let’s take a look at some of the top ceiling speakers that you can buy this year.
How to Pick a Best Ceiling Speaker
First, let’s consider what to keep an eye out for when you’re choosing which ceiling speakers to spend money on. Here are a few things to help you make a decision:
Setting a Budget
How much you spend on ceiling speakers is up to you. Generally speaking, the more money you invest, the better the quality of the product. As such, if you’re tight on money, set a reasonable budget that you can afford to spend, and don’t go above it.
Hardwire or Battery
Some of the best ceiling speakers require electrical wiring, but battery-powered speakers are just as good. If you buy speakers that need to be connected to your electrical mains, then you must also hire a professional electrician to install them for you. Battery speakers, though, are easy to install yourself.
Buying in Bulk
Consider how many speakers you need for the room you’re installing them in. Many speakers are sold in multipacks so that you don’t have to buy them individually.
Even if you buy a set of battery ceiling speakers, you may have to connect them to your television with wires. Fortunately, some speakers have batteries and connect to systems wirelessly.
Like we said before, the more you spend, the better the quality. Even if you’re on a tight budget with this purchase, some lower-end speakers still provide decent sound quality.
Consider the room you’re going to install these ceiling speakers. If you’re going to have them in your kitchen, bedroom, or living room, then this won’t be a huge concern.
But if you’re buying them for your bathroom, focus on water-resistant speakers. This is important because if condensation gets into the speakers, they’ll break.
Finally, don’t place all of your faith in online reviews. Although these are a good indicator of if other customers were happy with the product, fake reviews are all too common. Do your research and find out for yourself!
As you can tell, there are a lot of different factors to consider with this purchase. Hopefully, by the time you’ve read our review of ceiling speakers below, you’ll be able to make a better decision.
Installing the Best Ceiling Speakers
Following on from what we said before, some ceiling speakers require professional installation. You should never attempt to install ceiling speakers which require hard wiring unless you have the necessary training. It is incredibly dangerous.
Furthermore, depending on your living situation, you might have to request permission to install ceiling speakers. When wiring is involved, this becomes even more difficult.
Keeping both of these things in mind, your best bet is to get wireless ceiling speakers. Not only do they install very easily, but there’s no risk of damaging the electrical works of your home. They’re also much easier to replace if they break.
In addition, here are the best center channel speakers for dialogue you should check out.
Do You Need to Maintain Ceiling Speakers?
After you install the speakers, you’re good to go. But many people wonder about maintaining their ceiling speakers and whether or not it’s actually necessary.
This will depend on the specific type of speaker you have. For speakers that you install and connect to your main electric circuit, you should have an electrician inspect them regularly (once annually). Wireless speakers are much simpler – the only maintenance you have to do is replace their batteries as needed.
In this case, wireless and battery-powered speakers are far more convenient.
Top 10 Best Ceiling Speakers
With so many different manufacturers out there and so many types of speakers to choose from, it’s not easy to find what you’re looking for.
So, to take this stress off your shoulders, here are the ten best ceiling speakers that we believe are worth buying for your home.
#1 – Polk Audio RC80i
First on the list is straight from Polk Audio, a popular manufacturer of all speakers. From their home sound systems to car stereos, Polk Audio doesn’t disappoint – this extends to the RC80i ceiling speaker.
- Each pack you purchase includes two ceiling speakers
- Water and rust-resistant coating, which enables them for bathroom use
- It comes in 2 different sizes (either a diameter of 6.5 or 8 inches)
- A lightweight product that reduces the stress of the weight on your ceiling
- 15-degree swivel so that audio can be projected accurately
These speakers provide a dynamically balanced audio experience, and they are suitable for any situation. Home stereo systems, home theatres, or for simply getting more out of your television. You name it; these ceiling speakers are suited to the job.
Regarding materials, durability doesn’t begin to describe the Polk Audio RC80i. As well as being rust and water-resistant, it also uses rubber padding. This prevents the best ceiling speakers from scratching your roof and also eliminates sound loss!
- Affordable speakers, not at all expensive
- Water-resistant and rust-resistant
- Lay them flat on your ceiling so that they are barely noticeable
- Suitable for bathrooms (not all ceiling speakers are)
#2 – Acoustic Audio CS-IC83
Although these speakers are a bit on the pricier end of the spectrum, the Acoustic Audio CS-IC83 is one of the more prestigious ceiling speakers sets out there. Currently, these speakers are sold in packs of 5, justifying their higher price of them.
Each speaker is about 11 inches in diameter, and the subwoofers are 8 inches wide to provide a more immersive audio experience.
- Perfect for ceilings as well as walls
- Suitable for home theatres, sound systems, or outdoor use
- Integrated surface lock mounting system
- Includes installation instructions so that anyone can install them
- Includes accurate templates for cutting out the area where the speakers will be
The CS-IC83 speakers also have rubber padding to reduce sound leaking. When it comes to powering them, they do require hard wiring and between 20-350 watts of power each. If you’re installing a lot of speakers, this power can add up.
- You can paint the speakers without damaging them so that they suit their surroundings
- Installation instructions make it easier for a professional to understand the specific installation process (also minimizes the risk of accidental damage)
- Suitable for virtually any situation, inside and outside
#3 – Klipsch CDT-5650-C II
Next up on this list of the best ceiling speakers is the Klipsch IK-650-C II. This is an older product and is definitely one of the most expensive, but it’s still a favorite of ours.
Even though you can paint the speakers, their design is neutral. They use CDT (Controlled Dispersion Technology), which projects the audio, regardless of how high or low the frequency is, towards the listener without a drop in quality. T
o top it off, as the tweeter is separate from the woofer, the speaker can direct the audio even more accurately toward you.
- Has a rotatable woofer (360-degree) that is 6.5 inches in diameter
- The tweeter is made from titanium and swivels at 100 degrees
- You can purchase a Klipsch CDT-5650-C II installation kit separately
- It can be switched between treble and mid-bass attenuation
There are a couple of downsides to these speakers, though. Sure, they offer a high-quality audio experience, and you can angle them to enhance this. However, since they are no longer available from Klipsch, their price tag is roughly $350. Furthermore, they aren’t suitable for outside use.
- Easy to use and simple to adjust
- It can be painted to fit in with the rest of your room
- It Provides high-quality audio whilst using just 50 watts of power
- Evenly projects audio
#4 – Micca M-8C
If we take a step back down and look at the cheaper ceiling speakers, the Micca M-8C is one that stands out. Aside from the fact that it’s affordable, you can buy it in multiple sizes (either 6.5 or 8 inches).
For an even more immersive sound system, the manufacturer also sells the same model but for in-wall installations.
- The woofer has a diameter of 8 inches, and the tweeter is 1-inch wide with a soft dome
- The 2-way speaker provides high-quality audio with robust bass
- Designed with home theatre and home speaker systems in mind
- Includes installation instructions (as well as a template and the necessary mount screws)
Since this speaker has a built-in woofer, there’s no need for you to buy a subwoofer. Many people opt to buy a subwoofer with speakers, which can raise the price, so this is a bonus. With the 1-inch tweeter, everything that plays through these speakers is as clear as possible. There’s not much to a flaw with this one!
- More affordable than other speakers, even when you buy them in bulk
- Available in 2 different sizes and as wall speakers
- Simple installation that won’t require you to hire a professional
- While cheaper, this doesn’t compromise the sound quality
#5 – Polk Audio 255C-RT
Another of the best ceiling speakers you can get from Polk Audio is the 255C-RT. Again, this one has a high price, but it’s also different from the others we’ve shown you so far. You can mount this speaker on your ceiling or in-wall.
- Central channel speaker that is a 3-way class
- Dual-band bass support
- Silk dome tweeters can rotate up to 15 degrees
- Rectangle shape speakers
- Rubber base surrounding to eliminate sound loss
Aside from having a very high price, there isn’t anything to criticize this speaker. It delivers high-quality audio, supports directional audio, and the low-frequency tweeters compensate for any drop in audio quality from audio reflecting. On top of that, Polk Audio’s bass venting design ensures that no bass is lost, either.
For the speaker’s durability, you won’t have to buy a new one for years: fantastic audio, a long-lasting ceiling speaker, and a simplistic design. You couldn’t ask for a better audio delivery system.
- Suitable for mounting on your ceiling or walls
- Easy installation for anyone (a professional is preferable)
- Purchasing this speaker on Amazon also gives you the option to buy a 2-year breakdown cover
- Dual-band bass is very effective with these
#6 – Polk Audio RC65i
Polk Audio continues to impress us with its in-ceiling speakers, hence making a third appearance on this list with the RC65i.
This 2-way speaker is meant for in-wall use but works just as well for in-ceiling systems. Each purchase includes a pair of speakers, and you can choose between 5.25, 6.5, and 8-inch speakers.
- Available in three different sizes
- Made with water-resistant materials (suitable for every room)
- 0.75-inch tweeter, which rotates to enhance audio quality
- Flawless left and right channel sound quality
- An easy installation process that does not require a professional
Of course, the price of this entry on our best ceiling speaker list might dissuade you. But if you can afford the extra money, these speakers won’t ever need replacing.
The rotating tweeter allows the speaker to position itself accordingly, making the audio’s direction more accurate. Let’s not forget the dynamic woofer, which is slightly smaller than other speakers but is capable of projecting audio in larger rooms.
- No need to pay extra installation fees
- Fit smoothly against surfaces
- Even the smallest size can get very loud
- Water resistance means you can put this outside and in bathrooms
#7 – Yamaha NSIC800WH
A surprisingly great speaker is Yamaha’s NSIC800WH. Its quality is on par with the other best ceiling speakers, but it’s much more affordable than the likes of the Klipsch CDT-5650-C II.
When buying these speakers, you’ll get two 2-way crossover speakers. Mounting them is incredibly simple, and after installing them, the speakers’ built-in cooling will prevent any heat damage.
- 2-way class ceiling speakers
- Built-in liquid/fluid cooling in the tweeter’s soft dome
- Tweeter has a swivel mount to ensure evenly spread sound quality
- Made with durable materials
- Detachable mesh cover that you can paint the same color as your ceiling
It’s always safer to have someone who knows what they’re doing install a new electrical device. That said, if you’re up for the task, these are relatively easy to install (especially considering the expert electrical design). Alongside the tweeter, the woofer cone also enhances the sound distribution and heightens the quality.
- The detachable cover makes it much easier to paint the speaker
- Liquid cooling protects the fragile components from unnecessary heat damage
- Mounting clamps are incredibly secure so that the speakers are kept in place with no risk of falling
- This speaker set is cheaper than most higher-end ceiling speakers
#8 – Pyle PDIC60T
Pyle sells a wide range of audio equipment. From their professional recording equipment to home sound systems, they always have impressive products. Their PDIC60T in-ceiling speakers are no exception.
The diameter is only 9 inches, which is a slight step up from other options, and the audio quality is top-notch. The only downside of the Pyle PDIC60T is that it can use up to 250 watts which, when we compare it to other speakers, is a jump-up.
- 1-inch titanium tweeter that is adjustable
- Includes templates for cutting out the necessary ceiling space
- 1-inch high-temperature coil
- Fits in ceilings and walls
- Sleek and flat design
A common complaint that we’ve seen buyers make about this speaker is the bass. When you have your audio on a low volume, the bass is weak, but higher volumes deliver your audio with stronger bass. We cannot confirm this, but it’s only a minor flaw anyway.
These speakers are perfect for anywhere but your bathroom, as they aren’t water-resistant. Nonetheless, installing them is pretty straightforward, and when you start using them, you’ll quickly realize how well they perform and the high quality of audio they project.
- The design allows the speaker to fit in with any room’s décor
- The titanium tweeter enhances the directional quality of the audio
- High-temperature coil stops the speaker from overheating
#9 – Acoustic Audio R191
At first glance, the price of the Acoustic Audio R191 seems average, and this is true. If you look closer at it, then you’ll see that you get five speakers for that price – that alone is enough to sway our opinion of it.
Each speaker requires up to 200 watts of power and has a diameter of a little over 7.5 inches. Like the Micca M-8C, this best ceiling speakers entry was designed with home theatres in mind.
- Rubber rim cover to prevent ceiling scuffs and minimize sound loss
- Soft dome tweets with a width of 1-inch
- Moisture-proof (you can install these in your bathroom or yard)
- Woofers have a diameter of 5.25-inches with polypropylene cones
After installing them in your home, the wall-locking mount will securely keep the speaker in place. The rubber rim might just seem like a minor feature, but when it comes to sound quality and volume, this has a big impact.
- That is incredibly reasonable pricing, especially considering that you receive five speakers
- Very easy to fit and comes with detailed instructions too
- Suitable not just for home systems but for outdoor and commercial use too
- You can paint them without damaging the materials
#10 – Yamaha NS-IW280CWH
Finally, last on our list is the Yamaha NS-IW280CWH. You can purchase this speaker in a bundle of 2, 4, or 6, depending on how many you need for the desired room.
- The tweeter is on a swivel mount for even sound dispersion
- Uses Yamaha’s SoundMax technology to enhance the sound quality in large rooms
- 3-way speaker classification
- The tilting woofer enhances the quality of directional sound
The addition of SoundMax is a big benefit to using NS-IW280CWH speakers. As well as enhancing the precision of the audio’s direction, they indirectly improve the quality of the audio too. Once you have your speakers set up, you can paint them too!
- Mid-range pricing gives people on a budget the chance to buy a high-quality product
- Quick and easy installation
- The accurate sound spread due to the tweeter’s swivel mount and tilting woofer
Tips to Remember
Before we wrap up this article, here’s a quick checklist of things to remember when purchasing ceiling speakers.
- Think practically about how many speakers you’ll need for the room you’re going to install them in
- Set a strict budget (it’s too easy to overspend, and speakers can get very expensive!)
- Check if the speakers you are buying are compatible with the devices you want to use with them
- If you don’t want to buy wireless speakers, add installation costs to your budget
There are a lot of different speakers out there, and we’re confident that in our list above, you can find the best ceiling speakers that 2019 has to show. With our advice on what to look out for, along with these tips, you’ll have a top-notch speaker set up in no time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1: Can I install ceiling speakers in any room?
Yes, ceiling speakers can be installed in any room, including living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, and bathrooms. However, it’s essential to consider the room’s acoustics and speaker placement for optimal sound quality.
2: How many ceiling speakers do I need for optimal sound quality?
The number of ceiling speakers required depends on the room size and your audio preferences. As a general guideline, one pair of speakers (two speakers) is suitable for most small to medium-sized rooms. Larger rooms may require additional speakers for better coverage.
3: Can I use ceiling speakers for outdoor applications?
While some ceiling speakers are designed for outdoor use, it’s crucial to check the specifications and suitability of the speakers for outdoor environments. Outdoor-rated ceiling speakers are built to withstand exposure to the elements and provide reliable performance.
4: Do ceiling speakers require professional installation?
Ceiling speaker installation can be done as a DIY project if you have basic knowledge of wiring and construction. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the installation process, it’s recommended to consult a professional installer to ensure proper placement and connection.
5: Can I connect ceiling speakers to my existing audio system?
Yes, ceiling speakers can be integrated into your existing audio system. Ensure compatibility with your amplifier or receiver, and connect the speakers using speaker wires or audio cables.
To Conclude for the Best Ceiling Speakers
Buying ceiling speakers can quickly get expensive if you decide to go all out and then pay a professional to set everything up for you.
So, if you want to buy speakers that’ll give you the most value for money, you might as well take the time to look at the different ceiling speakers you can buy.
Each product on our list of the best ceiling speakers offers great sound quality and is undoubtedly worth your money.
Hopefully, now that you know what to look for and the different types of speakers out there, you can deice which ones to get and install.